16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Just put the 3-shot migratory bird plug in
german_shepherd
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:26 am  Reply with quote

pulled the Ithaca 37 out, any one take their gun out and do a cleaning or something to it and all of a sudden get the itch to go outside and shoot? I know its not the best shotgun ever made but i love that old girl she swings,points,and aims nice. Ive always been an 870 fan and i have 3 of them various setups in 12ga.) but that 16 Ithaca is becoming my favorite field gun.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:11 am  Reply with quote

[quote="german_shepherd"]pulled the Ithaca 37 out, ...I know its not the best shotgun ever made but i love that old girl she swings,points,and aims nice.

Well GS, there are bunch of folks who both agree and disagree with you. They (myself included) also think a 16 ga Model 37 swings, points, and handles wonderfully. However, we also think the 16 ga. Model 37 is the best upland pump ever made. IMO, it is about the slickest and quickest to pump period. Nothing else even comes close. I also love the bottom feed/eject feature too on a hunting gun for several reasons.

Now if Remington saw fit to come out with a smaller framed 16 ga model 870, I'd be forced to agree that it would rival any other 16 ga. pump for upland use. However, Remington has continually insisted on making their 16 ga guns on 12 ga frames. Most folks find them a bit cumbersome for upland work.

So you go right on loving and shooting that old girl. you are in good company and a lot of it.
german_shepherd
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:03 am  Reply with quote

they had those new 870's (16ga) on sale near me for 199.00 with the 30.00 mail in rebate and i went to buy one but when i picked up and handled it, it felt exactly like my 12 gauges and to me kinda defeated the point. I know they are an excellent shotgun esp for the money and your right you could argue which is a better gun the Ithaca 37 or the 870 all day long like which is better Ford or Chevy. Im an 870 fan but the one i looked at didnt do it for me like my Ithaca 37 does.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:28 pm  Reply with quote

That is a give away price on a new 16 ga 870. However, folks still turn them down at any price. That says it all. It's the samr with the 1100 16 ga. folks just don't want a 7-3/4 pound 16 ga gun, period. You would think Remington would get the message. They just don't want to hear it.

The corporate mind set baffles me. However, I can see Remington going the way of Winchester. They make the same stupid mistakes over and over. At some point, any business must learn and adapt or belly up. It's inevitable. Remington just refuses to. They are a dinosaur now. I think they have been brain dead for years. What we are witnessing is not life but the rythmic thumping of the tail as the central nervous syastem shuts down.