16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Which of the following Semi-auto would vote as the best.

Vote for one of the following.
Remington 11-48,Rem Sportsman,Rem 1100,Rem Sportsman 58,Browning A-5 Standard,Browning A-5 Sweet 16.
92%
 92%  [ 12 ]
Which one would add that is not listed.
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 13

JT
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:40 pm  Reply with quote

tramroad28 wrote:
The best drive-thru coffee...Tim Hortons.

While I'm not familiar with Tim Hortons, I can say that when the Krispy Kreme Hot Light is on, they have pretty good coffee. Very Happy

JT
double vision
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:41 pm  Reply with quote

Not sure what the poll is quite asking but here goes. All those listed are classics, and good ones. As I get older I gravitate towards bluing and walnut and my favorite has been my old Rem. 11. Twice I tried to replace it with a Sweet 16 because I thought that fancier engraving and the cult allure might be even more of a good thing. Both times the nice Sweet 16's got sent packing. They just couldn't do it as well for me as my old 11. All that said, I still like to try out new stuff now and then, and light, soft-shooting and shim-able modern autos are pretty nice things. I have no idea if the new Browning A5 Sw16 will work out and I'm pretty sure it won't be a soft shooter, but a nice light, fit-adjustable auto 16 could be a useful and enjoyable little grouse and bunny "chopper" to borrow a Frank Woolner term. if not, so what. Life's short, have a little fun rather than thinking up every reason not to.

Here's a auto pet peeve of mine. Why do so many purists assume you shoot autos for sheer firepower? I could happily hunt the rest of my life with only two rounds in my Rem. 11. I usually only need one, and never three.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:49 am  Reply with quote

[quote="Dave Erickson"
Here's a auto pet peeve of mine. Why do so many purists assume you shoot autos for sheer firepower? I could happily hunt the rest of my life with only two rounds in my Rem. 11. I usually only need one, and never three.[/quote]

I killed a triple this last time out on dove , I needed all three . There has been more than one time I needed all three just for one . And a lot times I could have used more.
double vision
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:00 am  Reply with quote

fn16ga wrote:
[quote="Dave Erickson"
Here's a auto pet peeve of mine. Why do so many purists assume you shoot autos for sheer firepower? I could happily hunt the rest of my life with only two rounds in my Rem. 11. I usually only need one, and never three.

I killed a triple this last time out on dove , I needed all three . There has been more than one time I needed all three just for one . And a lot times I could have used more.[/quote]

I get that. I don't hunt doves, but I do enjoy duck hunting and that 3rd shot can be useful if you cripple a bird on shot two.
double vision
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:00 am  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:
fn16ga wrote:
[quote="Dave Erickson"

I killed a triple this last time out on dove , I needed all three . There has been more than one time I needed all three just for one . And a lot times I could have used more.

I get that. I don't hunt doves, but I do enjoy duck hunting and that 3rd shot can be useful if you cripple a bird on shot two.
tramroad28
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:45 am  Reply with quote

Gene Hill wrote a column explaining why he liked the third shot.....looking to a reality beyond imagination or to a preference beyond imitation is but one reason many miss the feller's words today.
The answer to "why" lies in the crying need many have to both imagine and imitate when going afield and in how different than ME....always needs poked with a sharp stob.
coryj
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:18 am  Reply with quote

The 58 is a sweet gun that is underrated in my opinion.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:43 pm  Reply with quote

I agree. The Remington Model 58 is a much overlooked gas operated autoloader. The reported feeding and ejecting problems tended to stem from the available loads of the times. The Model 58 gas operating system was designed around the then new commercial target and hunting loads with plastic hulls and one piece plastic wads. It handled these loads very well. It did not do as well with older type hunting loads w/ rolled wax paper hulls and/or solid wads. Apparently, these older style loads tended to foul the internal designed gas operating system more which required more frequent cleaning--something the majority of hunters were not used to doing w/ their recoil operated repeaters until after the season (if then). The feeding problems were exacerbated by loads w/ swollen or misshapen hulls. Since hunters tended to carry older loads season after season until they were used up, the problems were unfairly blamed on the guns--something we've all seen. Just how it is.

The reported cycling problems continued to plague the Model 58 until Remington finally redesigned the internal gas operating system to an external one which was less subject to fouling and was easier to clean and service. The newly redesigned guns were reportedly better able to compensate for various pressures and velocities as well.

The new gun was (and is) the Model 1100 which is my personal choice as the best overall gas operated repeater ever. I've happily owned and shot a bunch of 12 ga and a couple of LT20 gauge versions over the last 40 years w/o any problems or concerns. They just keep on keeping on w/ a minimum of care. What more could I ask for (I also invariably choose the pre-mid 1990's Model 1100's made before Remington el cheapoed the gas ring system design all to hell).

Too bad Remington dropped the ball on the 16 gauge version by making it heavier and heavier over the years. I'd have snapped one up long ago except that the older VR models are rather scarce and the newer ones are ponderously heavy and poorly balanced. I guess a lighter trimmer 16 ga version is never gonna happen. Oh well. I still have my 16 gauge Model 37 and BPS repeaters to keep me happy. They is plenty good enough for me. Very Happy
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:08 am  Reply with quote

on the 3 shot thing ... 1st trip to the Rez , we found a hot spot . Hunkered down in the grass acrossed a road , the birds started peeling out one at a time . Perfect skeet2 incomers . M12 . 1st 2 birds DOWN ! 2nd shell was a one in a thousand full length shell - GUN JAM . GOOD ONE !! 4 more birds passed right over head till I sacrificed my finger and got the shell out . Limit is 5 . Upon arrival home started looking for a REM .Just because they ALWAY can handle shell lengths . Got the 48 sportsman - can handle 5 shells ... Moral - I like my doubles , like my M12's , BUT , after a 27hr drive by myself and 1200 buck vacation , if I have the opp to drop my 5 birds in one get-go , I'm in !!!

smashdn
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:48 am  Reply with quote

Agree on the 58 with most everything posted thus far. the only issues I have had with it cycling have been when I have really tightened down the mag cap cuasing the gas vent holes in the barrel to not align with those in the mag tub area. That turned it into a single shot.

I always run mine on the heavy setting and have never had it not cycle save for when I had the issue above.

Smooth handling, scaled gas autoloader. What is not to like?