16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Eye Protection
scraggley
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 5:08 am  Reply with quote

I recently had both my eyes operated on for the removal of cataracts and the insertion of IOLs .The big plus is that after wearing bi-focal glasses for 40 years ,I only need reading glasses for fine print. Also my vision is clear and bright. Iron sights on handguns and rifles are no longer fuzzy but are clear and well defined. After reading byrdog's comments on another thread regarding his experiences, I am in the market for some protective shooting glasses.
I would be interested in any suggestions regarding them.
Thanks in advance!

Art

jschultz
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 6:01 am  Reply with quote

I bought shooting glasses on-line from the NRA store. The glasses are around $30 and come with interchangeable lenses for different light conditions. I've had them for several years with no complaints.
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 6:21 am  Reply with quote

I have used Rangers for a very long time, for both field and targets. They come with 3 different color lenses and many more shades are available.

I switched my target glasses to Pilla a couple years ago, and they are fantastic.

I have a feeling that there are other shooting glasses out there that are as good as the Rangers and in the same price range. Decot comes to mind.

The Pilla's are expensive (at least I think they are) but they are the most optically correct glasses of any kind I have ever worn.

AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 10:08 am  Reply with quote

I have a pair of B&L shooters glasses that I bought nearly fifty years ago. they still work fine, so if the purchase price is amortized over a lifetime they become downright cheap- especially if you are wearing them and something fails in the gun.
JNW
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 5:40 pm  Reply with quote

I've owned 5 or 6 sets of shooting glasses over the years. I have a set of Pilla Panther Posts now and they are fabulous. Before I bought mine I asked everyone I saw with Pillas how they liked them. The universal answer was "These are the best shooting glasses I've ever had." Then I would ask them if they were worth the money. Their answer was always "These are the best shooting glasses I've ever had." They are expensive. Mine were $600 for a frame and 3 lenses. They are absolutely fabulous and I have owned or tried almost every major brand out there. Your eyes are too important to not take care of. Wearing optically poor glasses puts a strain on your eyes that can have deleterious effects long term. The right glasses make seeing targets and game birds easier. I strongly recommend wrap around lenses for the protection. If you don't want to spend a bunch on Pillas, which I understand, I would look at Rangers and Post-4 Optics. Both companies offer a lot of options and great service. See if you can try some before buying them. I bought my Pillas at a big shoot where there were several vendors selling them, so I got to see which lenses worked for me.
Good luck,
Jeff
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 5:52 pm  Reply with quote

I have used Decots for years with no problems---other than a few missed targets Embarassed Laughing
16'er
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 8:23 pm  Reply with quote

For $300-$400 your local eye doctor can have a pair of polarized safety glasses with zero Rx made for you in a titanium frame of your choice. I have a set which I got for both shooting on cloudy days and driving in weather/night. Mine are a yellow tint. Use them more for driving as glare at night has gotten more annoying as I age. Was kind of a splurge at the time pricewise, but I'm very happy with them.

Prescription would be a bit more. I wear contacts, so I can go from regular sunglasses to yellow tint without any issues.
Tom Shaffer
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 11:32 am  Reply with quote

Contact Morgan Optical, in Olean NY
Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 5:17 pm  Reply with quote

I have a pair of costa del mar polarized sunglasses in vermillion color that don't work for focusing on clays. I changed the color from grey to red to augment my other pair of yellow lenses. What a waste, I can use them for other things but not for clays like I hoped. Reno