16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  The world of 16g a. reloading has changed-opinions on wads
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:15 pm  Reply with quote

I reload almost all of my ammo for a variety of gauges, both lead and steel. However it has been sometime since I reloaded 16 ga. due to lack of a gun. That problem has finally been solved with the addition of a Fox Sterlingworth. I waited a great many years and recently found a "shooter" I could afford. The gun and I get along real well so far.
Back when I used to load for Mom's old Stevens 311 16 ga. component choices were different. There are new wads and the choice of hulls has changed noticeably. I have a great deal of expertise loading so my questions are not "how to" or where to start.
I have read quite a bit of info concerning wad to hull fitment. While I am fortunate enough to still have a most of my old hulls, including 280 cf Winchesters, a lot of my loading will be in Cheddite and Federal hulls.
Which wads fit tight enough in those hulls to prevent powder migration during long hikes? I have experienced the problem with 28 ga. Federal hulls and WW wads and don't care to repeat the problem.
Now for the tougher part, which of the euro type wads actually hold 1 to 1 1/8 ounces of shot in the cup rather than leaving part unprotected?
Also, any hull fitment comments on the revised Claybuster series, both 7/8 oz. and 1 oz versions would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance. Very Happy

skeettx
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:16 pm  Reply with quote

https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/reloading16gauge/info

go to above link, join group (may take a little while to be accepted), should be good to go...

Brewster11
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:04 pm  Reply with quote

Since you asked, here is my opinion, and only that: the SG16 works great for me with both Cheddite and Fiocchi hulls, with no powder migration in my experience. True, the SG16 cup does not hold 1 oz but I no longer care much because it handles so many loads so very well at lower pressures than longer shot cup wads. If you study the load tables you will notice that the SG16 handles a very wide range of different powders, which is important because many of us do not have vast quantities of powder kegs lining our basement shelves, and we must make do with whatever dogs breakfast of powders are available at the moment. For this reason alone the SG16 reigns above the others in my estimation. Its patterns may (or may not) be a tad wider than other wads I but merely use a tighter choke when I want a tighter pattern.

The SG16 also works great for 2.5 inch hulls as well because of its design, including some excellent 1oz loads. The Field Commander is also very good and has a longer shot cup than SG16 but the published pressures are a bit higher for the same load of powder, and is not as consistent for me to load as SG16, nor does it have as many published loads.

Brewster
jschultz
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:35 am  Reply with quote

When I began loading 16 GA shotgun shells I was disappointed with hull quality and wad choices and availability. I stumble across Rocky Mountain Cartridge (RMC) brass hull mfg. in Cody and since has been sold and relocated to Worland.
In over 50 years of reloading I have never had better patterns. The hulls can be loaded with either 1-piece plastic or card and fiber using gauge appropriate published recipes for straight walled hulls. In my case card and fiber wads gave me the best patterns. And … they would look very nice when being inserted into a Fox Sterlingworth. Very Happy
A press is not recommended or necessary, just simple hand tools.

OR

To make these:
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:41 am  Reply with quote

The two Claybuster clones reportedly have slightly larger diameters than the original WW16AA 1 ounce wads. So does the DR16 wad which is based on the original Winchester wad design. The wad base skirts are both generous and supple due to the hemispherical base cup design. The skirts will obturate and seal in most flake powder charges in any hull regardless of internal diameter. These wads might also do the same for spherical powders, especially if sufficient wad seating pressure and firm crimps are applied. The original WW16AA wads might also work well in roomier hulls for the same reasons. Trial and error will guide you here.

If you also use Remington SP16 and R16 wads which are 1st generation wad designs, I have found a workable solution to the problem. You can find it by scanning my recent past posts. Best read my posts carefully and apply my advice conservatively w/ moderation to avoid any problems. In the past, others didn't and the average peak pressures of their somewhat exuberant loads went above acceptable average peak pressures. I don't wish anyone to go there again.