16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  The Perfect Ruffed Grouse Gun
Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:29 pm  Reply with quote

canvasback wrote:
I know this is heresy and I can hardly believe I am saying this but, although I have a number of 16 gauge guns I really enjoy and some that I even shoot well, my "perfect Ruffed Grouse gun" is a 100 year old Tolley single barrel 12 gauge.

The gun weighs 5 pounds even, is straight stocked with a 29" barrel choked IC and, with the barrel length, swings as smoothly as I need it to. I use very light loads out of it as the gun and I don't need the recoil of a heavier load and ruffies don't take much to fall out of the sky. You just need to actually hit them.

Now, I do know that theoretically there is an even better gun for me out there but so far I have been unable to pry it loose from it's owner (Dale, I'm talking to you! LOL)

Well, as long as I am almost well, I will not be parting with my little 16 ga Tolley, even then, Gils is 1st in line. Besides you are in Canada, another can of worms there.

That is one fine looking 12 ga Tolley! My compliments on your taste!

Dale

Wink

...Andrew Jackson...
canvasback
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:12 pm  Reply with quote

Dale, I hope you are able to continue to use it for many years. I wouldn't sell it if I were you. I have had more than one offer for mine and it's not even a 16!!

And I do know Gil is first in line. I'm betting a gator or Eastern Diamondback takes him out first. LOL

1925 Ferlach 29" 6 lbs 7 oz
1923 Greifelt 29" 6 lbs 1 oz
1928 Simson 29.5" 6 lbs
1893 Lindner Daly FW 28” 5 lb 11oz
Chicago
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:27 pm  Reply with quote

Here is a pretty good looking Coggie I saw for sale at Hill Rod & Gun. A 16 bore and it looks like it would make a fine grouse gun for some lucky soul.

If anyone has interest you can find it at

http://www.hillrodandgun.com/invent.php

Good Hunting,
Mike
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:18 am  Reply with quote

As an aside, the only thing I don't like about grouse hunting is the patience it requires. After I set out the grouse decoys and hunker down in the bushes with my setter curled up at my feet, it seems like a very long wait before any grouse fly by. But when they do, I'm ready with my 2lb 16ga sxs! I probably should work on my grouse calling too...

So, what are your favorite grouse calls and/or decoys?

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
canvasback
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:37 am  Reply with quote

UncleDanFan wrote:
As an aside, the only thing I don't like about grouse hunting is the patience it requires. After I set out the grouse decoys and hunker down in the bushes with my setter curled up at my feet, it seems like a very long wait before any grouse fly by. But when they do, I'm ready with my 2lb 16ga sxs! I probably should work on my grouse calling too...

Now that right there is funny!

1925 Ferlach 29" 6 lbs 7 oz
1923 Greifelt 29" 6 lbs 1 oz
1928 Simson 29.5" 6 lbs
1893 Lindner Daly FW 28” 5 lb 11oz
jschultz
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:55 am  Reply with quote

Dale, Mike, love the pics of those guns.
If I may go astray a bit.
I have hunted quail with two flushing Labs, not unusual in itself, but the Labs were field trial dogs and very good at hand signals. I would send the dogs on either side of some good uphill cover and ask them to work the area between me and them, which flushed the birds in my direction. Pass shooting quail! Very Happy
Chicago
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:57 am  Reply with quote

jschultz wrote:
Dale, Mike, love the pics of those guns.
If I may go astray a bit.
I have hunted quail with two flushing Labs, not unusual in itself, but the Labs were field trial dogs and very good at hand signals. I would send the dogs on either side of some good uphill cover and ask them to work the area between me and them, which flushed the birds in my direction. Pass shooting quail! Very Happy

I have hunted grouse, quail, chukar and pheasant with just about every type of bird dog out there and even a few mutts. I had fun with just about all of them, although I have been with dogs that the owners might just as well have left at home. A good hunting partner of mine had a lab that would momentarily point before he flushed a bird and we shot a boatload of birds over that dog. I haven't hunted over any of the recent crossbreeds but I bet they are also good.
Chicago
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:59 am  Reply with quote

UncleDanFan wrote:

As you know they cluck softly and sound like a chicken. So I like the Chicken calls.
wahoo
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:21 pm  Reply with quote

A slingshot makes a decent grouse getter. Choked full-open, round slugs usually work best, but a palm full of clean 00 river pebbles ain't bad either.
Hyckory Styck
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:51 pm  Reply with quote

I wish I could hunt grouse. You guys make me jealous. All we have in my area are doves in winter, and we're lucky to see those. But something tells me I would be hunting grouse with my old Savage.

Revelation 16, 28"

A gun should be made of steel and wood, not alloy and plastic.
brewer
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:50 am  Reply with quote

I remember someone made grouse calls, because I used one as a kid...maybe an outfit like Primos. They try to make every call possible. Anyone else out there recall this?
You can also attract a hen or a territorial male by pounding on a log with a cheap pair of drumsticks...turkey works best.

Lloyd3
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:23 am  Reply with quote

As a gallinaceous species (i.e., "chicken-like") Ruffed Grouse do make sounds occasionally. There is a "putt" alarm call that I sometimes mistake (generally to my regret!) for the very similar sound of a red squirrel, and on rare occasions, a chicken-like mewling sound that I interpret as irritation as they attempt to walk away from you in thick cover, and, finally, the almost ringing, pinging, chirp that they make as they are thundering away in full flight. Drumming is a uniquely singular sound that is made with their cupped wings. I can't imagine that pounding on something will closely imitate that.

However, most of the time they are dead silent, since they tend to last longer that way. They can even fly in silent mode when they want to. I suspect that this is how they fly most of the time.

About 70 days to go now.......

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:38 pm  Reply with quote

Chicago wrote:
UncleDanFan wrote:

As you know they cluck softly and sound like a chicken. So I like the Chicken calls.

My standard grouse call is an old Lenny Bruce tape. I've been arrested twice for baiting them. Sad
powderburn
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:51 pm  Reply with quote

Haven't killed a grouse in years but all of the few I've killed fell to a 16 ga 870 w a modified choke. Why.? It was the only gun I had at the time.

big-k
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:02 am  Reply with quote

The grouse gun must fit properly, point and swing natural. The shooter must hear and see very good and be quick on the draw. I like 1 oz of 7.5# shot from a 16ga. gun. Todays shells are so good that no choke is best till late season. I am a setter man and hunt grouse with a vintage SXS....Light O frame 16ga Parker guns are my first choice followed by A.H. Fox. I also like the modern Parker reproduction that was made by Tom Skeuse back in the late 80-s I have a repro 16 that is double triggers choked Q1/Q2...it works well. I own a Ithica ICD 4-E 20/16 combo that makes a real nice bird gun as well. Last season I hunted a 1922 VH-16 with 26" barrels 6lbs-1oz choked .007/.026 Its one of those guns that do not miss! Must let the bird get out a ways...if you center one too close don't plan to eat it! This year I have acquired a DHE-16 that was made in 1912 Its a light 1 frame that comes in at 6lbs-4oz. 26" properly cut back from 28" and is perfectly choked for grouse hunting. .000/.003 My Gordon setter will be 4 years and 10 months this October and we have several hunts on our plate. A first time trip to Wisconsin for a week of grouse, a few trips back to potter county P.A. and back to Kansas for wild quail and roosters. My rooster gun is a Parker repro 16 that has collected wild roosters at 50 yards or better like clock work...love that gun! I shoot Fiocchi HV 5# from that 6lb-4oz repro. The left barrel has .031 of choke or X-full for 16ga. Our best year in Kansas was 2011. The drought of 2012 hit the plains hard, we only got 6 roosters for three hunter in 6 days!, it was bad!!! This will be a first trip back to Kansas and hope its much better now. The reports are mixed but know we will have a good time how ever it turns out. We do get into some wild quail that is so special now days. Few people get to hunt wild quail anymore. Remember a 16 kills like a 12 but carries like a 20...(-: Thanks all SXS ohio