16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  CB 0078 Wads
rcrow
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:19 pm  Reply with quote

WTS 1500 CB0078 wads. I have been using DR wads in my 3/4 & 7/8 oz. loads in straight walled case with good results. Tried the CB with 7/8 oz and was unable to get satisfactory crimps, too much shot capacity. Anyone in the Spokane WA area interested pm me for possible meet. Shipping prohibitive.
$35.00
Thanks

hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:24 am  Reply with quote

Did you try a filler to take up the extra space??
oregunner
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:16 am  Reply with quote

I am getting a good 1 oz load in RGL hulls, using the blue CB wad. I ordered some 7/8 oz CB wads, and expected to just be able to substitute the new wad with less shot, for the same results. It didn't happen. My 7/8 oz loads were extremely dished, to the point of leaking shot. There just wasn't enough stack height. They also wouldn't cycle my Auto 5. I am back to 1 oz. I plan on saving them, and trying them in Herter hulls with 1 oz of shot. Still need to wear out my RGLs first.

DanLee
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:22 am  Reply with quote

I prefer to avoid changing the settings on my 9000, so I routinely drop a 28-gauge .030" overshot card into the hull at the pre-crimp station when faced with a dished crimp that leaks shot. As for cycling, my 1100 will cycle down to 5/8 oz, but I've never gotten reliable results in the Sweet Sixteens with less than an ounce. Just the way it is.

Dan
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:06 pm  Reply with quote

A fair number of us here have suspected the new 7/8 ounce 16 ga Winchester clone wads from Claybuster would be a good choice for one ounce loads in roomier hulls. We've based our hunches on past experience with the WW16AA wad and its clones when used in roomier hulls like Cheddites and Federals. The original wad has a shot cup with a 1-1/8 ounce capacity. It serves well for one ounce loads in the Remington RGL hull and the discontinued, and by now, very scarce WW compression formed one piece hull. So the new 7/8 ounce wad should work very well for its intended purpose in RGL hulls.

As already stated, 28 ga (or .50 cal) nitro card filler wads will add to the new wad's utility if needed. It's not like we 16 ga. reloaders have never had to use filler wads before. I could not dispense with them for most of my own 3/4 and 7/8 ounce loads, so it's no problem or imposition from my point of view. I simply drop them into the wad cup before placing the wad in the reloader's wad guide. A simple pull of the handle seats the wad to perfection. It adds perhaps an extra second to the operation for each completed load--about a half minute extra per box. So no complaints from this 16gauge guy. Very Happy

All things considered, it's not like we can dispense with any useful 16 ga wad or component offered to us. I for one, am grateful to Claybuster for their consideration on our behalf. I hope others follow their lead. I'm hoping someday we will once again see a decent premium grade one piece hull in our favorite gauge.
pumpgun
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 3:56 pm  Reply with quote

I've used the CB0078 wads in Fed. hulls with 1 oz, and RGL's with 7/8 with excellent results.