16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  RIO hulls
16er
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:43 pm  Reply with quote

I have been a member of the 16 group for several years. As I now am retired looking forward to having conversations with this group. Thanks for all your information. Since RIO is now manufacturing in the U.S. Thought I would try some of their hulls. Does anyone have any load data using their 16 ga hull, primer and the DR 16 wad. I've loaded some 3/4 oz , 15 gr international DR 16 wad with a filler, targets broke fine . Any help is greatly appreciated.
Charlie16ga
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:33 pm  Reply with quote

I was talking with some friends I made down south this last spring and they load up Rio hulls (and Fiocchi) for 16 gauge action. They were using 18 grains of Green Dot under 3/4 oz using the DR16 wad. Claimed to be getting around 1250 to 1300 FPS, BUT they did not give me a pressure level so I have never loaded them.

I made a note of the load, but when I referenced my load list I had no known load to compare close enough to do more than keep it in my records.

Use or do not at your own risk!

02' Rem 870 Exp
53' Rem 870 Wing
53' Mar 90 DT
50' Mar 90 DT
47' Rem 31L
46' Win 12 (2)
33' Rem 31
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:04 am  Reply with quote

I would back that load off just a little , but most likely OK where it is .... Just check a case or 2 to see what size primer is in there - may be the bigger one .

Carlos
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:04 am  Reply with quote

I just accessed their website and product information had not been posted. It seems that BIG 5 in Bellingham WA might be the closest dealer to me.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:54 am  Reply with quote

Charlie16ga wrote:
I was talking with some friends I made down south this last spring and they load up Rio hulls (and Fiocchi) for 16 gauge action. They were using 18 grains of Green Dot under 3/4 oz using the DR16 wad. Claimed to be getting around 1250 to 1300 FPS, BUT they did not give me a pressure level so I have never loaded them.

I made a note of the load, but when I referenced my load list I had no known load to compare close enough to do more than keep it in my records.

Use or do not at your own risk!

16 grains of Green Dot under a DR16 wad w/ 3/4 ounce of shot produces about 9000 PSI give or take a bit in the RGL or the discontinued WW16AA compression formed hulls. Rio, Cheddite, Fiocchi, and other closely similar straight wall polyformed plastic hulls of this type have considerably larger internal volumes. If used with the same components and shot load weight in these roomier hulls, 18 grains of Green Dot will produce a safe load with very similar ballistic characteristics. Peak load pressures and velocities should be nearly the same.
Charlie16ga
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:47 pm  Reply with quote

I figured it was safe, but in my junior reloading grade, I did not feel comfortable working from too much modification from known load data.

If you look at loads developed by Mike Campbell, Bowbuilder, and Ballistic Products I think it is safe to say 18 grains would be within safe PSI levels. HOWEVER, to me, the fps is pushing at bit higher than I really care to try.

The closest published load that I have found is exactly as I have stated above with the exception of using a SG16 along with a NC16 instead of the DR16. It would qualify for a low pressure load. The impact of pressure created by different wads in different hulls is out side my current pay grade.

02' Rem 870 Exp
53' Rem 870 Wing
53' Mar 90 DT
50' Mar 90 DT
47' Rem 31L
46' Win 12 (2)
33' Rem 31
Carlos
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:37 pm  Reply with quote

I had to inquire from RIO, and promptly got this response;

"Thank you for getting in touch with us regarding the availability of our 16ga shells. Currently we ship everything in full truck loads to regional distributors. We then rely on these distributors to break the product down into market further. Our 16ga is available through a variety of retailers including

- Sportsman’s Warehouse

- Dick’s Sporting Goods

- Cabela’s

- Able Ammo

- Natchez Shooters Supply

As well as a variety of others.

Please let me know if you have any other questions and thank you for expressing interest in Rio.

Regards, Brice Jarratt
Customer Service Manager / Sales"
byrdog
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:03 am  Reply with quote

I use Rio new primed hulls for my Grouse loads. I like em. the primer is larger than a standard 209 so I use their primers as well and if I want to use a 209 I resize the primer pocket.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/