16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  The New A5 16
Brewster11
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:21 pm  Reply with quote

Recoil?

In almost a half century of hunting critters of all stripes with every type of gun imaginable, I can't ever recall noticeable recoil, even once, when the quarry is over the barrel. That welcome thump on the shoulder just tells me that I managed to successfully light one off and a round is on its way. And that includes a 5 3/4 lb 12 ga SxS with 1 1/4 oz pheasant loads.

I suppose that merely illustrates the power of concentration, or maybe just adrenaline.

But almost the opposite is true for me for targets. My cheekbone still smarts fom one 12 ga. Magnum round through a H&R single 36 years back. Recoil is my enemy with targets. I dread the prospect of a round of skeet with that 12 ga SxS.

On foot in the field, my gun can't be light enough. In blind, stand, or pit, weight doesn't matter to me, but I like a long barrel for pass shooting.

I guess I'm starting to talk myself into that new Browning 16.

Brewster
ermadear55
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:37 pm  Reply with quote

Wow, I have been dreaming of a Sweet Sixteen ever since my son brought his new Inertia A5 home. He is a Benelli diehard and the only 16 he owns is the BPS. He prefers autos so he may go for one of these too with time. I can't wait to get my hands on one. This simply has to be a great thing.
Beowulf
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:57 pm  Reply with quote

A disclaimer. I've never owned a 16 ga A5. I did have a 12 ga A5 back in the 80's. I liked it. Did a lot of goose hunting then so when I had to switch to steel shot, the 2 3/4 inch shells just didn't do it and I traded it in on a BPS 12 which had a 3 inch chamber. I now do all my shotgun hunting with my Stevens 16 ga shotguns.
When I first heard about the new A5 Sweet 16, I thought that was a good idea. But after seeing pictures of one, I'm disappointed: for my tastes, it's too jazzed up. Just like the Cynergy. Why couldn't they keep the checkering pattern closer to the original? Why couldn't they make the recoil pad follow the contour of the stock? Why can't the bottom of the trigger guard be parallel to the barrel instead of sloping down at the front? Maybe some of you understand what I'm saying. I'm sure there will be plenty of people who like it, but not me. I guess it is good, however, that Browning is keeping a 16 ga in the auto category.
ermadear55
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:22 pm  Reply with quote

I have a 1958 Belgium Sweet Sixteen and I think it is much prettier than this new A5 inertia gun. But I am excited to own an inertia model so my son quits telling me to stop living in the dark ages (which I do in most areas of my life, my newest wheels are 24 years old this year). And I think it was pretty cool to do it in the year 16. I guess different things excite us all. Remember, I love shuckers and collect hardware store guns Smile. My favorite new song is Mr. Misunderstood Rolling Eyes but it sure looks like Browning understands most of us and I appreciate that very much. I put my money down at the General Store today and am waiting as anxiously as I used to await the sound of air support in Iraq.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:31 pm  Reply with quote

This gun is just begging for a straight grip or possibly round knob conversion. Not too difficult, just strip the finish, re-shape, re-checker, and re-finish....

I'm still intrigued by this gun, mostly because it is a true sixteen, built on a scaled frame, at under 6 lbs. I've never been an auto guy, but you have to be impressed by this effort and give credit where credit is due. We keep clamoring for guns like this, and here it is, finally! Well done Browning, well done. Exclamation

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Beagleman
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:14 pm  Reply with quote

Mark, like you, I am intrigued and very curious about this gun due to the weight and the receiver size. IF it had ROUND KNOB, I would be standing in line with money in hand anticipating its arrival! No real practical reason for round knob preference, just general aesthetics.

Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:15 am  Reply with quote

Who knows maybe in time Browning will make a few different versions of the A5 in 16 gauge.

Scolari
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:47 am  Reply with quote

It is nice to finally see a modern 16 gauge automatic. I thought that might not happen in my life time. Am I going to get one? Probably not. I'm at a point in life where I do very little hunting, at least the long walking type. My only disappointment with this gun is that it is not a 3 inch chamber gun. I know that a lot of members feel that the 16 should always remain chambered as 2/34 inch. But, I think that's what has held it back. Sure, the 1 1/8 ounce lead load is plenty for pheasants and it was for ducks when you could use lead. I even used it for goose hunting at one time. But times have changed. All of the public hunting areas where I live require the use of non toxic shot. The 16 gauge is at a great disadvantage there. I tried it and wasn't happy with the meager performance. At present, there are only two companies that make steel shot for the 16 and only in 2's and 4's. Try dove hunting with that. I think the 16 needs to be chambered in 3 inch if it is going to compete for its market share. The 16 is the only gauge out there not chambered for some thing longer than 2/34 inch. Even the little 28 ga is being extended this year. Why not the 16. If you want to compete in the modern world, you have to make it modern. Maybe Browning or Benelli will make one next year. Then I will buy one. Until then, I'll just use the old one I have.
4setters
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:05 pm  Reply with quote

For what its worth, I was by one of the oldest gun shops in Little Rock today and asked one of the owners if he planned to order any new Sweet 16s or if I would have to special order one from him. He told me that he had ordered ten of them about three weeks ago, and was told by Browning that it would probably be this summer before they arrived. My name is now attached to one of them.

I really look forward to pheasant hunting with this gun, as my Auto 5 is my favorite pheasant gun of the pack listed below (with the Ranger running a close second). Perhaps it will have some competition for the honor next fall. With the weight difference and choke variations the new A-5 may also work very well for other upland birds.

Well, you guys know that I've ordered one now; guess its time to break the news to the wife. Shocked

1955 Browning Auto-5 Mod
1940 Ithaca NID M/F
1959 Beretta Silver Hawk
Ranger 103-II M/F
Browning A-5 Sweet 16
Browning Citori Invector
Rem 870 Remchoke
JPM98VMI
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:53 am  Reply with quote

If you're really itching to get the jump on one... maybe... you can sign up for the "Stock Watch" feature on Davidson's

https://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/Default.aspx?item=0118005004&18005004&mfg=All&mdl=All&cat=All&type=All&cal=16+Gauge&fin=&sit=&zipcode=24523

That link is for the 28" version. If you click "Other Variations" a pop-up will give you a list to choose from and you can pick the 26".

For those that are not familiar, Davidson's offers this online service as a way to order / purchase through your local FFL / LGS.

Cheers!
jpm

1947 Browning Automatic-5 (stealth Sweet 16) - ventilated Poly-Choke
1937-42 Savage 430
pbr streetgang
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:07 pm  Reply with quote

If a sweet 16 being brought back and sold In 2016 doesn't scream Madison Avenue Don Draper nostalgia marketing for you.......
bschraeder
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:34 pm  Reply with quote

I thought I'd want one really badly, but since I bought the citori 16 gauge white lightening and went hunting with it, I'm not sure I care about the A5. I'll keep the waterfowl version though. It's great in the blind
Savage16
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:49 pm  Reply with quote

At Ahlmans today, they say theie Browning rep is telling them mid summer delivery and they're asking $1495. Lots of powder too, except for the "dots".

bschraeder
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:44 pm  Reply with quote

bschraeder wrote:
I thought I'd want one really badly, but since I bought the citori 16 gauge white lightening and went hunting with it, I'm not sure I care about the A5. I'll keep the waterfowl version though. It's great in the blind

Funny but I've been thinking the same thing
skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:55 am  Reply with quote

Hello bschraeder

WELCOME on your first postings Smile
Please to have you on the site

Mike