16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Hulls ranked
old colonel
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:28 pm  Reply with quote

I am digging through my stock of hulls and trying to decide what is best to keep and get rid of.

At this point my ranking is from RMC full Brass, WinAA16 as best to cheditte 16 (both win and others) to federal purple, to fiochi, to rem black as lowest

I am not sure where to rank Holland & Holland 67mm, Nobel, polywad both 2 1/2 crimped and roll crimped, Green Remmington express, and mag tech

I am trying to determine what hulls give me the best range of loading options?

(Please don't PM me offers to take any of them off my hands at this point, if i decide to reduce stock I will post it in a few weeks)

JNW
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:37 pm  Reply with quote

What kinds of reloads do you want to make? Don't worry - I don't want any of your hulls. I have a lifetimes worth already.
Jeff.
jschultz
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:00 am  Reply with quote

Your RMC shells can be loaded with any published gauge appropriate recipe for straight walled hulls. Also, they can be loaded over 3k times.
old colonel
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:30 am  Reply with quote

Mostly 1 ounce loads for targets, some 1 1/8, occasional 7/8

JNW
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:31 am  Reply with quote

You can make all your various loads with any of the hulls you have. All you need are the proper components. In order of ease of loading and longevity I would rank them AACF, Cheddite, Federal, Remington and Fiocchi. For the Fiocchis it depends on which ones you have. The few I tried were shredded after 1 reload. Let us know what you decide to do.
Regards,
Jeff
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:37 am  Reply with quote

Yes the WW16AA one piece compression formed hull was perhaps the best one ever made if the number of times it could be reloaded were the only important factor. The WW16AA hull had it's drawbacks. It was never the roomiest available hull, so there have been better choices available for loading heavy express hunting loads of larger shot sizes all along.

None of the presently made, widely available 16 ga hulls are produced w/ reloadability in mind. They are all manufactured as single use toss aways to save production costs. Any of the 16 ga hulls we have access to suck in one way or another, but at least we can now get suitable plastic wads for any of them. So the end result is we are far better off than we were less than a decade ago.

I think getting a decent quantity of 16 ga hulls at the best price with the least effort should be the determining factor. Learn to use what you can get the easiest and cheapest to your best advantage.

Dwelling in the past is a losing proposition when it comes to obtaining 16 ga hulls to reload today. The WW16AA type hull has not been produced for several decades, and it's never coming back. It's been time to move on for quite a while. Saves a lot of head pestering nonsense IMO. Just sayin'.