16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  OT-Plinkin' .22's
double vision
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:25 am  Reply with quote

I too wanted a Woodsman, but in the end decided to stay modern. This is my Po-Man's Woodsman. Wink

[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/ip7NKwxJj] [/URL]
fin2feather
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:40 am  Reply with quote

When I went looking for a Woodsman I couldn't decide between the Target and the Sport. I really like the look of the long barrel on the Target model, but I found a sport model c. 1937 with condition and price that I just couldn't pass on. Rudolph, that Target model is sweet!

The M61 rifle belonged to my brother, who never took to hunting or shooting. It was around our house as long as I can remember and when I left home I just took it along. I tried to give it back to him a few years ago but he told me to keep it. I told him it was worth a little money but he said just keep it, which I gladly did. It dates from 1946; he and my dad were at an auction in the late 40's or early 50's, bidding against each other from opposite sides of the room but didn't know it. I think they ran the price up to $40 before Dad quit. Here's my entire Winchester "collection"...

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:46 am  Reply with quote

I shoot a long barreled High Standard that was my dad's and I enjoy. I also own a Ruger SS Government model with a bull barrel and fiber optic sights. It's a beast and fabulous plinker with match grade bullets that I hope to get painted for hunting one day. When we had a cook that would clean and cook game I waffled between a 62 and 63 Winchester for squirrels and the best iron sight shooting I ever saw was my first cousin reaching bushytails from tree tops treed by feists with his Nylon 66.

If I did it again I would look at the Buckmark because the one I tested had the best trigger I ever pulled on a pistol. Mike, did you mean two pounds or is your trigger really set at 2 oz.?

Reno

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:33 am  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:
Brain eating wasn't one of our traditions, Ted. I always hated cleaning squirrels.

I had an old VA mountain dweller show me the quick and easy way to clean them. First he'd take his bag of squirrels to the side of a nearby abandoned barn or cabin (lots of them scattered throughout the mountain hardwood hollers where we hunted), but he also told me to use a wide trunked old hardwood tree if an unused building wasn't nearby. Next he slit his whole bag of squirrels open from neck to crotch with a razor sharp pen knife blade and slit open the thorax membrane. Then he pulled the wind pipe loose and tugged out the heart and lungs down past the membrane to the top of the intestines. Finally, he'd stand on one side of the barn corner and sling the squirrel by the head back first and slap it across the other side. He'd get the guts and all to fly out w/o a hitch every time. My first attempts were messy to say the least, but I soon got the hang of it.

I can say it was quick and easy w/o any mess to clean up once I mastered the trick. Works for rabbits too. The trick is to find an unused barn or the proper tree. Homeowners tend to take a dim view if you use their garage or storage shed. Laughing
skeettx
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:04 pm  Reply with quote

JUST HAD to add two more

Pre-Wat Colt Ace without the floating chamber

Woodsman with high speed housing

What JOY !!

Mike
gunut
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:33 pm  Reply with quote

Its a shame that with the lack of cheap plentiful ammo the market value of most of those old shooters will be dropping like the stock market in the near future..... Rolling Eyes

NY16ga
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:03 am  Reply with quote

Ruger Single Six for me too. That was probably the first pistol I ever shot as a kid and I loved it. The old man had a pretty extensive collection of handguns when I was growing up but whenever we went to the woods or the range I always wanted to bring that Ruger (His Colt Trooper .357 was a close second though)

For .22 long guns, I always loved shooting the Marlin 39A. My dad and his buddies had a giant hunting lease in central FL and we went every weekend even if it wasn't deer or turkey season. I guess I bugged him too much when he just wanted to relax when it wasn't hunting season so he'd typically turn me loose on that property with some combination of that Marlin 39A, our German shorthairs, and a 1977 CJ7 3-speed Jeep. Those were dark times for the squirrels and rabbits in the area...
Charlie16ga
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:42 am  Reply with quote

My first car was a 76' CJ 5 god I loved that Jeep!

02' Rem 870 Exp
53' Rem 870 Wing
53' Mar 90 DT
50' Mar 90 DT
47' Rem 31L
46' Win 12 (2)
33' Rem 31
double vision
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:10 am  Reply with quote

I added some grips that I like better. Now if I could only shoot better.

[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/eyd3MkSOj] [/URL]
NY16ga
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:41 am  Reply with quote

Charlie16ga, me too. My father still likes to say that Jeep would climb a tree, for the most part we even kept up with swamp buggies. I think I shot my first hog with a Marlin .30-30 balanced on the roll bar. The floorboards started to rust through from so much time in the FL swamp and we just kept fiberglassing the holes until there was barely any metal left. He finally gave it to a friend to use for guiding quail hunts, with nice dog boxes in the back too. I really wish I had been able to take it off his hands but I just didn't have anywhere to put it at the time. One of these days I'll get around to buying one again...
BigCreekMI
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:10 pm  Reply with quote

I like the Winchester 52 Sporters. Had a nice original 52C for a lot of years until the prices got so high I felt compelled to sell it. Have owned a couple of the Browning Japanese "repros"; an early one marked Browning and my current Winchester marked 52 that is also designated to be "Utah Centennial 1866-1966". Found the re-issues to be just as accurate as the originals with nice triggers.

fin2feather
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:53 pm  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:
I added some grips that I like better

I've always wanted a set of stag grips for my Woodsman, I bought a set on ebay but they were way too thick and totally changed the feel of the gun. Fortunately the seller was a good one and offered a full refund. Right now I've got a set of vintage "plasti-stag" grips on her which feel fine but the look doesn't really float my boat. Still looking for the right set of real stags!

I'd even consider carved or jigged bone, or even more realistic psuedo-stags!

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:18 pm  Reply with quote

If you're looking for something new production, say for a youngster in need of a .22, I can recommend you look over at Cabelas. They're having a sale on a .22 bolt action made by CZ/Zastava, for all of $179.99.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/CENTURY-CZ-RIFLES/2044469.uts
I've examined them in the store and (a) they appear very solidly made with good fit and finish, (b) have real wood stocks with real checkering, (c) are sized such that a young'n will be able to handle them and an adult, too. Dovetailed for a scope. Comes with 2 5-shot mags, as well.

If I had a kid, I'd buy one even if I had to put it away for the Christmas when the kid would be old enough to get it.
double vision
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:58 pm  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:
I added some grips that I like better. Now if I could only shoot better.

[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/eyd3MkSOj] [/URL]

I picked this guy (below) up the same day as the slab-sided Buckmark above. I just didn't want to share until I got the optics and mounts sorted out. Cool

It's amazing what an extra shotgun can turn into. Needed other things to shoot and obsess on for a while.

[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/exnnWbtLj] [/URL]