16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  my new (old) ithaca 37 featherlight
german_shepherd
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:48 pm  Reply with quote

came back from the gun show today with a 'new' firearm. i have an old bolt action mossberg 16ga that got me hooked on the cartridge. i was looking to get a pump and the big gun store near me has brand new remington 870 express's for 229 then you get a 30 mail in rebate bringing the price down to 200+tax a GREAT deal in my opinion but after handling this 37 i fell in love with the weight of it.

1) can any body tell me the year it was made from the serial number 611xxx?
2) the dis-assembly do you just turn the plug or are there other steps on this gun?
3) i took it to my back yard for a lil shoot and it would only take 2 shells im wondering if there is a plug in it?? any help would be appreciated. Ted
3DocPop
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:53 pm  Reply with quote

Congratulations on a cool gun, and welcome to the Society.

According to the Walter Snyder book on the Model 37, Serial # 611,xxx was made in 1955. Mine was made in 1956.

To disassemble, turn the plug clockwise about 1/2 turn after the clicking stops - then turn the barrel 1/4 turn counter-clockwise and lift out of the receiver. Barrel and receiver are threaded, but have flats for the release once you turn the barrel.

As for the number of shells, I assume you mean the magazine takes two shells. I will guess it has a plug, as mine will take at least four in the magazines, which I just found out tonight, as I was typing this. Confused
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:18 am  Reply with quote

The Gun Digest Shotgun Disassembly book can be had on Amazon and is a great investment-detailed take down instructions on the M-37, M-12, and lots more
http://www.amazon.com/Digest-Book-Firearms-Assembly-Disassembly/dp/0873494008/ref=pd_sim_b_2/104-1566072-2173565?ie=UTF8

Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:39 am  Reply with quote

You will want to release the forearm before attempting to remove the barrel.

You don't have to pump it all the way back, just release the bolt from the barrel
by pressing the release lever and moving the bolt back from the barrel a bit.

Best,
Ted
ColoradoPaul
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:47 am  Reply with quote

GS:

Ithaca used to have a copy of the old M 37 shop manual (8 or 10 pages) that could be downloaded from their site. This was couple of years back. I’m not sure if the latest owner has kept it available on the site. Take a look. If they don’t have it on their site, I have a copy and can get a copy to you if you PM me. It’s in pretty rough shape, but you can still read it.

Paul
Woodcanoeguy
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:08 am  Reply with quote

Here is a website with a detailed description of the Itrhaca 37 disassebly process
complete with photos.

http://refugeforums.com/refuge/showthread.php?s=&threadid=79094

Also a couple of parts sources..........

http://www.e-gunparts.com/productschem.asp?chrMasterModel=076Zz37

http://www.poppertsgunparts.com/

Enjoy your Ithaca 37, the finest pump ever made.
german_shepherd
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:48 pm  Reply with quote

thanks everyone for the welcome i didnt work on the gun today instead this morning i took it to the local turkeyshoot to fire off a few shells lol i did bring home a turkey today. i am just amazed in how light the firearm is. i have to admit i was trying to deal with a guy who had a real nice winchester model 12 in 16ga ( i wanted that becuase i have a 12ga model 12) but im happy with the ithaca model 37. ill play with it tomorrow, i had a full day turkey shoot in the morn, mowed 6 acres with my '51 ford 8n,and dinner at mom and dads. Ted