16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Non toxic duck loads
Brian G
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:18 pm  Reply with quote

Howdy guys and gals. Am new to the forum and am wondering what my options are for factory non toxic loads at the moment. Am shooting some classic doubles now but want to stock up on a few boxes of something. The only thing I can seem to find is heavy shot for $38.99 for a box of 10 and nice shot a bit cheaper but the shipping isn't good. Does anyone have any leads on anything?
fn16ga
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:28 am  Reply with quote

you try looking for some of these

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/rio-bismuth-shotshells-rbi164-gauge-1200-fps-bismuth-shot-rdbx-p-140338.html
Charlie16ga
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:26 am  Reply with quote

Brian,

welcome again! As Mark already pointed out these bismuth are much cheaper and still safe for older guns. You can save money (assuming your 16 gauge volume overall warrants it) and produce better patterns if you where to reload. Once you are reloading you can choose your own shot size and even other shot options not currently found in factory loads (ITX comes to mind).

02' Rem 870 Exp
53' Rem 870 Wing
53' Mar 90 DT
50' Mar 90 DT
47' Rem 31L
46' Win 12 (2)
33' Rem 31
Brian G
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:14 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I've looked for a box or 2 of rio and can't find any in stock. Only heavy metal and nice shot. Hopefully will be reloading some day but it's not in the cards now, 3 yr old, 1 yr old and another on the way plus cutting the roof off the garage next week for an addition means I'm a ways away from sitting down and learning to load my own. Prob just bite the bullet and order a couple boxes for the few days I'm able to duck hunt. Can always break out the benelli when the 16 shells are gone.
4setters
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:17 pm  Reply with quote

Factory steel loads (Rem Nitro, Fed) are available and a whole lot cheaper. Back in the day, I shot hundreds of ducks with 16 gauge factory steel (including Win 7/8 loads in CF hulls!) in the fabled green timber in Arkansas with my Citori. This experience has resulted in one major observation--factory steel 16 gauge is effective out to about 30 yards on big ducks. I have shot a few Hevi-Shots, Classic Doubles, bismuth, etc, at both pheasants and ducks, but not enough to effectively evaluate. However, there is no doubt in my mind that these loads are capable of killing ducks at much greater yardage. So. . . . evaluate your situation and go from there. If you're shooting ducks over a pond bank, steel might be all you need; if you're stalking the marsh, the premium stuff may be the ticket.

1955 Browning Auto-5 Mod
1940 Ithaca NID M/F
1959 Beretta Silver Hawk
Ranger 103-II M/F
Browning A-5 Sweet 16
Browning Citori Invector
Rem 870 Remchoke
Brewster11
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:22 pm  Reply with quote

Brian,

When you start reloading, give ITX a try. Using a 16ga with ITX, I can knock down tall greenheads like I could back in the day when we used lead shot for ducks (yes I know that kind of dates me).

Good Luck,

B.
Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:57 am  Reply with quote

fn16ga wrote:
you try looking for some of these

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/rio-bismuth-shotshells-rbi164-gauge-1200-fps-bismuth-shot-rdbx-p-140338.html
Just joined the back order. That's a deal! Reno

JPM98VMI
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:24 pm  Reply with quote

Here is a tool to use:

http://ammoseek.com/ammo/16-gauge/HEVI-Shot-shotgun

Take note, I've drilled down to only list Hevi-Shot as the only manufacturer and listed in order in price / per round. You'll have to take into account shipping costs as well.

Returning to the basic 16 gauge search will reveal the total of what's available by mail order, or pick-up if you live near one of the vendors.

1947 Browning Automatic-5 (stealth Sweet 16) - ventilated Poly-Choke
1937-42 Savage 430
kb
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:32 am  Reply with quote

Brian,

I have some Hevi-Shot Classic Doubles in both 16ga and 20ga for sale. Presently I am asking $25 for a box of ten rounds (this is the way H-S packaged them). Both gauges are in #6 shot. I pay shipping costs.

Another Hevi-Shot load I have in 20ga is their Hevi-Shot Pheasant. Unlike those above, this load is 7/8 oz (as opposed to 1 oz) and should only be used in barrels which are safe for steel (even though this is not a steel load). It too is in #6 shot, but the cost for a ten round box is only $20.

If you are interested, or have any questions, feel free to reach me at this email address: kbukovich@gmail.com

Sincerely,
Keith in MI
smashdn
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:10 pm  Reply with quote

I shot Rio an email a week or so ago. I was told they are experiencing production issues with the Bismuth 16ga loads. The response did not go into detail about what kind of issues or when they would be resolved.

The response did link me to able ammo as a source for them when they were back in production.