16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  The Perfect Ruffed Grouse Gun
Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:23 pm  Reply with quote

As told by the author of an article with a similar name, is a 16 gauge SxS. The article is in the July 2015 issue of Sporting Clays. There; he said it, I believe it, and that settles it. Reno

Chicago
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:29 pm  Reply with quote

That's all I use and I use the same gun for grouse, woodcock, pheasant, quail, chukar and small elephants. I have some 12 and 20's but I haven't used them in years. I have to pick my shots on pheasant and any long shot because my SxS is choked Cyl and a small amount of choke in the left barrel. Given the fact I spend more of my time grouse hunting it works well.

Now I would opine that the best grouse gun is the one you can hit them with, regardless of ga or choke.

Good Hunting,
Mike
walt lister
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:47 pm  Reply with quote

This story was posted on another site and is worth reading

THE FIVE FOR FIVE GUN

Some years back, just after the second big war, there was a rather elite Grouse Club over in Michigan, called the Five for Five Club. To earn membership, you had to go out with five shells in your pocket, and come home with five Grouse. Any experienced Grouse hunter, will tell you five birds for five shells expended, is almost impossible, without a little luck, and few have ever been so lucky.
At a luncheon one day, was privileged to set at the table with the only Lady that had ever earned membership in the Five for Five Club. My first question to her, after congratulations, was what kind of Grouse Gun would one need to make five for five possible ? I expected her answer to be some kind of expensive double I couldn’t afford. But to my surprise, her Grouse gun was an early nickel steel Winchester M-1912 plain barrel pump gun, in 16GA with a full choke ? ? ?
Next question was why the M-12, when I was sure she could afford the expensive double if she wanted one ? Her answer was that the double might be a little more stylish around the club house, but she did not know anyone who had achieved five for five with a double. She went on to explain, a double gun has a rib, and a rib forces you to sight a shotgun, as if you were shooting a rifle. This slows your shot. And many doubles are equipped with a selective trigger, and trying to decide what barrel you are going to shoot first, when a Grouse gets up, can slow your shot to the point you can’t get a shot off. And a double may not throw the shot pattern where you are looking, or where you are sighting, at least not with both barrels.
A nickel steel M-12 in 20/16 GA on the other hand weighs no more than a light double. And the nickel steel M-12 is the best balanced, best pointing, best fitting shot gun in the world, period, regardless of cost. She went on to explain, When a Grouse gets up, turns on his after burner and takes off, your M-12 comes to shoulder, you watch the Grouse, follow him with your eyes, you have no conscious awareness of sighting at the Grouse, you are not aware that you made the shot, pulled the trigger, but you must have, you heard the shot, felt the recoil, saw feathers fly, saw the Grouse fall. But this sequence of events that you know must have taken place, is only dream like. You were in perfect control of the gun, but it was like the gun was in control of you. Then she said this is difficult to explain, you have to experience it to understand it.
I asked about the full choke ? Did she like to let the Grouse get out aways before she shot ? No, she said if you waited to let a Grouse get out aways, there was a good chance you couldn’t get a shot off. When a Grouse got up, she always got a shot off. But this meant she often shot right through brush or leaves. She liked the Full, IM or Mod choke, because brush and leaves destroys some shot pattern. With the tighter chokes, she still had enough pattern left to bring old ruff down.

If it's not true, it ought to be.

Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:53 pm  Reply with quote

Great story Walt, I wish I had been there. Reno

Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:16 pm  Reply with quote

Two Pipe Shoot wrote:
As told by the author of an article with a similar name, is a 16 gauge SxS. The article is in the July 2015 issue of Sporting Clays. There; he said it, I believe it, and that settles it. Reno

It's in a magazine, therefore it is true.
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:17 pm  Reply with quote

Ah, a 16 SxS is only part of the answer- the real question is: Which 16 SxS?
kgb
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:01 am  Reply with quote

Usually, the one left at home.

Lloyd3
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:11 am  Reply with quote

My perfect ruffed grouse gun. 16 English boxlock, 5lbs14, Circa 1906.

[URL=http://s135.photobucket.com/user/lamiii/media/IMG_20131013_120941_821.jpg.html] [/URL]

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:35 pm  Reply with quote

kgb wrote:
Usually, the one left at home.

+1

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
jschultz
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:51 pm  Reply with quote

AM wrote, "Ah, a 16 SxS is only part of the answer- the real question is: Which 16 SxS?"

So true and I hope that those of you searching for the perfect SxS will find it, I did. Very Happy
jschultz
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:51 pm  Reply with quote

AM wrote, "Ah, a 16 SxS is only part of the answer- the real question is: Which 16 SxS?"

So true and I hope that those of you searching for the perfect SxS will find it, I did. Very Happy
Griffon
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:30 pm  Reply with quote

With your favorite 16 SxS and your faithful bird dog it doesn't matter, you look good even when you miss.

slowpokebill
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:50 am  Reply with quote

jschultz wrote:

I'm sure I'll find the perfect grouse side by side one day but without trying a lot of side by side how will I ever know which is the perfect grouse gun. I'm going with the McDonald's happy meal toy saying, "collect them all".

The wife thinks I better find it soon because she doesn't think there is room in the house for another safe.

Terry Wieland has soom great arguments on what makes the perfect grouse gun.

http://www.grayssportingjournal.com/the-grouse-gun/

I guess I should not be surprised that most of my preferred grouse guns have 28 inch barrels choked ic/m and weight 6 to 6 1/2 lbs. in a gauge that will throw 3/4 to a bit more than 1 oz or so of 7 1/2s. At that weight and barrel length the guns swing and carry well for me. I struggle with shotguns weighing much under six pounds and to less extent with 26 inch and shorter barrels.

The gun that gets pulled out of the safe most often when I'm headed to my favorite covert is my 16 gauge SIACE hammer gun which weighs 6 lbs. 3 oz. has 28 in. barrels choked IC/M. It is close to perfect but I'll keeping looking for that perfect gun..the search is half the fun.

jschultz
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:47 am  Reply with quote

Bill, I love the look of your SIACE. Very Happy
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:57 am  Reply with quote

Very pretty gun and I don't even like S x S's. To shoot that is.

That one is particularly friendly looking, something like.........grouse, a setter, a glass of smooth bourbon and a fireplace in December.........maybe a few of jschultz's brass shells..

I'm not that classy........but if I was.....