16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Green Dot
reliable
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:25 pm  Reply with quote

Thought I did my homewok correctly, but got a D-. I have Rem black hulls, Rem sp16 wads, fed 209a and win 209 primers and 2 lbs of GREEN DOT powder. Does anyone have a reasonable load using these components. My 11-48 works well but I don't want to push it. Thank you. I also have some unique powder but would rather save it for pistol loads.
mike campbell
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:55 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total
16'er
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:03 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum,

You can use a filler and stay with the SP16 if you want.

Sent you a PM.

Enjoy!
reliable
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:27 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks, guys. Just got back into reloading after way too many years. Rusty on some of this stuff. 16er, I'll let you know how that load works in a week or so (awaiting stuff). Take care all. Larry
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:19 pm  Reply with quote

Unless you want to shoot heavy loads with the SP16 wads, it works best if you get a hollow punch or what ever the cutters are called to cut discs about 1/2" diameter- then cut a bunch of the Styrofoam trays used for meat trays in grocery stores or at least used to be for hamburgers at McDonalds, etc. The idea is you get Styrofoam discs 1/2" across, 1/8" deep. Put a few of these in the wad after it is put in the hull. They lay flat, then put the shot on top of the discs. With these discs in place you can fill the shot cup of the SP16 with 7/8 oz of shot. The easier way is to get some DR16s- but since you have the SP16s you might as well use them.
mike campbell
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:22 pm  Reply with quote

Cool
byrdog
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:07 am  Reply with quote

It is called a stirrup or arch punch. For foam trays a 6" piece of 1/2" steel conduit sharpened at one end will do nicely.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:54 am  Reply with quote

AmericanMeet wrote:
Unless you want to shoot heavy loads with the SP16 wads, it works best if you get a hollow punch or what ever the cutters are called to cut discs about 1/2" diameter- then cut a bunch of the Styrofoam trays used for meat trays in grocery stores or at least used to be for hamburgers at McDonalds, etc. The idea is you get Styrofoam discs 1/2" across, 1/8" deep. Put a few of these in the wad after it is put in the hull. They lay flat, then put the shot on top of the discs. With these discs in place you can fill the shot cup of the SP16 with 7/8 oz of shot. The easier way is to get some DR16s- but since you have the SP16s you might as well use them.

If you're going to use styrofoam meat tray punchings as filler, be aware that they do have a bit of a tendency to "float" as you add the shot. You may wind up having to use a pencil or nail or something similar to hold them to the bottom of the wad cup until the shot settles on top of them. Otherwise, they'll be all cockeyed in and among the shot. I don't even want to think about what the resulting patterns might look like. I've had this happen when there's a lot (or even a moderate amount) of static in the air.
putz463
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:46 am  Reply with quote

byrdog wrote:
It is called a stirrup or arch punch. For foam trays a 6" piece of 1/2" steel conduit sharpened at one end will do nicely.

Ditto, + I find 24ga OSC's work well in 16ga wads as build up fillers...a piece of Sched 80 1/2" Black Pipe with an ID of ~0.55" (24ga = 0.579") sharpened in a lathe or hand ground works well too. Extra credit points awarded if the ID gets opened up a bit while playing on the lathe Wink

BTW; reliable, I'm envious, hoping REAL HARD for GD to become available around here again.

reliable
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:11 am  Reply with quote

Thanks to all. Lucked out on the powder. Thanks for the styrofoam idea. When the rest of my stuff gets here, I'll let you all know how it works. Larry
reliable
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:51 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks to all, especially 16'er for the help. Wound up going with one oz. 7 1/2 shot; rgl hull, sp16 wad with Federal 209a primers and 28 gauge undershot 1/8th inch filler card. Worked really well busting birds today and the only ones I missed were my fault (damn automatic safety). Oh, and 16.0 grains of green dot. Take care. Larry