16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Card and fiber loads
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:58 pm  Reply with quote

Byrdog ++1. This is perfect advice. This is the way we all re-loaded before the emergence of the plastic wad units we all take for granted now. (Remington was first with it's Power Piston series.) You show more old-school craft by cutting your own conventional wadding -- congrats. I use slices of wine corks sometimes in 12's and 10's, but I need to follow your technique and get some arch punches. Thanks.
sharps4590
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:07 am  Reply with quote

It is ALWAYS interesting, informative and educational to read how others achieve the same end. Great thread!!

Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools. Romans 1:22

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it.
Boats
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:09 am  Reply with quote

Like others have said it's easy to load stacked and some good reasons to do it.

I have a 1965 copy of Jack OConnors shotgun book that talks about the "New" one piece plastic wads. Dates the demise of stacked.

Clean up is faster if you use a 1/2 inch Delrin rod with Power Screwdriver bit in one end shotgun brush fitting in the other. 0000 steel wool around the brush lubed with some Hoppes lead comes out fast. My 1876 Parker Lifter with a pitted bore used with stacked wads and Black Powder is a chore brushing in and out. Spin under power it's quick work

Boats
Old16ga
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:22 am  Reply with quote

MaximumSmoke wrote:
Anyone remember the old Alcan Quick-Sert plastic protector you could load through the wad guide of your machine? They are pretty much long gone, but you might run into a box of them once in a great while.

Yep. I had several boxes of them, along with PGS plastic overpowder wads, and a bunch of old Alcan felt wads I sold to a 16GA Society member a couple of years ago. My Dad and I used those for years when loading in the late 60s and 70s. Back then, you could load most any hull as long as you had a variety of different thickness wads to make up the appropriate wad column. We used old hulls until they literally fell apart. We were frugal and living in a rural area....it was hard to find once-fired 16ga hulls!

Those Qwik-Serts improved our patterns greatly, without tightening them up like Power Pistons seemed to. Being bird hunters and limited to fixed-choke barrels, an open pattern was essential!

My other shotgun is a 28!

The 28 Gauge Society
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:10 pm  Reply with quote

The only issue with adding a wrapper made out of Mylar, is that it can raise the pressures substantially, in the order of up to 2,500 PSI. Even putting Mylar inside a plastic wad increases pressures.

I like the paper wrapper idea better.

Can someone that uses paper shot wrappers tell me what paper types they have used and which one they liked best?

Thanks.......I have a bunch of the Alcan stuff left that I would like to use, but I don't want to have to scrub out lead fouling.

byrdog
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:17 am  Reply with quote

Brown Kraft paper, Red Rosin paper, Heavy freezer paper smooth side in

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:52 am  Reply with quote

Mark , I've been real hesitant to mention mylar wraps and am glad to see someone has had the experience . We used mylar rectangles at work to clean hoppers , and they are TOUGH ! They do not want to shear , and I've never been able to convince myself to try them . Like the paper idea also . Will probably use a paper one in the mag just to minimize leading , but so far 10 shots haven't started any trouble in the Stevens .

Boats
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:53 am  Reply with quote

It takes Leading a while to develop. My 12 G Black Powder loads used for Sporting Clays & 5 Stand gun leads if I don't keep the bore lightly lubed during long strings of shots.

Little spray of 50/50 antifreeze and water from a small eyeglass cleaner squirt bottle between stations followed by a dry patch each barrel, It does not lead at all. If I carried it hunting dozen shots probably no need to spray and wipe

Way back when black powder and stacked loads were used doubt if they had 100 shot strings without cleaning in mind.

Boats
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:14 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the ideas on paper wrappers. How thick is the red rosin paper you have used and where did you get it? Is it the same stuff that the Roofer's use under metal roofing?

I agree with the leading, a couple of shots at woodcock aren't gonna cause an issue, but a hundred rounds at clays or an afternoon shooting blackbirds makes a mess of the barrel.

byrdog
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:00 pm  Reply with quote

yes on the rosin paper

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:15 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks!!