16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  WTB Mec Sizemaster 28 GA.
boutdoors
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:47 pm  Reply with quote

Looking for a 28 ga. reloader if anyone is wanting to sell. Let me know
Thanks,
Robert
oregunner
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:33 pm  Reply with quote

My buddy loads 28 gauge on a Sizemaster, and seems to have a lot of issues with the resizer collet. I load mine on a 600 Jr and don't have issues. Just a thought.

boutdoors
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:39 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for your input I'll keep that in mind
df
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:56 am  Reply with quote

I use a sizemaster on four gauges including 28

They are terrific loaders and I have no problems with my 28 ga, or others for that matter.
JNW
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:44 pm  Reply with quote

Size asters are awesome! Excellent single stage loader. Only thing better is a 9000 on an Automate.
Regards,
Jeff
P.S. Actually, a Spolar with hydraulics is better yet!
putz463
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:02 am  Reply with quote

No affiliation, don't know if they will ship.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/spo/5128669549.html

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:45 am  Reply with quote

First question is: How many shells per year are you going to load?

If you are only going to load a few hundred 28's per year, a MEC 600 (or 700 basically the same) is the way to go. And if you will load small batches of a variety of different hulls and loads, it is especially a good choice because it is less complicated to change from one hull or load to another. Also, if you load other gauges, you can interchange die sets pretty easily. A 600 at current retail price ($220), saving about $6 per box, pays for itself in 37 boxes (925 shells).

A MEC 9000 at current retail ($678) pays for itself in 113 boxes (2825 shells), so if you load a few thousand 28's per year, it is the way to go. It will be a dedicated-to-gauge loader, but is still easily adjustable for a variety of hulls and loads, though it is slightly more complicated to do so.

Of course, if you find a used MEC, your payback could come sooner.

For high volume, I agree whole-heartedly with JNW on the 9000 with Automate combination. I have 5 of them for my target loads -- one Automate and five 9000's, that is.

I still use a fleet of 7 gauge-different 600/700's for my low volume hunting loads. I keep them simply because I had them first, I suppose. I acquired almost all of them used and dirt cheap, so they are no financial burden. If you had a 9000 you could still load all your low-volume hunting specials, even single-loading just like on a 600 -- still very versatile. There is a philosophy out there that says buy a 9000 and have it all (except gauge changing).

I would never screw with any other MEC's except the 9000, the 600 or the 700, unless I got them at an extraordinarily low price to make up for their deficiencies (250, 300, 310, 400, 500, Super 600 and 650) or their compromises (Sizemaster and Grabber). Usually, however, the asking price for those reloaders is much greater than a 600, and in the case of the Grabbers it is right up there close to used 9000's -- check eBay. Makes no sense to me. I'm sure people loyal to their own choices will pi55 all over this, but to each his own -- hey, what's a forum for anyway, right? Of course there are loaders of other manufacture, most of which do a good job, but almost all of which have much worse factory support, different adjustability ease, are more costly and take up more room on the bench. Some of these tout advantages, but few actually have them vs. the MEC system. That's why you see much much fewer of them out in the real world.

Cheers!
Tony Lowe
hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:03 pm  Reply with quote

Lube the collet and the problems willl go away