16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Wax Slugs
GWP
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:59 pm  Reply with quote

I have seen some YouTube vids of people taking the top off of a bird shot shotshell and pouring wax in it to make a slug. Anyone ever do this? I would think if you poured some of the lead off so the weight was the same it would be Ok, but I am not going to experiment with it! I am curious though. They looked like they shot well and were fairly accurate. Thoughts?
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:30 pm  Reply with quote

My dad would tell of a fellow he knew that lived in the woods during and after WWII. Ammunition was VERY scarce. All he had was a 12 ga and some birdshot. so for deer he take his pocketknife and cut a circle around the hull (paper of course) in the area above the powder but below the shot. He'd cut clear through to the wad in parts, but left enough paper to hold the thing together in about four spots. the idea was that when he shot, the shot and paper that enclosed it remained in a bunch as it flew toward the target. It was never patterned that I know of, but dad said when the guy used the modified shotshells for deer that they were very deadly out to about 25 yards.
popplecop
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:30 pm  Reply with quote

Before you try any of these things, check on the legality of it. Illegal in Wisconsin for hunting, as I remember possession of them while hunting was illegal. Also a great way to make the end of a full choke barrel look like a banana peel. Lot of folk lore connected with these shells.

tramroad28
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:42 pm  Reply with quote

It's a bad idea.
Same with Still shooters greasing shot loads.
Still, some will roll dem dice.
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:09 pm  Reply with quote

American meet, I have seen this done. The only way I would do it is if my life depended on it. Otherwise not sporting at all.
GWP
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:13 am  Reply with quote

The cut shotshell story reminded me of some loading I did with a very old can of 700X I picked up. I used a medium load out of the book and only fired a few of the ones I loaded at the range to test them. First one 'foofed'. The next one shot ok. Next 'foofed'. The last one I shot HAMMERED my shoulder and sounded like a big bore rifle. When I took the hull out half of it was gone. They were hand loaded one at a time so I know I did not have a double load. The rest of that powder was used in the garden.