16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Any pistol re-loaders here?
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:56 pm  Reply with quote

CitoriFeather16 wrote:
Here's Sunday morning's off-topic question.

I'm dusting off the Dillon XL-650 to run a lot of .45acp. I'm going to be loading 230 gr. RN in both a Berry's plated bullet and a Lazer Cast Lead bullet. My seating die is giving me a C.O.L. of 1.260" COL on the Lead bullet and 1.271" on the plated bullet. This is putting the crimp right at the top of the cannelure in the lead bullet. Load data recommends a COL of 1.230" in the lead and 1.237" in the plated bullet.

So, my re-loaded COL is over the recommendations for both. Is this significant?

Both rounds function as is in the gun they will be used for.

Thanks!

Matt

As already suggested, trimming your cases to acceptable OAL specs is important since all Model 1911 autos chamber on the case mouth and not the rim or base. A taper crimp is required for proper headspacing. Roll crimps into a cannelure should not be used, so just where the bullet cannelure is located is not important. Neither is load OAL as long as the selected bullet nose does not contact the rifling leades before the slide can lock into battery. The taper crimp must be firm enough to keep the bullet in place during the feed cycle.

Assuming your auto is a model 1911 or 1911 clone, I suggest you remove the barrel. Drop a few loads in the chamber, and inspect how they seat. If the cases are uniformly of the proper length to headspace okay, but the bullet noses are out too far, you'll see it easily enough. Simply reseat them a bit deeper a few thousandths at a time until they chamber okay. You'll be good to go. Hope my input helps. Good luck.
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:15 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks 16GG. Its a Kimber CDP. Just did as you suggested and it's good to go. They feed and eject also with no problem.

Matt
Rudy
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:28 pm  Reply with quote

I load 230 grain cast and plated bullets in 45 auto with 4.3 grains of Green Dot. The COL is 1.250,and I set the Lee seating die to lightly touch the case mouth to iron out any remaining flare. I have fired thousands of these loads through my Ruger 1911 without a problem,but your results may vary.Happy shooting.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:44 am  Reply with quote

I've been told some competative "hardballers" use the rounded 230 grain hardball bullet nose to establish headspace against a specially cut "ball seat" at the front of the chamber. This practice helps to establish a consistant minimal headspace, which is supposed to add to the over all accuracy of the ammo. I'm not a hardball shooter, so I don't know if this is true or even if the rules allow it.
fourtimes4
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 1:20 pm  Reply with quote

Load .380 & .40 S&W not super tight to tolerances as long as they cycle ok. I do stay precise on powder weights. I also load the 5.7 X 28MM and I adhere to the precise data and do not load even close to max loads. .001 grain of powder changes the out come quite a bit. I would think firearm design has a lot to do with lengths.
The FiveSeveN pistol has a blow back design and stretches the cartage as much as .050.
Winchester21
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 7:56 pm  Reply with quote

There are already some very good comments in this thread especially about using taper crimps for .45 ACP and 9mm Luger. Also the comments about seating the bullets too far out or, worse, too deep. Pressures can more than double if the bullet is too deep.
What I'd like to add concerns the use of all copper or similar bullets that we have to use in some areas (soon to be whole state) of Calif for hunting;
1. While the normal practice for me has been to seat and crimp all in one step DO NOT do that with Barnes or similar bullets. If you try to do that the case will collapse!
2. You must back the crimping part off so that you seat the bullet to the OAL and then, as a second step, back off the seating part and go back to crimp the bullet.
Now my comments are based on revolver calibers (.44 and .357 mags) where the bullet needs a firm roll crimp. I don't know whether it is needed to do all that with a taper crimp but I think it would be best to do so anyway.
Old16ga
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:25 am  Reply with quote

skeettx wrote:
I load some stuff Shocked

Did I mention that I am excessive compulsive??

Very Happy Very Happy

Mike

And here all this time I thought I had a stack of dies! Wink

My other shotgun is a 28!

The 28 Gauge Society
skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:30 am  Reply with quote

Well, I like to cast, load, shoot, etc Shocked
Lately, a much of one box of wheelweight ingots has been turned into shot Smile

Linotype

Linotype

Have 4 more boxes of wheelweight ingots

Waiting smelting

Did I mention that I am excessive compulsive ??

Mike

Last edited by skeettx on Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Old16ga
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:48 am  Reply with quote

skeettx wrote:
Well, I like to cast, load, shoot, etc Shocked
Lately, a much of one box of wheelweight ingots has been turned into shot Smile

Have 4 more boxes of wheelweight ingots

Mike

Mike, do you have any problems obtaining wheelweights these days? I haven't cast in many years, but when I did, wheelweights were easily available for the asking. All the tire shops and gas stations in my hometown used to save them for me. Very Happy

My other shotgun is a 28!

The 28 Gauge Society
skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:00 pm  Reply with quote

I do not know because I do not ask for them anymore.
I have lots and I am 66 so do not think that I will need more, perhaps.

But shooting up a 25 pound bag of shot every two weeks may change my mind.

We shall see Shocked

Mike

GWP
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:55 am  Reply with quote

[/quote]

Mike, do you have any problems obtaining wheelweights these days? I haven't cast in many years, but when I did, wheelweights were easily available for the asking. All the tire shops and gas stations in my hometown used to save them for me. Very Happy[/quote]

You have to watch using the wheel weights now as some are not lead. I bought 'hard shot' for shotgun years ago and it is also a good mix for casting though I do not other than duck and goose decoy weights.