16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Pressure Question - Cheddite Vs. Win Primers
gjw
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 8:28 am  Reply with quote

Hi all, just need to get some opinions/advise from you old pros. As many of you know, I'm trying to nail down a good low pressure load that I can use in my English guns. I've found a couple, but there have been some problems with each of them. I did find one that sounds good. I got it from the 16ga LP Group and it has been tested. Here are the details:

16ga, 2 3/4" Cheddite Hull
Cheddite 209 Primer
22.5grns of Longshot Powder
SG16 Wad
1 1/8oz shot payload
7050psi
1220fps

I have a concern on the Cheddite primers piercing, so I'd like to sub the Cheddite primers for Win 209's. I do want to keep the pressure as the recipe states.

Would the Win primer in your opinion increase the pressure? And if so, would dropping the powder charge keep the pressure in the 7000psi range?

Your thoughts and opinions are very much appreciated!

Greg

Thanks for being a great bunch of guys and putting up with me!
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 9:18 am  Reply with quote

1) Why shoot a 1 1/8 oz load in an old English gun?

2) Its a 7000 psi load with real slow powder -- why would you want the pressure to go down?

3) The opinion of the Low Pressure Group seems to be that the Ched 209 is very similar ballistically to the Win 209. They list the Ched as a safe sub for the Win 209, but I don't know if that means the Win is a safe sub for the Ched. It is just my opinion, but I doubt it would change pressures drastically. It might fit the primer pockets a little bit looser, however.
gjw
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 9:34 am  Reply with quote

Thanks MS. I like the 1 1/8oz load for out here on the plains. I use this load for late season, when that little extra can make the difference between a dead bird and a cripple. I'd like to keep the pressure in that 7000 range, but a bit lower is okay, not drastic of course.

Thanks again!

Greg
Gordon Disharoon
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 12:51 pm  Reply with quote

Greg
Why don't you load five of them and send them off to Tom Armbrust. Then you would know for sure what you have. The data he sends back is good material invalueble.

Regards, Gordon

gjw
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 12:55 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks Gordon, may just do that, just thought someone may have been down this path before and would have an idea on what I was asking.

Thanks again!

Greg
JNW
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 5:49 pm  Reply with quote

I've loaded a lot of Longshot in 28 gauge and high speed 20 gauge loads. I am not sure how it's going to work in the cold at that low of a pressure. Not saying it won't work well, but any load at that low of a pressure in the cold is always a concern. I have trouble when I ask questions about reloading for our delightful winter weather. Someone from Texas or South Carolina often says XYZ load works great in the cold Laughing I would contact Hodgdon about that load. If it works in the cold and is consistent, then it should be fine. Maybe old-hunter has some experience with such a load?
I would not worry about substituting the primers, but that's just me. Hodgdon would again be the ultimate source. Here's two loads from BPI.

Fed hull/Fed209A/Longshot 23.5g/Z16 wad/1.125 oz. 1275 fps. 8200 psi

Ched hull/Ched 209/Longshot 24g/Z16 wad/1.125 oz. 1440 fps. 10300 psi

They don't publish slower, lower pressure loads. Hope this helps.

You should run your loads over a chronograph to look for speed and consistency. They are around $100 - every serious hand loader should have one.
Regards,
Jeff
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 8:36 am  Reply with quote

Greg, I would be hesitant to switch primers without a confirmed data source. I have information in my records that the Cheddite and Win 209 are "interchangeable" according to "multiple forum sources", whatever that means.

I would make a telephone call to Hodgdon and ask them, or, as suggested, send some to Armbrust for testing. In the attached article by Tom the Cheddite produced less pressure than the Win. but, different components than what you are using.

If you can get verification by either source please let us know. I just bought 3,000 Cheddite primers and it would be good information to have.

http://www.armbrust.acf2.org/primersubs.htm

Matt
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 12:56 pm  Reply with quote

gjw wrote:
Hi all, just need to get some opinions/advise from you old pros. As many of you know, I'm trying to nail down a good low pressure load that I can use in my English guns. I've found a couple, but there have been some problems with each of them. I did find one that sounds good. I got it from the 16ga LP Group and it has been tested. Here are the details:

16ga, 2 3/4" Cheddite Hull
Cheddite 209 Primer
22.5grns of Longshot Powder
SG16 Wad
1 1/8oz shot payload
7050psi
1220fps

I have a concern on the Cheddite primers piercing, so I'd like to sub the Cheddite primers for Win 209's. I do want to keep the pressure as the recipe states.

Would the Win primer in your opinion increase the pressure? And if so, would dropping the powder charge keep the pressure in the 7000psi range?

Your thoughts and opinions are very much appreciated!

Greg

Thanks for being a great bunch of guys and putting up with me!

Swapping between most standard strength primers for lower pressure loads is usually not a problem from a safety standpoint. You'll know if the load pressure goes too low soon enough when you get a few overly soft sounding loads. Then it's a simple matter of adding a grain or so to your powder charge until the squib loads are eliminated.

However, primer fit is more important. Cheddite primers might have a larger diameter. Your primer pockets might be too big for Winchester 209 primers after using Cheddites. Again, you will nkow soon enough from trial and error.
Keith_Rich
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 6:38 am  Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with cheddite primers - have been using them for years in registered trap shooting - no problems size-wise or reliability - much cheaper than Win primers.

Keith