16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  The next group buy of Remington 1-ounce wads
chantey-joel
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:05 pm  Reply with quote

Hello, gents -

I am helping out my dad, who is 80 but still an active and interested skeet instructor, and who is very interested in getting some of those Remington 1-ounce wads (not "one-and-one-eighth ounce", he definitely wants to be sure) that can apparently only be obtained by divvying up group-purchases.

I'm logging in as him because I can access e-mail more often and faster.

Does anyone here know, please, how to get in on one of those buys of Remington 1-ounce wads?

(I'm pretty sure he's also going to be joining that low-pressure group. He was very excited to hear about that, since wants to use some 16-gauges that have Damascus barrels.)

Thank you very much for your time,

Doug Gross
Arlington VA

(for Joel Gross)
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:32 am  Reply with quote

Doug, your bet bet is to contact Recob's Target Shop directly. They are on the web. Use your favorite search engine and enter Recob's. They also have a 1-800 number. Contact Chris there. He will know what is what in regard to another order of the R16 wad. Please let us know what Chris says. Thanks
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:12 am  Reply with quote

What advantages are there to the R-16 vrs the BP wad?

Jeff
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:09 am  Reply with quote

Several. The R16 wad is slightly smaller in diameter and can be successfully used in any modern 2-3/4" 16 ga plastic hull. Any powder migration issues with fine ball powders can easily be addresssed with a simple polyethylene patch over the wad base. There is no problem with flake powder migration that I've seen. Gas blowby is never an issue. The wad base always obturates well enough to seal even the most roomy 16 ga hulls.

The R16 wad can safely be used as a direct substitute for reloading recipes calling for the now discontinued and fast disappearing WW16AA wad. It generates slightly less pressure than the Winchester wad right across the board. Some low pressure recipes will benifit from a slight increase in the powder charge, especially with slower powders, but this is not manditory. This is not so for the BP wad.

When bought in bulk, the R16 wad is at least as inexpensive as the BP wad. The BP wads are much more expensive if bought in small quantities. (Graf's sells the same Gualandi wads at a far more reasonable bulk price than BP.)

The R16 also has a deeper shot cup and a more traditional 4 petal domestic plastic wad design. It does a better job of protecting a full ounce of shot. It also helps throw a better, more evenly distributed pattern than all of the loads I've tested using the shallow cupped 2 petal Gualandi design. It appears to be somewhat more efficient too. It is a proven design with a 40 year plus history of successful use behind it. Both it and the SP-16 have been doing the job well ever since they were first introduced by Remington in the 60's.

Hope this info helps.
chantey-joel
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:56 am  Reply with quote

>>> Doug, your bet bet is to contact Recob's Target Shop directly.

Ah, now we're getting to the crux of it.

First of all, I read your comments about the wads over the phone to my dad, and he is very grateful that someone knowledgable has chimed in. He adds that he has no liking at all for the Italian wads.

Now, the thing is, dad has already talked with Recob's. *They are the place* that sells these 1-oz wads only in lots of 5000. That's why I am trying to find out, in these forums, about group-buys that are subdivided among the buyers.

The main area of shotshell reloading that my dad does is 12-20-28-410, as he is a competitive skeet shooter and instructor.

*In 16 gauge*, he has only one wonderful old nitro-proofed, Ithaca Damascus side-by-side, that he wants to develop a low-pressure load for, and 5000 wads would be far beyond anything he could reasonably use, or dispose of. He wants only about one bag - about 500.

And he is definitely joining that low-pressure group. He sent his check in about two days ago.

So ... are there occasional group-buys, from Recob's, arranged on these forums?

Again, thank you for your time!
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:29 am  Reply with quote

chantey-joel,
When you're Father gets his info from the 16 gauge low pressure group, you'll see that there's lots of loads not using the R-16 wad. But if he is hell bent on using the R-16 wad, I'll gladly sell him 500 of mine. I happen to use the SG-16 wad more than anything else.
Regards, Dave Miles
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:01 pm  Reply with quote

Joel, I'm the guy who started the whole R16 shebang off 6 years ago. I started campaigning Remington to reintroduce the R16 wad. I made myself such a PITA ( as only I can Laughing) that last year, they finally agreed to--sort of. They told me to convince Recob's to order at least 100K in 5K unbagged lots. I first got the folks here interested, took a head count, then basically handed the whole rigmaroll over the Recob's. They have sold over 1/2 million so far. You'd think Remington would get the picture, but NOOOOO!!! Rolling Eyes What shock there huh. Big Green is a big boob. Can you say DUH!?

If your Dad needs some, PM me. I'll send set you up at my cost plus shipping. I don't have much use for the Italian wads either. They are too short for subgauge 3/4 or 7/8 ounce loads, and their shotcups are too short for full 1 ounce loads--niether fish nor fowl it seems. Nor can they be used in Remington hulls either. They are too fat. but the R16 wad is jusssst right. Laughing This is beginning to sound familiar somehow and involves bears. I just can't put my finger on it. Oh well. Wink
chantey-joel
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:40 am  Reply with quote

Mssrs. Dave M., and 16gaugeguy, I thank you both!

*MY* personal bet is that dad is going to plow through 500 faster than he thinks. That's just my hunch. So I am sending a PM to 16gaugeguy to obtain 500 for straight-away use, and I will also send information to Dave M. and get 500, so that when dad starts to say things about needing more, I will just plop them down in front of him with a big grin.

Thank you both, very much!

Doug Gross
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:10 pm  Reply with quote

They went out yesterday via USPS Priority. Enjoy. 16GG.
Chukarman
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:07 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
*In 16 gauge*, he has only one wonderful old nitro-proofed, Ithaca Damascus side-by-side, that he wants to develop a low-pressure load for, and 5000 wads would be far beyond anything he could reasonably use, or dispose of. He wants only about one bag - about 500.

I am loading a <7000 PSI load as follows.

Win WAA16 CF hull
CCI 209 primer
19.5 grains 7625
R16 wad
1 oz. shot

The R16 offers lower pressure than the WAA16 blue wad, but is neraly identical in height and capacity.

C Man

storybrown
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:08 pm  Reply with quote

I don't see any R-16 wads at Recob's Target Shop - they seem to be out of pretty much everything. I would use R-16s if I could find them.

storybrown
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:25 am  Reply with quote

Call Recob's and ask for Chris. The R16 wads are a special order. You must order a minimum of one 5000 count box. This can be split between two or more buyers, but must be accepted as one lot. Recob's won't break up a box for you. Chris will tell you what the latest price per 5k box will be plus shipping and how many orders are pending.

When he gets a minimum of 20 orders (100K wads) the store will place it with Remington. Chris keeps track of the orders and wil notify you when the shipment comes in. so far, I'm aware of two orders, both exceeding the 100K minimum by a substantial margin.

I was hoping that Remington would see the light and offer the R16 again as as a retail componant. But so far, no dice. You can't seem to teach a dinosaur new tricks or common sense either. Rolling Eyes
pezman1963
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:01 pm  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
Call Recob's and ask for Chris. The R16 wads are a special order. You must order a minimum of one 5000 count box. This can be split between two or more buyers, but must be accepted as one lot. Recob's won't break up a box for you. Chris will tell you what the latest price per 5k box will be plus shipping and how many orders are pending.

When he gets a minimum of 20 orders (100K wads) the store will place it with Remington. Chris keeps track of the orders and wil notify you when the shipment comes in. so far, I'm aware of two orders, both exceeding the 100K minimum by a substantial margin.

I was hoping that Remington would see the light and offer the R16 again as as a retail componant. But so far, no dice. You can't seem to teach a dinosaur new tricks or common sense either. Rolling Eyes

Recobs had 5 cases left when my friends and I ordered 4 cases.
They may well be out.