16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Cheddite Hulls - Problems?
gjw
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:44 am  Reply with quote

Hi all, I noticed that a few of the folks here have had problems loading virgin Cheddite hulls. I myself have not had any problems with the ones I've loaded. I just finished loading 7 boxes of hunting loads on my MEC Sizemaster (16ga of course) and here's the method I use. Tried that BPI tool (worthless), so all I've done is on the pre crimp hold it down of the hull for 10 seconds or so, go to the crimp station and do the same. The problem I encountered is taper on the finished shell. I just lowered the cam all the way down and re-crimped the shell, got a nice taper that will fit even a tight chamber. I do get a bit of a swirl, but not bad. In fact I don't mind some swirl. I've rechecked the shells for any pouched crimps, never had any.

Don't know if this will help anyone having problems with Cheddites, this method works for me.

Best!

Greg

jswanson
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:37 am  Reply with quote

gjw

It would be interesting to see if the hull longevity is negatively impacted buy the bit of swirl. Most likely not or very difficult to quantify. But it would be interesting to see if there was an impact.

Just a thought.

Joe

hoashooter
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:07 pm  Reply with quote

Factory Fed's and Chedd's often have a slight swirl ---nothing to worry about.
Griffon
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:13 pm  Reply with quote

Loaded quite a few new/primed cheddites on a mec grabber using the 8 pt crimp with no issues. I'm getting 5-6 loads out of a hull then they get cut down to 2 1/2.

Alan_Hicks
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:39 pm  Reply with quote

Don't want to hijack a thread, but I just loaded my first box of 16ga using new Cheddite hulls on an MEC Sizemaster with similar results. After making adjustments for crimp depth I had a very slight swirl.

I am currently using a 6-fold crimp. What are the differences (besides the obvious number of folds) between using a 6-fold and an 8-fold crimp? Does the 8-fold use more of the hull for the crimp or less or about the same?

I'm basically just now beginning to experiment with shotshell reloading (this was the first time using a press and not an old Lee Loader and a hammer from the 60s) for my new-to-the-family Sweet Sixteen (original, not the bastardization they're makin' now). Since I'm stuck with a single barrel and a fixed (modified) choke, I'm going to try a bunch of different loads and pattern them to find what works best for rabbits, dove, quail, and skeet.
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:03 pm  Reply with quote

If you are getting a swirl with reloads on a MEC machine, it is because the crimp starter is down too far or you have way to much cam dialed in.

On both a Sizemaster and a 9000G my cam is set almost exactly in the center of its travel and that does put a nice radius on a 2 3/4" Cheddite reload, regardless of wad or payload used.

Dave In AZ
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:22 am  Reply with quote

I find that on new hulls the 6pt gives a better start with fewer "mashups". The 8 pt starter on a new hull, especially the plastic starters, don't give enough of an angle especially if you do it quick. The stiff hull plastic can just "dip" down across one of the ridges instead of fold, and then go straight-ish due to plastic memory... this results in mashed petals usually. When I switch to 6pt I don't have that problem with new hulls.

I'm using cheddite from BPI when I'm working with new hulls. I'm also using a pW375 (for 20ga new hulls); Mec 600jr for 16ga.