16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Beginners guide to reloading 16ga
Jakeismydog2
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:53 pm  Reply with quote

After a fun Easter afternoon of informal clay shooting with the extended family, I have been notified we should do it more often. I have also been notified of some sore shoulders and some bruising. If this is something my family would like to do more of (4-6x a year) reloading could be a viable way to keep the costs down. However i mostly interested in reloading some low recoil rounds as there are many ladies in the family. They enjoyed the shooting, but i know they would have more fun with a lower recoiling load.

So give me advice on starting up in 16ga reloading. What should i buy to start? I already have a decent supply of Herters hulls. I dont know if they are eny good to reload, but i have them and if i can use them i would like to.

I don't plan on loading 1000's of rounds, and I dont plan on trying lots of loads. I am just looking for a consistent low recoil round and then maybe a good pheasant load.

Thanks for all the info in advance.
oregunner
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:09 pm  Reply with quote

Do you reload shotshells now, in another gauge? What shotguns are you hoping to reload for? Do you have shotguns available in other gauges? Hard to know how basic to start, with advice. For shooting 4-6 times a year, you might be better off shooting 12 or 20 gauge, and buying cheaper factory ammo. Setting up to reload economically, is an expensive proposition to start out. It takes a while to recoup your initial investment.

AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:16 pm  Reply with quote

The biggest factor in recoil (other than weight of the gun) is weight of the shot. If you aren't betting the farm on your shots load 7/8 or 3/4 oz loads at about 1150 fps. With those loads even a light gun of 6 1/2 to 7 lbs will be easy to shoot.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:17 pm  Reply with quote

The powder situation is your biggest factor----16.0 of Unique is a pleasant load---At this time a low recoil factory 20 may be your best choice-
putz463
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:24 am  Reply with quote

Agree about prohibitive initial reloading gear costs if not geared up already. From the little you've shared & if I understand correctly, shooting a couple hundred rounds/year with shared/borrowed guns..IMO...look into bolt on Briley Barrel Weights (or similar product) to absorb the recoil for the occasional recoil sensitive shooter and sell your factory once fired empties to recoup any temporary bolt on appliance costs. At ~$60/case for those Herters, thats not that much higher than current reloading costs.

I'm using a load/gun weight multiplier these days of ~130-140 x (load weight) to get the gun down to comfy target shooting recoil absorbing levels for those in my crew/family that are sensitive to recoil. 135x1oz (or whatever load weight your throwing)=135/16oz=~8+lb gun. Then go get the barrel weight that would bring the gun up around the calculated weights and you should be good to go.

Good luck with it....

jschultz
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:16 am  Reply with quote

To get basic shot shell reloading information, I suggest you buy Lyman's 5th addition reloading manual.
byrdog
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:17 am  Reply with quote

For this activity I would use Cabellas "Herters" 16ga 1oz loads @ 1150 fps, 4 cases purchased during a free shipping sale is roughly $250.00. 10 cases of 90 count targets at WM is $100.00. Then sell the empties here at .08 and it is $330.00 and no time spent loading

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
Jakeismydog2
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:36 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. Looks like byrdog has a great idea. I didnt think about selling the hulls.

Many of my family members are women who do not shoot often. Adding weight to compensate for recoil is not really a viable option for them. this is why i was wanting to load light shells for them.
pheasantmaster
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:08 am  Reply with quote

Jake, I am 75 miles t/- from you. I would be willing to meet with you sometime and try to help you out or answer questions. Wife works up there and I am over at the trap club usually atleast once a month this time of year.
jswanson
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:32 am  Reply with quote

Both my wife and daughter in law are recoil sensitive but love to shoot clays. Solution was a pair of Remington 1100 LTs in 20 Ga.. We get no complaints from the ladies and they can shoot all day.

The only thing I would caution you on is that booth of these gas autos don't like cheap (dirty) ammo. I have had a lot of problems with ejection and jamming when using Win promo loads from Wally World and other discount houses. You know the cheap Boxes of 100.

We stick with Estate, Federal, and Herter's and have no issues.

Joe