16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Herter's 1 oz. disappointments
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:16 pm  Reply with quote

That's why I originally grabbed them. $1 more a box than it costs to load the 1 oz hand loads and a bunch of hulls I didn't already have.
I shot up a box along with some ancient Winchesters (pre-mark v, no shot wrapper) on decoying doves early this morning. Stayed busy and had a great time.

Chukarman
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:59 pm  Reply with quote

I bought a flat of these cartridges last Spring and broke the first box open for dove opener. About 40% of the hulls had corroded metal heads and could not be lifted by the extractors on my Fox C grade after firing. Major PITA.

The cartridges were stored under good conditions in my gun room, so I do not think that the problem developed AFTER I bought them. Anyone else seen this problem?

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:07 am  Reply with quote

I have many moons ago. The problem was traced back to the distributer. The roof of his storage facility had a leak. He or his insurance company was dumping his damaged stock on the market, presumably at a discount. My supplier attempted to pass the problem on to me w/o comment. I saw the damage to the cardboard case exteriors before buying any and said no thanks. He was not happy. His problem, not mine. Caveat emptor. The manufacturer was not at fault.

Best keep in mind that imported ammo is shipped stateside by sea in huge cargo containers which often sit for months or years before being inspected by US customs. Some containers leak.

Remember--caveat emptor. Look first, then buy. If you must buy sight unseen on line or by phone, then make it explicit beforehand in writing if possible, that you will not accept damaged goods or be responsible for return postage if the vender tries to dump damaged goods to you. Make it your policy that no deliveries are to be left at your address by anyone w/o your signature. Look at the shipment before signing for it. Refuse it if you see evidence of damage. The delivery firm is obliged to return the refused shipment to the sender w/o any cost to you. If damage is not readily apparent, then handle the damaged goods as little as possible, seal the shipping box back up, and request a 2nd chance to refuse the shipment from the delivery firm. Sometimes they will agree with you and accept it for return shipment. If not, then call the vender and request a return call tag for his damaged goods. Never accept responsibility for the return postage. Make it clear you will expect reimbursement if the vender refuses to cover the cost. Use a credit card w/ a solid buyer protection feature and be ready to use it. In other words, get some protection in depth--and remember, CAVEAT EMPTOR.
Chukarman
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:37 am  Reply with quote

I hear what you are saying, but I won't live my life expecting to be cheated. If I get burned, I do what I can to rectify the problem and NEVER do business with that firm again. Good bye, Cabela's.

A correction…

Quote:
Best keep in mind that imported ammo is shipped stateside by sea in huge cargo containers which often sit for months or years before being inspected by US customs. Some containers leak.

I am in the import business. Containers to not sit in port for more than a few days (unless there is a strike) before being processed through HomeLand Security. Once this is done the Port wants them GONE. They will charge demurrage on containers not picked up ASAP. However, It may well be that some importer/distributor/jobber has stored the product improperly - perhaps in a recycled container?

1stgun
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:25 am  Reply with quote

Now, yes, now, I have all the reasons I need as to why I missed those few doves on opening day. I feel much better knowing all of this was at play and that my shooting had nothing to do with it.

Thanks and as always, regards,

Chuck Wink

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:45 pm  Reply with quote

Actually, since my gun is choked tight and the doves were not terribly far on most of my shots, the poor quality shot likely helped my score improve. I was kind of counting on it to be honest. I did have one shell with an issue I have never seen in a factory round though, the hull was crinkled! Big time.
I have used up most all of my Herter's shells and killed one heckuva bunch of doves. As expected, my reloads performed much better on longer shots (major league difference on the pattern board too). At 35 yards and under, the Herters shell worked fine, as would any load should at those yardages through a modified or full choke.

studdog
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:51 am  Reply with quote

Well, all the wad discussion aside, I seen great results with the herters loads for both clays and birds. IMHO they perform as well as any other without plated shot.

3crosses
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:22 am  Reply with quote

Went dove hunting Sat using a browning BPS anf Herters shells.
Took a limit of birds with 26 shots.
But, I did have two hulls fail to eject. Stuck, had to take the barrel off and pry shell out. Didn't see any erosion of hull.
Charlie16ga
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:14 am  Reply with quote

3crosses,

If you look back in Spring I talked about experiencing the same failure issue with cheddite-winchester ammo.

I spent some time looking into the issue and found it seems to be experienced by a minority of BPS users throughout the gauges with certain (usually cheaper) ammo. I am not sure I would call it a flaw, but suggestions are that it has to do with the single bottom extractor.

Here is the post:

http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=159210&highlight=#159210

Last edited by Charlie16ga on Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:18 am; edited 1 time in total

02' Rem 870 Exp
53' Rem 870 Wing
53' Mar 90 DT
50' Mar 90 DT
47' Rem 31L
46' Win 12 (2)
33' Rem 31
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:16 am  Reply with quote

If you look inside the box tops of the Herters shells, you'll see the date they were loaded. I have not seen any more than 6 months old as of the time I bought them.

Let me say that again: Herters shells are getting from factory to you in 6 months or less.

(For that matter, Cabelas only started carrying them back in 2013.)

So, either the container leaked - badly - while on the boat or the shells were stored badly somewhere else between factory and consumer. Either way, you should have been able to spot the damage before buying - the cardboard would have shown the effects of getting soaked.

As noted upthread, CAVEAT EMPTOR. If they're being shipped to you and they show up disastrous, reject the shipment and contact the shipper immediately.

I would still contact Cabelas about the problems you had. They might toss you a gift card or new shells. They are as interested in their products' quality as you are. Maybe more.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:38 am  Reply with quote

Yes what Dave said , I think if you contact Cabelas you will be more than satisfied .
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:05 am  Reply with quote

I have shot about 20 flats of the Herters no problems no misfires all go bang. I broke out my old 16 Ga 1100 to warm up for ducks the ejector on the 1100 doesn't like the thin rounded rim of the Herters shell and won't eject them. So I just don't use them in that Gun. I agree with Chukarman don't live my life looking for cheats If I feel I didn't get my moneys worth I just don't buy it again. I don't enjoy spending hours and days searching for bargains and really don't enjoy thinking I really put it to the vendor. I enjoy giving my business to people making money that's what it's all about. Profit helps them stay in business and improve their products. When I buy the cheapest shells available my expectations are they will break clay and give me a supply of empty hulls. I live in Lancaster county Pennsylvania I know about people that are cheap. The Herters shells are worth what they are asking for them eggs are worth $2.99 a dozen and milk at $4 a gallon is cheap to me. My grandfather taught me Value is more important than price.
studdog
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:27 am  Reply with quote

Herters 16 gauge 1 ounce loads have worked in all my 16's including a vintage sweet sixteen. Never a misfire jam or ejection problem. They also seem to burn cleaner than most.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:07 am  Reply with quote

Chukaman says, "I hear what you are saying, but I won't live my life expecting to be cheated."

Neither do I. Nobody should. However, our world has changed quite a bit since I was a boy, and it's never been a perfect one. Few folks are dishonest at heart, but we all screw up for one reason or another. We humans also tend to take the point of least resistance when we do. Just how it is.

Many of us no longer buy our ammo or reloading supplies at brick and mortar shops where we can inspect the goods first hand. So it's a wise policy to first put some protection in place before buying anything on line or over the phone.

Caveat Emptor is an ancient concept best considered part of everyday life--especially in today's big wide world. It saves us a lot of disappointments and misery. Otherwise, we are open to getting screwed over all too often either by design or by incompetence w/ little to no recourse.

While I argee that intentional dishonesty should never be tolerated, I think we are best off cutting some slack for the rest of us imperfect beings. Drawing up a list of folks who can kiss our butts once and forever due to incompetence or circumstances beyond their control and committing to it is at least as cumbersome as putting some safeguards in place beforehand to cover our butts in case they do. Then we don't have nearly as much baggage to tote around. We are far more free to continue to get the best service and convenience at the best prices from folks we already know might occasionally screw up w/ little to no damage done to us. Works for me. Might for anyone. Up to you. Good luck. Peace out.
John
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:57 am  Reply with quote

I'v shot a few flats of Herters and quickly found they don't kill squirrels nearly as well as WW
SuperX. Way to many cripples to have to run down. Been dove hunting twice and fist time
shooting % was not great. It was windy and hadn't shot in a while so I didn't think much about
it. Went dove hunting again yesterday and started out with Federal 1 1/8 oz loads and shot
very well. Switched over to Herters and shooting % couldn't be more miserable. It was also
very windy yesterday. So my take is as someone else mentioned. You pretty much get what you
pay for. They do burn clean though.

John