16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Shooting a hammer gun
JonP
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:57 am  Reply with quote

So how complicated is it shooting a hammer double. Do you cock as you mount the gun? hunt with the gun open? How much practice did it take?
skeettx
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:04 pm  Reply with quote

I like hammer guns and each one is different.
My current favorite is a Bernardelli Brescia.

For dove hunting I do one thing
For quail hunting with dogs I do another
For duck hunting another
ETC, ETC

Mike

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:20 pm  Reply with quote

First of all, Right-O SkeetTX. More particularly, it depends on the hammers -- spacing and height/angles of the spurs. Depends on your thumb and hand strength, etc, etc. I know some fellows can cock both hammers on the mount. I can't with my guns. I shot with one fellow (right handed) who cocked the right barrel on the mount, and then the left on a sort of slight un-mount before his second shot. I have tried keeping the hammers cocked and the breech open, closing it on the mount -- lost a few shells doing that! I think that might work well in open conditions, but it didn't work so well for me walking in brambly or uneven circumstances. Consequently, I actually have little upland experience with hammer guns; more with waterfowling, which can provide more time for a cocking routine (not always). Best of luck. Hammer guns can be very svelte and romantic in the hands.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:11 pm  Reply with quote

Hammer guns are ideal for hunting behind a pointing dog. Ideally, no need to cock the hammers until the dog is on point. Otherwise, it does indeed depend on each gun's characteristics to determine if the hammers can be cocked on the flush, etc. Some hammers require a lot of effort to pull back and have hammers that are far apart. Others (usually 16ga and smaller bore guns), the opposite. Once you get hooked on them, they are quite addicting. They also happen to be quite beautiful imho.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Savage16
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:26 am  Reply with quote

Like Mike and UDF said, it depends-dog type and what/where you are hunting. My only hammer gun is a very small frame 28ga H&R double from 1909. Even being a very small gun, I have small hands so the cocking both hammers at flush doesn't work to well and I feel a risk of slipping one of the hammers. The gun also has very open chokes so I mainly go after woodcock with it. Therefore I've gone to the open and loaded most of the time. After 12 years with my cocker, I can tell when she's really hot and will position myself as open in the cover and close the gun and wait for the flush. pointing dog people that I've hunted with carry their modern guns the same way. To me, using a hammer gun necessitates 2 things. You must know the safety issues of your particular gun and then be willing to accept the fact that you may not ALWAYS be able to get off 2 shots with it. Just part of the "romance" of hammered doubles.

simcgunner
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:15 pm  Reply with quote

It may be necessary to carry the hammergun uncocked . My WW1 era gun has no safety. if I carry it open I lose ammo when going through the bush. carrying it cocked is a good way to shoot your dog upon a fall. Rebounding hammers uncocked. and usually on a strap is how I feel safe
DenBruce
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:46 pm  Reply with quote

English hammer guns have become popular in America and once exported they seldom return to the country of their creation..

Last edited by DenBruce on Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Beagleman
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:41 pm  Reply with quote

I have one that I use rabbit hunting that came to me by way of Uncle Dan Fan. It's a Belgian guild gun in16ga. and I love it! Yes it takes a little getting used to. Mine can only be opened if it is half cocked or fully cocked. It is definitely a conversation piece and an interesting design. Uncle Dan Fan knows more about my gun than I do! I just shoot them, clean them, then repeat.

slowpokebill
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:07 am  Reply with quote

It depends is the right answer. What you do will depend on the gun along with where and what you are hunting.

For sure there will be times when you find no matter how hard you pull the trigger the gun won't go bang.It will be because you forgot to cock the hammers. This will happen often when the doves are really flying.
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:10 am  Reply with quote

Here is how I deal with hammer guns.

I hold them and admire them.........hand them to someone else when it's time to shoot. Cool

I have enough problems with single trigger shotguns!

jswanson
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:41 pm  Reply with quote

[quote="Dogchaser37"]Here is how I deal with hammer guns.

I hold them and admire them.........hand them to someone else when it's time to shoot. Cool

I have enough problems with single trigger shotguns![/quot

Single Trigger Shotguns??? Oh. I see all semi autos or Pumps. Laughing

Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:46 pm  Reply with quote

O/U's too

I mostly shoot autoloaders, simple easy, no thought involved!!! Laughing Cool

wellshooter
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:30 pm  Reply with quote

My Valet (loader) should hand me a loaded shotgun with the hammers cocked. After I shoot I hand it back to him for a recharge while he hands me my other gun loaded and cocked. I hope to do enough shooting to keep him very busy.

Oh wait! We are in the 21st Century now and I have no Valet. Ditch the hammer gun.

16 ga. Citori White Lightning
3- 16 ga. Remington M 31's
16 ga. Ithaca M 37 Featherlight
oldman
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:09 am  Reply with quote

I hunt with hammer guns a lot. Carry it hammers down. Cock both when dog is on point. Flushing birds cock one then cock the other after first shot. Almost as fast as a pump gun.
JNW
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:45 pm  Reply with quote

I shot my hammer gun today on skeet. Always draws positive comments at the gun club. With the wind chill it felt like 0F, but those hammers are fun to pull back no matter what the weather. We are going to try and shoot some game farm birds over pointing dogs with hammer guns yet this year - should be fun.
Jeff