16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  #9s for hunting
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:44 pm  Reply with quote

hey Nick , what I've found after too many yrs of skeet , is that I'm too fast to a lead for those birds we hunt . I know a few times , you guys have been hollering HEN , when I was trying to get the swing slowed down . Practice coming from behind and touching the trigger going past . Sort of had to change method on the fly . Now that I've inherited a trap club position , I'll be able to smooth in some trap shooting to help smooth out the bird thing . My normal thing is stay under to see the bird , slide out and nail it = too much lead after too many yrs skeet . That's kinda what upset the apple cart with that great point Peach did .As I started under , it's '' uh oh , where's the dog'' and I pulled up !... Some trap will fix it ! Walk up trap is great for early birds - just put the speaker near the trap house and wander around and call for birds .

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:55 am  Reply with quote

Charles Hammack wrote:
GG your right, I used to shoot 1250 on singles out of my TMX SPECIAL an on handicap out of that gun 1140-1160 fps. Shot exactly where I looked, faster loads shot too low for me at handicap ranges.

People think that just because the paper we shoot at has a great big pattern that everything is just peachey keen.

Inside that load that we send DOWNRANGE is a cluster about twice the size of a target that is just jam pact with pellets, the rest of the load is just along for the ride and of little use except to cripple and cost money.

The average person wanting to learn to shoot good would do well to take advantage of a .005 or less construction, shoot a fast, light load of small shot and practice on low gun Skeet untill it becomes muscle memory.

Shoot trap to test your loads and Skeet to be a better all around shot.

Regards. Nick

Bingo!!! Give that man a cigar. Very Happy

Sounds almost exactly like my trap loads Nick. My H-Cap load is an 1160 FPS load of 1-1/8 ounces of #8 shot (#7.5 for winter league) pushed by 18.6 grains of Green Dot. That load hammers them all the way out from the back fence if I do my job.

I also use my singles and H-Cap loads for the first and second doubles targets out of my MX-8 O/U in that order. I can shoot vertically right at both targets w/o having to float one or the other. I place my gun in a hold spot just inside of where I know the first target will be when I get to it. I then move just my eyes back to where I know I'll first see the first target emerge from the house. I visually and mentally lock on and ambush the first target with a very slight move from my hold spot. I then pick up the 2nd target with my eyes and again lock on before moving anything else. It's then a simple matter of staying in the gun and swinging through the 2nd target in a smooth, confident, unrushed move. There is never a need to hurry my swing to that second target. I'll crush it if my eyes and brain are already properly involved in the matter. Smokeballs in the air. Very Happy
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:53 pm  Reply with quote

GG - Never seen him with a cigar ... He IS a hillbilly though !

Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:00 pm  Reply with quote

16gaDavis wrote:
GG - Never seen him with a cigar ... He IS a hillbilly though !
I doubt I'll ever meet anyone that can shoot so well with as little waste and effort as Nick. Reno