16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Herters hulls
df
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:30 pm  Reply with quote

Can't beat the color of those Herters hulls.
I have loaded quite a few of them. My experience is the crimps start to split after about 3-4 loadings.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:02 pm  Reply with quote

3 to 4??? That's pretty good for promo grade hulls like Cheddites and Cheddite types. The hull mouths of latest batches of RGL hulls often split on the first firing. Getting two more loads out of RGL hulls can be a minor miracle. 3 to 4? I'd be happier than a pig in poop. Laughing
ImBillT
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:52 pm  Reply with quote

[quote="16gaugeguy"]3 to 4??? That's pretty good for promo grade hulls like Cheddites and Cheddite types. The hull mouths of latest batches of RGL hulls often split on the first firing. Getting two more loads out of RGL hulls can be a minor miracle. 3 to 4? I'd be happier than a pig in poop. Laughing[/quote]

I've always heard that type thing about Cheddites. I've also heard that the old Estate hulls were Cheddites. Well, those euro trash hulls suck alright. Then I got some brand new Cheddites from BPI. They are not the same hulls as the old Estate, Suprema, and other promotional hulls. They were in fact quite good for a non-compression formed hull. The Herters hulls are also very much like the Cheddites from BPI. They ain't not AA, but they are at least as good as the old Remington hulls, if not better. They are close to the Federals.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:26 pm  Reply with quote

3-4? Dang, its good that I have a 1000! Now if only I had that many WW cf's! I'm only 700 short of the mark.
So far my Herter's are loading up as nicely as can be expected for a straight wall case but I would rather have Rem's if they weren't so short lived. Almost any wad and powder combo will seal up in those things. Some of my older Federals resize very hard and all have been fired in the same gun or I would like them better.
As it is, when shooting a 16 ga. take any and all hulls you can get ahold of!

Griffon
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:11 am  Reply with quote

Question of the day....Bought some primed Cheddite hulls from BPI and have some Herters 16ga. Is the plastic thickness the same? Seems like the ones from BPI are loading longer, maybe just wishful thinking.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:13 am  Reply with quote

For what it is worth I just measured the thickness at the crimp end of a couple once-fired Cheddite's, one Herter's and one Winchester. While the orange hull looked thicker, it wasn't. Both hulls had essentially identical wall thickness averages.
A well documented visual illusion is that "warm" colors appear to advance while "cool" hues tend to recede. This is of course all mental perception, but I was almost certain that the orange hull was a little thicker. Calipers revealed the truth that it was not.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:28 am  Reply with quote

For what it is worth I just measured the thickness at the crimp end of a couple once-fired Cheddite's, one Herter's and one Winchester. While the orange hull looked thicker, it wasn't. Both hulls had essentially identical wall thickness averages.
A well documented visual illusion is that "warm" colors appear to advance while "cool" hues tend to recede. This is of course all mental perception, but I was almost certain that the orange hull was a little thicker. Calipers revealed the truth that it was not.

Griffon
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:55 pm  Reply with quote

I knew somebody would have a set of calipers. Thanks
You did so well on that one here's part two. Could there be differences in the plastic between the blue Cheddite and the purple Herters/ Cheddite?
See what a day of crummy weather can lead to.

kgb
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:48 pm  Reply with quote

Our crummy weather led to shoveling and chipping of ice, and I wouldn't be surprised to learn there's a difference in the plastic between the Herter's and other Cheddite hulls. I've crushed more of the purple hulls--they buckle at the crush section of the wads. Seem to be weaker there, but I have no absolute proof.