16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Hull storage
JNW
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:35 am  Reply with quote

When you store hulls long term, for years, do you put any desiccant in with them? If you put them in plastic tubs with covers do you punch air holes in the tubs? I know they don't have to breathe, but I'm worried about humidity building up in the containers and causing rust. I'm going to have hulls in my garage and it gets really hot and humid in there in summer.
Thanks,
Jeff
jswanson
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:04 am  Reply with quote

Jeff

I use plastic rubber maid type storage tubs or 5 Gallon Homer buckets with the screw on lids. I don't ventilate. If there is no excessive moisture in the container when I seal it I don't see how it can get in. However, My cellar is cool and dry about 45% humidity. So far so good no problems. I store large quantities of Federal with the paper base wad and have no evidence of any issues. I would think the other brands with all plastic construction would fair even better.

Joe

double vision
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:09 am  Reply with quote

IMHO-It's going to be tough to keep them rust free in a hot and humid garage, Jeff. I'm just a couple hundred miles downriver from you and I've noticed even hulls loose on my bench in the garage will eventually rust from our steamy summers. Of course I could be wrong (and often am).
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:05 am  Reply with quote

I use plastic bins and 5 gallon buckets to store hulls and I have a dehumidifier that runs from April to November to keep stuff dry. Some of my hulls have been in storage since the early 1990's and they are rust and tarnish free.

skeettx
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:31 am  Reply with quote

Amarillo, Texas 10 percent humidity, no storage concerns

Mike

JNW
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:34 pm  Reply with quote

I think I may have to reorder my (and my wife's) priorities and find room in the house. We have a 4 bedroom house and I have part of one closet for my clothes. All the rest is hers. I think I have a spot in the family room downstairs that will work. Or just move to Amarillo!
Thanks,
Jeff
Doggai
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:54 pm  Reply with quote

You could move out here to my country, where the South Fork of the Crow River flows. I have hulls stored in my basement for years and never see any rust. Those things out in the sheds stay rust free if they don't have water flowing over them. My shot maker will rust, but that's a result of heating up and cooling regularly.

If you want to know where you would live, my house, sheds, dog kennels, 10 acres with frontage on the river and several hundred acres of Fish and Wildlife Service across the river is for sale. And about 900 acres of undeveloped flood plain to run and train bird dogs, all with the land owners permissions. All one has to do is ask.

Browning Double Auto Twelvette
Browning Double Auto Twentyweight
Remington 1100 12 2 barrels
Charles Daly SxS 28
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:04 pm  Reply with quote

Now you've gone & done it-- they're going to want pictures posted right alongside of your Churchill and probably want to see the legal description so they can Google-Earth it. Rolling Eyes
byrdog
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:28 am  Reply with quote

I store new primed in plastic tubs with an old sock full of the blue and white crystal cat litter which is Silica gel.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:52 am  Reply with quote

Doggai wrote:
You could move out here to my country, where the South Fork of the Crow River flows. I have hulls stored in my basement for years and never see any rust. Those things out in the sheds stay rust free if they don't have water flowing over them. My shot maker will rust, but that's a result of heating up and cooling regularly.

If you want to know where you would live, my house, sheds, dog kennels, 10 acres with frontage on the river and several hundred acres of Fish and Wildlife Service across the river is for sale. And about 900 acres of undeveloped flood plain to run and train bird dogs, all with the land owners permissions. All one has to do is ask.

Yes, but then you'd have to deal with that "Vikings" thing.

Matt
(Die hard Packers fan)
JNW
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:31 am  Reply with quote

I already live in Minnesota. I just ignore the Viqueens. I am a secret Packers fan.
Jeff
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:46 am  Reply with quote

I love the Vikings and the Packers- the better they do, the more people congregate at the stadium and leave the fields to those of us that are truly inspired. The results of the Seahawks are mixed- when they do well, the infidels tend to travel to Seattle, but when they do poorly, which used to be all of the time, those same fairweather fans would go skiing, which in itself wasn't bad, but they increased the traffic past the fields where we were seeking a little solitude.
byrdog
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:05 am  Reply with quote

what was it we were talking about???????????????????

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
Brewster11
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:44 pm  Reply with quote

I once hoarded a couple grocery bags full of Federal hulls for several years in the Midwest. The bags were paper. When I inspected them some years later the fiber base wads had swollen into round blobs. I discarded them.

Brewster