16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  R16 Wad?
grouser47
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:11 pm  Reply with quote

Tried the R16 with the Win CF, 19grns Unique with 1 oz load. unsuccessful crimp -- very concave to the point that the pellets can fall out -- are you folks using a filler?

double vision
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:25 pm  Reply with quote

MaximumSmoke wrote:
Dave, et al,

I've tried a few different loads with the RGL and the R16, and for 1 ouncers, settled on 19 gr. Unique lit by a Win 209. The fit is great. A good load for progressive reloading presses, as there isn't a lot of adverse wad springback to contend with. My log shows the load is listed in the 2000 Alliant Powder guide using the WAA16, and tests done by the Reloading Group showed performance with the R16/ SP16 were close equivalents to using the WAA16, so I made the substitution. Alliant listed that load as 1165 fps and 8600 psi. That's my "target load" for now, but I'll probably go to the CB0078-16 for a 7/8 oz load in the future.

Sounds like a sweet load, Tony. Thanks!
putz463
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:20 am  Reply with quote

rudolph31 wrote:

Care to share your SP16 recipe?

GAUGE: 16
Lead Shot 1 oz.
ManufacturerIMR
PowderPB
PrimerRem. 209P
WadRem. SP16
Maximum Load
Grains20.0
Pressure10,700 PSI
Velocity (ft/s)1,250[/quote]

Thanks, I'll give it a shot when through all my Herco.

jim18611865
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:41 am  Reply with quote

Would you guys think there would be enough interest in approaching Remington (or Winchester), and having them run a million or so STS (AA) type hulls in 16 ga?
For me, wads are less important without a really good hull to stick them in.
rudolph31
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:21 am  Reply with quote

putz463 wrote:
rudolph31 wrote:

Care to share your SP16 recipe?

GAUGE: 16
Lead Shot 1 oz.
ManufacturerIMR
PowderPB
PrimerRem. 209P
WadRem. SP16
Maximum Load
Grains20.0
Pressure10,700 PSI
Velocity (ft/s)1,250

Thanks, I'll give it a shot when through all my Herco.[/quote]

You're welcome. That load came from Lynman's and is also on the Hodgdon website. I also use it to load shells cut down to 65mm with .9oz.of shot or .75oz. and an X-Stream Spreader. No published data on that one though -- someone will be calling me a Rebel I'm sure.
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:35 am  Reply with quote

When I saw this post it reminded me of.......

I know I originally said that I wasn't going to miss PB & SR7625.

Well........I lied, damn I wish I had them back, especially the SR7625!!!! That stuff made the sweetest 16 Gauge 1 oz. loads!!!

pudelpointer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:22 am  Reply with quote

Grouser47 the CF hull is the one piece hull from the 80's your probably using the Win-Cheditte hull. For that hull use 21gr. Unique and an SG16 wad. The CF hull with 19 gr of Unique and an R-16 wad crimps perfectly. Are your Win hulls 8 point crimp and smooth?
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:56 am  Reply with quote

grouser47 wrote:
Tried the R16 with the Win CF, 19grns Unique with 1 oz load. unsuccessful crimp -- very concave to the point that the pellets can fall out -- are you folks using a filler?

From pudelpointer, "Grouser47 the CF hull is the one piece hull from the 80's your probably using the Win-Cheditte hull. For that hull use 21gr. Unique and an SG16 wad. The CF hull with 19 gr of Unique and an R-16 wad crimps perfectly. Are your Win hulls 8 point crimp and smooth?"

Yup. Being a 1st generation design and having a smaller diameter, neither the the R16 or SP16 wads are the best choice in Cheddite type hulls. Powder migration and weak sounding loads are almost a certainty unless steps are taken to restrict powder migration. Heavy seating pressure combined w/ a very firm crimp is one option. There are others which have proven to be somewhat controversial in the past, but I won't go into it to avoid another dispute.

I've used the SP16 wad in the past in Federal hulls for my 1-1/4 ounce loads, but I took the above recommended measures to prevent powder migration. However, Federal game load hull tubing can vary in plastic stiffness and quality from production lot lot to production lot. Some lots are too elastic, so obtaining firm crimps which stay put can be problematic. I've found the blue Fiocchi hulls to be better in this respect, and hull capacity is just about the same.
Chukarman
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:27 pm  Reply with quote

I load both W16 blue wads and R16 wads in WWAA CF hulls. The R16s seem to be a lower pressure wad. I use 7625 or WSF powders.

putz463
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:42 am  Reply with quote

Recobs has none left and no interest in more. Some great exchange regarding the R16 and recipes.

A truly wonderful forum, many thanks

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:54 pm  Reply with quote

Chukarman wrote:
I load both W16 blue wads and R16 wads in WWAA CF hulls. The R16s seem to be a lower pressure wad. I use 7625 or WSF powders.

They generally are right across the board. In almost every case, substituting an R16 wad for a WW16AA or CB clone will result in lower peak pressures if all else remains the same. Examining older reloading data from the late 1970's through the early 1990's shows this as well. Examining the wad base cups of each wad type shows why. The R16 wad base cup is rather shallow and flat. the WW16AA wad base cup is hemispherical. Remembering the Crysler hemi engine should help understand why.
Atepac
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:24 pm  Reply with quote

grouser47 wrote:

Check to make sure you are actually dropping an ounce of shot.... Had this problem and discovered that i wasnt. Silly mistake but even though the bar said it was an ounce it was closer to 7/8.