16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Winchester Model 12
Paul Dwight
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 12:20 pm  Reply with quote

There has been several lively discussions regarding Model 12s on this site. I've read all of the postings and was intrigued by the possibility of owning an old 16 Model 12. I'm not good with a pump gun and that is why I've only owned and shot SXS, O/U, and autoloaders. However, today I purchased a 16 gauge Model 12 Skeet gun. The serial # is 1048761 which tells me it was made in 1946. It is stamped "Skeet" just below the serial number on the underside of the receiver. The wood is excellent with a nice figure. The bluing is in good shape with just a little wear on the bottom of the receiver. About It has a target style forearm. The checkering isn't sharp anymore but it is still in good shape. The only thing wrong is the Lyman choke device attached to the end of the 26 in barrel. I paid $350 for the gun, plus tax and a background check. The gun came out of an estate in Ringold, GA. There are several 16s remaining for sale from the estate. They include another 16 gauge model 12, a Remington Model 48, a Remington Model 58, and a couple of FOX B (Savage) SXS. Feel free to contact me if you are interested in one of these guns and I'll do what I can to hook you up. So now my 16 gauge collection includes:
- Merkel 2016
- Browning Citori Superlite
- Browning Citori Lightning
- Browning D.U. A5
- Winchester Model 21
I still intend to use the Merkel as my main gun, but I'll sure be trying a little practice on the Skeet range with the Model 12.

Paul Dwight
Chattanooga
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 6:28 pm  Reply with quote

Paul: Congratulations on your newest 16 ga. acquisition; you have some nice 16's in your collection. I'd be interested in knowing more about the remaining 16 ga. Model 12 you did not buy, in terms of choke, barrel length, condition, rib or no, etc. Thanks !

Paul Dwight
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 8:41 am  Reply with quote

Wolfchief,
Thanks for your kind comments. The other Model 12 16 gauge has a serial # of 666046, 26 in Full choke plain barrel marked 2 3/4. It is in good condition with the old style uncapped semi-pistol grip stock. They are asking $350 but would take $275 - $300.
Let me know if you want it.
They also have a 16 gauge Elgin SXS with sideplates that looks like new. It is case-hardened, double triggers, 26 in barrels for $850.
Paul Dwight
Scolari
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 1:46 pm  Reply with quote

Paul, I think you will enjoy your "new" pump gun. I had a model 12 in 16 ga once upon a time. It was a slick gun. I understand that the 16 was built on a 20 ga frame. I had a couple problems with the gun. The safety is in the front of the trigger. I couldn't get used to it for quick shots. I was always looking for the safety in the back of the trigger. I missed a lot of birds.
The gun just didn't seem to fit. When I put it to my shoulder, the barell was always slanted up. I like to look straight down the barell. I gave the gun to my brother-in-law. He still shoots it.
That was the last pump gun I had for a long time until a few years ago. I bought an Ithica 37 in 16 gauge. I really like to shoot it now though I struggled for a while. It was a challange. Somehow I have managed to remember to pump it everytime I pull the trigger. A pump gun is no longer a problem to shoot. I like to shoot crazzy quail with it. I can shuck shells in it so fast, I rarely miss a clay bird. Enjoy!
Mattkcc
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 10:49 pm  Reply with quote

I'd like a 16ga Model 12 but I already have a Model 37 Featherlite. I think one pump is enough but you can never have to many doubles. Think I'll keep saving for a Sterlingworth.
Parker Trojan
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:22 pm  Reply with quote

mattkcc: Don't wait too long to acquire that classic double; prices, like California houses, keep going up and up, especially in the smaller gauges.You can still get guns like an L.C.Smith 12ga for $800{ I have thousands of clays, pheasant and turkeys loads through mine}but a nice double in 16 or 20 ga will cost 2 or 3 times that much.Lefever Nitro Specials are still reasonably priced and although they're plain, they're very reliable. If for some reason I had to get rid of all my guns except one, I would keep my Parker Trojan 16ga. Very Happy
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:00 am  Reply with quote

Its almost heartening to see the demand for classic 16 SXS go up. Even 5 years ago, nobody wanted them. A fellow could buy a 16 for substantially less than any other gauge. They would languish on the racks. Now they are the hot item. I wonder how long this trend will last. Unless we can enlist the backing of the big ammo companies, it won't. We do have better hunting loads. however, we need more light 3/4 to 7/8 oz. loads for practice and informal clay shooting. My dream would be to have the NSSA reinstate the gauge as an alternative to 20 ga. with 7/8 oz. loads. Then we'd see some movement in the industry. And why not, what is the real difference if the shells for both gauges are restricted to a specific shot weight. The NSSCA should jump in here too. Why the hell not. It would be good all around and would give everyone a shot of momentum.