16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Blue Peters hulls (12) & older Federal (16) hulls
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:49 am  Reply with quote

I came into some blue Peters 12 ga hulls, plastic, and some older purple Federal 16 ga hulls - ribbed plastic.

As to the Peters, does anyone know whether those take 209-series primers or the *57 series? Ideas as to reloading w/ 7/8 oz?

As to the Federals, are those the wound paper base wad hulls? How many reloads can I expect to get out of them?

Also, a bit OT, seeing Green Dot and Unique show up as "in stock" on various sites.
skeettx
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:13 pm  Reply with quote

The Peters Blue Magic hulls use the 209 primer
The Peters All American use the 209 primer
The Peters hulls with the black or white plastic base wed use the 209 primer.
The OLD Peters hulls with the saw dust base wad use the *57 primers.

If Blue Magic you can use the same loads as Win AA.

The All American have a very tall base wad and I use the 1 ounce wad to load 7/8 ounce loads.

What hull do you have?

Mike

Last edited by skeettx on Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
byrdog
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:06 pm  Reply with quote

The feds will last a fair number of loadings. If the heads are brass they will eventually split. if your sizer is a ring that pushes down to the base the rims will become oversize and not chamber. the collet type Mec sizer is the way to go.For years I have heard concerns about the rolled paper wad coming loose and creating a barrel obstruction. I used the 12ga version of this hull for dove hunting in AZ. I used hundreds of hulls over and over again and again. untill the crimps were so burned that they would not crimp any longer. I never had a base wad loosen and fall out in the ten years I hunted there.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:48 am  Reply with quote

If All American , I would toss em quick . Back in their day , they set the all time blown barrel record in this area . Base wads popping out of even factory loads . A whole barrel full of trashed single barrels kept as the trophies !

Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:18 am  Reply with quote

skeettx wrote:
The Peters Blue Magic hulls use the 209 primer
The Peters All American use the 209 primer
The Peters hulls with the black or white plastic base wed use the 209 primer.
The OLD Peters hulls with the saw dust base wad use the *57 primers.

If Blue Magic you can use the same loads as Win AA.

The All American have a very tall base wad and I use the 1 ounce wad to load 7/8 ounce loads.

What hull do you have?

Mike

Blue plastic base wad - looks to be of the same plastic as the tube. Not a deep base wad - pretty close to level with the business end of the primer. Possibly/probably all one piece of plastic and not a separate base wad.
Nothing on the tube except "Peters" in black print; "Remington Peters 12 ga" on the headstamp. No mention of "All American" anywhere.
skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:34 pm  Reply with quote

If they are like this, you can use the Win AA data

Get that data here, there is LOTS

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/recipedetail.aspx?shotype=&weight=0.875&weightdis=7%2f8&shellid=492&gtypeid=3&gauge=12

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/shotgun

Black Belt
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:40 pm  Reply with quote

Wow, Mile, thanks! I have a bunch of hose and have been loading them with Rem STS data! Only loading 3/4oz out of them at a relatively low pressure, but had no idea they needed the Win data. Appreciate the info!
curteric
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:55 pm  Reply with quote

I also have beer cases full of the Peters hulls and have been using STS data to load them. This is the first time I've heard that you can use AA data. Looking at the design of these, they compare to the old Compression formed. I don't know why you couldn't use either sets of data.
Carlos
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:06 pm  Reply with quote

curteric wrote:
I also have beer cases full of the Peters hulls and have been using STS data to load them. This is the first time I've heard that you can use AA data. Looking at the design of these, they compare to the old Compression formed. I don't know why you couldn't use either sets of data.

In 12 gauge I use AA data for all Remington or Peters hulls. The crimps come out the same, and results are satisfactory.

I have a TULA TOZ 66 that I used to use for cowboy action shooting. The Blue Peters and Green STS, Gold Nitro 28 & Gun Club all shucked out with a rearward jerk very smartly.

Last edited by Carlos on Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:08 am; edited 2 times in total
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:18 pm  Reply with quote

skeettx wrote:
If they are like this, you can use the Win AA data

Get that data here, there is LOTS

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/recipedetail.aspx?shotype=&weight=0.875&weightdis=7%2f8&shellid=492&gtypeid=3&gauge=12

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/shotgun

Those are the ones.

Sweet - lots of loads, and with components I have!

I just like the blue because it's blue. I miss the Peters boxes with the flying ducks.

Thanks, guys!
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:18 am  Reply with quote

D-I-M ... as you load these , check them after the final crimp at the brass . The 20's used to split there from the compression of crimping and are diff to chamber . I believe I had some 12's do this , but A-D-D doesn't let me remember ! You'll know if it does it .

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:36 am  Reply with quote

The original smooth sided Peters Blue Magic hulls from the 1980's were the forerunners of the Remington Premier and later STS compression formed (one piece) hulls. They were far superior to the first Remington ribbed translucent green compression formed hulls (RXP target hulls I think?) Blue Magics could be reloaded at least 6 times and sometimes far more before the mouths split. The Remington RXP hulls weren't nearly as tough.

The new Remington STS hulls can't hold a candle to the long discontinued Blue Magic and original medium green Premiers. I think the Remington bean counters got into the act again here and had the STS hulls "El Cheapoed" to force increased sales of their factory premium???? grade ammo. It's a case of "too good is not good for the bottom line". Bean counters suck. Crying or Very sad