16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Ithaca 37--one more example of Browning's genious
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:39 pm  Reply with quote

You are right OF. It's just so obvious an advantage in a field gun, we tend to just take it for granted. It is the feature that first attracted me to the 37 for 16 ga upland work. I discovered all its other fine points after buying one. Now, I would not want another repeater. It just plain suits me.

However, for single feeding any repeater such as when trap shooting, the side port is simpler. that is why I think the model 12 is a much better trap singles gun, that and its heavier weight in 12 gauge and its more forward weight distribution. The model 31 Remington was a better skeet gun in its time when skeet was shot low gun, because it is slightly lighter, balances more between the hands, and is slicker to pump for doubles targets.

Once the Reminton 1100 gas autoloader hit the market, it soon dominated the 12 gauge skeet events, drove the pump guns off the skeet fields, and held its place for decades until subgauge tubes in a carrier barreled O/U replaced it as the premier set up. Most top shooters now use the 20 ga tubes for both 12 and 20 ga events. However, you'll still see plenty of model 1100 12 ga skeet guns still banging away and breaking clays just as well as ever.

I use mine to break in new skeet shooters over all other guns. It fits most folks very well and is easy on tender new shoulders with 1 ounce 1150 FPS loads. Plus, its so simple to operate, its perfect for the job. Just drop a load in the port and touch the silver button on the bottom of the receiver. Done. Simple. i use my LT-20 1100 for smaller folks for the same reasons. Gotta love it. Wink
ermadear55
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:27 pm  Reply with quote

Wow, I have to thank all of you for the education you are giving this guy during his down time in the desert. Much appreciated.

Cool ed55
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:10 am  Reply with quote

It must sure beat hell out of counting rocks. Wink Laughing