16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  2003 browning citori 16- english stock
Jeff
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 12:45 pm  Reply with quote

I have a browning citori 16 being shipped to my town for a look see. word is, its a English stock, 2003, with 26 "barrels. Any idea exactly what this might be as far as model and value? Is there a breakdown somewhere of the 1500 guns made for bill hicks as far as grades and models. I believe the one coming to me is kinda rare!

Question 2- where can I get an affordable (even used) 20 ga citori pistol grip stock? Not a fan of the english stock and wouldnt mind replacing the wood to keep it pristine.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 4:59 am  Reply with quote

Jeff, the model you describe is called the "Superlight". It has a straight grip. the model of the same stock with 24" barrels is called the "Upland."

The length of pull, drop at comb, and heal is identical to the "lightning models. It is not at all too hard too get used to. IN fact, throughout the hunting season, the straight grip may prove an advantage, because you can move your hand slightly up or down the grip to adjust the relative length of pull and compensate for light or heavy clothing. I shoot both .410 and 28 ga. model Superlights. I hit about as well with them as my standard Lightnings.

The value of this model 16 ga. Citori is about 5% higher across the board than a Lightning. It is not a rare gun. Judge the piece on its condition and don't be misled into thinking its worth a sizable amount over a Grade I Lightning--that is assuming it is also a Grade I gun.

Fitting a 20 gauge stock might prove to be a bigger problem than you seem to be thinking. The 16 gauge action block is slightly wider than the 20 gauge model to compensate for the wider barrel block it must accomodate. I would consult the Browning repair facility at Arnold, MO. before assuming it can be easily done.
Jeff
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 8:19 am  Reply with quote

I called Browning, and spoke with a gal in parts. She looked it all up and said the 20 ga stocks are the same....... The fore end is diferent due to the barel size, but the stocks were interchangable. That is the problem with these guns. NO ONE can tell who knows anything about them from a production stand point or a parts stand point.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 10:14 am  Reply with quote

Thats fine, Jeff. However, I'd consult with one of the stock repair men there before accepting the word of a parts clerk. the "cheeks" of the stock abutting the sides of the action block are left a little proud to allow for shrinkage of the wood over the years. Unless Browning has changed the specs, and I doubt they have, a stock meant for a twenty through .410 model will not allow for this bit of extra wood and could prove problematic down the road. However, its your deal, your business, and your choice. Good luck in either case.