16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Cheddite hulls primer tool
willie02
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:45 am  Reply with quote

My Federal and Remington hulls are at the end of their lifes.I bought some of the Herters shells plan on loading them.I have Win. primers will I need a primer pocket correction tool or not?If I do one any better or all the same.
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:15 am  Reply with quote

Don't think you will need a tool for those, but if you do buy the one from Precision Reloading.

I use one for RIO hulls, one shot and the pocket is sized.

It is made of Stainless and besides I designed and made the original ones haha!,, Cool

willie02
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:53 am  Reply with quote

Thank You
Need a field tester Laughing
byrdog
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:44 pm  Reply with quote

I mounted one from BPI on an older MEC reconditioning press and it is really easy to do a bunch of empties all at once First primer pocket then resize in a Mec collet sizer

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
Griffon
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:55 pm  Reply with quote

I've been loading the 16ga Herters with a W209 primer with no issues.

Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:10 pm  Reply with quote

Plus 1, Griffon that has been my experience. Federal 209A's fit tight too!👍

jswanson
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:21 am  Reply with quote

[quote="byrdog"]I mounted one from BPI on an older MEC reconditioning press and it is really easy to do a bunch of empties all at once First primer pocket then resize in a Mec collet sizer[/quote]

Byrdog

"mounted one from BPI on an older MEC reconditioning press" ?? I'm not familiar with a reconditioning press. Educate me please.

Thanks

Joee

skeettx
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:46 am  Reply with quote

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MEC-CASE-CONDITIONER-RELOADING-12GA-PRESS-/121695888319?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c55a3e3bf

Last edited by skeettx on Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total
byrdog
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:51 am  Reply with quote

Mec used to make a press that only had one station. there was a sizer deprimer on it. They called it a shell conditioner. I threaded the top end of a pocket conditioning punch and adapted it to the die mount and put the base in the deprime base location.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:49 am  Reply with quote

I have one of those old MEC Case Conditioners. I'll sell it for $25 + shipping. PM me if interested. It's a 12 gauge, which doesn't matter if you're going to convert it for primer pocket swedging. If you wanted to convert it to 16 gauge for it's original purpose, it would simply need the proper sized de-prime punch and re-size ring -- all regular MEC 600 parts. I will be at the Duluth Double Gun extrvaganza (SxS Classic). I could hand deliver it to you there, saving shipping.

By the way, the MEC Case Conditioner was a partner device for the early MEC progressives, MEC 500, Super-600, and 650, on which resizing was only possible as a separate operation which required a slight re-configuration of the press, rendering it non-progressive. Of course that was before the collet re-sizer was developed to make resizing possible on MEC's next progressive, The Grabber. MEC then replaced the Case Conditioner with the SuperSizer which used the same collet device as the Grabber.

Of course MEC still sells the 650, which includes the same resizing attachment as it always did, and I always wondered whether 650 users who did not want to re-configure for resizing were the only justification for selling any separate resizing tool. For the same price as buying both a 650 and a SuperSizer, you could buy a Grabber which eliminates the separate operation, allowing faster loading and taking up less bench and storage space -- both are manual progressive. The fully progressive 9000 is available for only $120 more.

The primary use of a SuperSizer for me is as a shell holder for roll crimping. Also, there is enough adjustment in the 28 gauge collet that I can resize 24 gauge cases -- a benefit only a few will ever need. At $120 for a new SuperSizer, it's a rather costly device for those tasks. Fortunately there is a used market.
FlyChamps
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:41 pm  Reply with quote

MaximumSmoke wrote:
Also, there is enough adjustment in the 28 gauge collet that I can resize 24 gauge cases -- a benefit only a few will ever need.

Damn, you mean that there's more than one of us shooting a 24 gauge and using the 28 gauge Super Sizer to resize the brass and serve as a vise for roll crimping. You are right it's "a benefit only a few will ever need".

"The few, the proud, the 24 gauge shooters" - oops! My bad, I was Army.
skeettx
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:21 pm  Reply with quote

YUP
I load 24 and 32 gauge Smile
Mike

putz463
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:04 am  Reply with quote

You shouldn't have to mess w/those Herter's pockets, I've used, CCI, Fed and Win primers in those hulls no problem.

Double Yup, batch de/re-prime on a 600 + 28ga collet + SS'er + roll crimp tool + drill press = have 24ga gun, will travel. + side bene; having 24ga OSC's on-hand work great for filling a 16ga recipe that needs a little more column height.