16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Double gun dilemma
Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:56 am  Reply with quote

You need to spend time shooting an old double with a lot of drop at heel which most have. They don't fit like modern guns and you might wish you had tried one first. Most gun clubs have members with one or more in the safe. A notice on the bulletin board should help you find one to try and most gunners won't mind letting you try theirs. Weight is another issue if you want to dog walk all day. Try to keep it under 6.5 lbs. Good luck and report back on your quest. Reno

Pheasanthunter88
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:59 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the input so far.. I forgot to mention I currently shoot a 1956 Stevens 311a 16ga I am not sure if that is comparable at all to the drop at the heel in the guns i am currently looking at.. Based on the answers here and other research I have decided the flues is out of the picture... I leaning on getting a savage fox with 26" barrels weighing 6.4 pounds.. The gun is listed at 1150.. Idk if that is a good deal?? Any more information or recommendations would be greatly appreciated..
fin2feather
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:06 pm  Reply with quote

That's a good price if condition is right and if the barrels haven't been cut. And make sure it's a Sterlingworth and not a Model B; that would be way high for a Model B. You might take a look at foxcollectors.com; lots of info there.

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:31 pm  Reply with quote

At that price it better be on face. Take the forearm off and while holding it by the grip shake it to see if there's play. Deduct $200 if there is for two ships and the smith. Reno

Savage16
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:35 am  Reply with quote

Pheasant hunter-If you are looking at Nitro specials, you may want to consider the Western Arms long range double which was made by Ithaca and nearly identical to the Nitro. In that same type or price point you could also look at the Fulton model by Hunter Arms(L C Smith) Also,you mention only wanting to use the gun for pheasants so maybe look at guns with longer barrels which give a smoother swing on those long and crossing shots. 28 inchers or even 30's work better for this in the wide open spaces than the 26 er's. Just my opinion though. I do really like my L C Smith featherweight with 30 inchers for pheasants, but not so much in the grouse woods.

Pheasanthunter88
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:09 am  Reply with quote

Well the search is over. After about a month and a half I finally found the perfect double gun for me.. A Utica Fox Sterlingworth 16ga with 26" barrel and it has slightly light modified/slightly improved modified chokes..
I had never held a 16ga that wasn't on a 12ga frame until and I held this one and let me tell ya something brothers it was the cream of the crop.. At first I set out to find the perfect pheasant gun and I ended up with a perfect rabbit and grouse and pheasant gun I couldn't be happier.. Total cost with tax was 1200 so I put it on layaway and put 400 down on it.. Should have her paid off in about 3 weeks..

I got pictures to post but can't figure out How I need some help fellas..
fin2feather
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:58 am  Reply with quote

You will love that 16ga Fox; as you said, the cream of the crop. Good find; hope you shoot it well and long.

To post pictures you need to first put them on a hosting site; I use photobucket but there are several out there.

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Pheasanthunter88
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:07 pm  Reply with quote

[URL=http://s567.photobucket.com/user/pat_schende/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsyzqvkpft.jpg.html] [/URL]

[URL=http://s567.photobucket.com/user/pat_schende/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps5kr2ubhm.jpg.html] [/URL]
Hyckory Styck
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:06 pm  Reply with quote

Beautiful! Congratulations

Revelation 16, 28"

A gun should be made of steel and wood, not alloy and plastic.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:48 am  Reply with quote

You will like the gun. I picked one up this summer with comparable metal finish and rougher stocks. I bought it cheap and will fix it up like I have done with some of my other old guns. It has quickly moved into position as my favorite shotgun.
The gun you have may be a 2 1/2" chamber gun. Later Utica guns had 2 3/4" chambers. Mine had the shorties. Since I am a hunter and not a collector, I lengthened the chambers and forcing cones. The gun is going to see a tremendous amount of time afield. 2 1/2" options are available if needed though. Many on this site have plenty of info.

rldarmstr
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:34 am  Reply with quote

I have an LC Smith I would part with if you are interested. 16ga, 26" barrels M/F chokes, 1947 vintage. Lever right of center.

When I got it, it had an after market fore arm which I replaced with an original splinter fore arm. It's well used but tight and points like a dream. No defects other than a lot of use.

I have $900 in it and that's all I want out of it.

If you give me am email address I will send pic's.

I haven't advertised it yet. Just started thinking abut thinning out my closet and I saw this thread. Let me know if you have any interest.
canvasback
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:17 am  Reply with quote

You bought the right gun. I have two....they are great. Not just for the money!

1925 Ferlach 29" 6 lbs 7 oz
1923 Greifelt 29" 6 lbs 1 oz
1928 Simson 29.5" 6 lbs
1893 Lindner Daly FW 28” 5 lb 11oz