16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Choke in a SxS?
JJO
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 8:20 pm  Reply with quote

On a SxS shotgun, if one barrel is choked tighter than the other, which would typically be choked tighter? The left or the right? Or does that vary between manufacturers?

Thanks
Jim
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 9:08 pm  Reply with quote

The "norm" is: Right barrel is choked more open, Left barrel is choked tighter.

Some Brittish guns were choked the other way around for taking a longer first shot at incoming (driven) birds and a closer second shot, but those are pretty rare guns these days.
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 11:50 am  Reply with quote

Dave, relatively few Brit guns were ever "reverse choked" either. Reason: Almost all of them have double triggers. And if you have a DT gun, and if you can walk and chew bubblegum simultaneously, and if you're relatively familiar with DT's, you can simply go rear to front instead of front to rear on the triggers. I've got a Christie's auction catalog from a few years ago with quite a few pairs of guns, purpose-built for driven shooting. I don't believe any of them are reverse choked. Interestingly enough, some American sxs skeet guns--and all the classic American doublegun makers produced skeet guns back in the 30's--were reverse choked, "skeet out" in the right barrel, "skeet in" left. Skeet out being slightly tighter, because on skeet doubles, you shoot the going away bird first, which is the longer shot.
Orry
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 3:44 pm  Reply with quote

I am under the impression most double barrel shotguns have a selective trigger; I know the model 21’s do. Typically, the more open choke is found in the right barrel.
JJO
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 7:33 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. I wasn't sure if there was a "norm" or not. I am trying to check out an old 16 sxs that I inherited and was trying to see if I could figure out how it was choked. I haven't found anything I currently have that can measure the barrels accurately to determine if there is any difference between them. It looks like I will either have to have someone measure them for me or invest in a decent micrometer.
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 5:01 am  Reply with quote

JJO, the best tool is a dial-type bore gauge. However, they're fairly expensive. Galazan sells a little brass choke gauge that will usually give you an approximation of choke, and will almost always tell you which of the two barrels on the same gun is choked more tightly. The weakness of the Galazan tool (and it will measure choke in every gauge) is that it's predicated on standard bore diameter. If the gun you're measuring has a bore that's much bigger or smaller than standard, then your reading will be off. And although 16ga bores are supposed to be somewhere in the mid-.660's, I've measured some in the low .650's, and some in the low .670's.
But the Galazan tool usually works pretty well in comparing one barrel to the other on the same gun, because unless one barrel has been honed a lot or something and the other not, there's usually not that much difference between bore sizes on the same gun.
Orry
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 1:25 pm  Reply with quote

Choke is knowing what the bores measure and how much constriction is at the end of the barrels. Anything short of that, in my opinion, is an exercise that really doesn’t take you anywhere. JJO, if you can’t locate someone with a measuring gauge close, box those barrels and ship them to me. I’ll send them back the next morning with all the information you need.