16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Lee Loader
jschultz
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:43 am  Reply with quote

On a previous thread, a poster mentioned using a Lee Loader. The Lee was my first set of tools for reloading shotgun shells and since then I have acquired 7 presses in gauges 28, 20, 16 and 12.
For the last 9 years all of my 16 Ga. hunting reloads have been assembled using the old Lee Loader. Am I the only dinosaur or do you use the Lee Loader?

goathoof
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:16 am  Reply with quote

I have one and will use it on occasion for fiber wads in plastic hulls. I do not use it for my brass hulls as you possibly do. I use a die set for my brass loads.
fred lauer
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:48 am  Reply with quote

I have 12, 16 and 20 gauge shotgun shell loaders. .222, 22/250 and 25-06 rifle loaders. They all work but there not for a man in a hurry.

hoashooter
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:58 am  Reply with quote

Kinda like mowing the lawn with a pair of scissors Laughing It'll get the job done---BUT------
jschultz
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:38 pm  Reply with quote

Unless I'm hunting huns, I usually have just a few rounds to reload after each hunt. My hunting loads take about 30 seconds per round to reload with the Lee Loader and I usually reload after each hunt. I have made two powder dippers for my favorite loads that cuts reloading time significantly.
jschultz
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:39 pm  Reply with quote

Unless I'm hunting huns, I usually have just a few rounds to reload after each hunt. My hunting loads take about 30 seconds per round to reload with the Lee Loader and I usually reload after each hunt. I have made two powder dippers for my favorite loads that cuts reloading time significantly.
Jagdhund
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:06 pm  Reply with quote

Don't use my 20, 16, or 12 (bought in 1971 upon my return from the Nam) to load shells as such anymore, but I find the shot dippers and crimp starters handy when loading a few loads for chronographing or patterning. It beats making changes to the MEC or Easy loaders.

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:44 pm  Reply with quote

got a 10 , 12 and 16 . 12 was beat into submission ! 16 is I believe unused . Discovered the 10 makes a perfect 16ga choke swage for a cut barrel - just did one of the 31's . (nothing religious around here !)

Jagdhund
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:01 pm  Reply with quote

16gaDavis wrote:
got a 10 , 12 and 16 . 12 was beat into submission ! 16 is I believe unused . Discovered the 10 makes a perfect 16ga choke swage for a cut barrel - just did one of the 31's . (nothing religious around here !)

I believe in the Army, we would have called that a "field expedient".

My start in reloading was with a Lee Loader in .222 when I was 14 or 15. I shot a lot of prairie dogs with my Lee Loader reloads in a Savage/Springfield 840.

By the way, I used to pick Lee Loaders up at gun shows for $5 - $10, but I guess they are collectibles now and go for much higher, even incomplete specifmens.

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:17 am  Reply with quote

Jag , I believe I have a 243 and a 30/40 Krag around here also . When Creekside went down ( Turnbulls dad) , (a major gun shop) , the guys formed satellite shops and a couple of the former employees shot at our nearby club . They had barns full of nick-nack stuff and we were always swapping stuff . They knew I did 16ga stuff and that's how I got the 16 . The others were all obtained when stuff was considered annoying junk stuff that needed to be gotten rid of !! CHEEP !!

Savage16
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:26 am  Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tDPrnM-Adw

Had never seen one of these used so found this you tube video. Guess what-its demonstrated on a 16 ga version!

jschultz
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:11 am  Reply with quote

Savage 16, thanks for the post. I was surprised as to how long it took him to reload a box of plastic shells. I timed myself once while loading 10 brass shells, averaging 30 seconds per load and that was using card and fiber wads. If I used 1- piece plastic wads, I might trim off 5-7 seconds per load. I didn't include the glue application or drying time.
He spent a lot of time with crimps, whereas with brass hulls, an OSC goes in quickly, as does the glue application if I use Fletch-Tight.
I use a 50 round loading block, but the video has got me thinking about adding a 10 round block to my travel loading box.
Jagdhund
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:38 pm  Reply with quote

16gaDavis wrote:
Jag , I believe I have a 243 and a 30/40 Krag around here also . When Creekside went down ( Turnbulls dad) , (a major gun shop) , the guys formed satellite shops and a couple of the former employees shot at our nearby club . They had barns full of nick-nack stuff and we were always swapping stuff . They knew I did 16ga stuff and that's how I got the 16 . The others were all obtained when stuff was considered annoying junk stuff that needed to be gotten rid of !! CHEEP !!

The Good Ole Days?!!

Jagdhund
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:51 pm  Reply with quote

I was disappointed when Lee bought out the new packaging for the Lee Loader with the separate dippers for shot. When I began loading shot shells using a Lee Loader, everything I needed to reload fit in a .50 cal. ammo can, except wads and shot. We were living in a trailer outside of Ft. Rucker, AL and space was at a premium. It sure helped with storage issues. In fact, I had three .50 cal. cans for reloading .222, .357/.38 and 12 ga. Life was simpler then. Smile

Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:36 am  Reply with quote

jschultz wrote:
...Am I the only dinosaur or do you use the Lee Loader?

I got one in 20ga recently b/c my 20g sxs has short chambers and the Lee Loader adapts well to that length. I especially like the way it makes a roll crimp. The roll crimps it makes in plastic hulls are better than the rotary Lyman type I've been using for 16.

I am looking for one in 16ga, in case anyone decides they want to shed their scaly dinosaur skin (I'm comfortable in mine) and come into the 21st century.