16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  DR-16 & Win 540 /HS-6
kiwicharlin
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:54 pm  Reply with quote

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has tried using Win 540 with a DR-16. I have got a bit of 540 around so was looking to see if I could burn some of it on the skeet range.

I put 22.5 gr under a DR-16 under 1oz of shot in a cheddite hull and it crimps nicely with just a hint of wad pressure. Obviously I'll need to get some pressure testing done before progressing further but just thought I'd check in here first to make sure I'm not heading off down a path someone else has already cut.

If any of you have trodden this path can you let me know what you found at the end ITO pressure and velocity.

I would also welcome appropriately caveated speculation if some of that is on offer.

If it's OK though, I'd prefer not to receive any lectures about the ills of assuming combinations will perform just because the fit in the hull because I am most certainly not assuming that. Just wanting to check no one else knows the outcome before I spend the money on testing it.

Cheers

Richard.
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:37 pm  Reply with quote

Since W540 is discontinued and DR16s are fairly new to the scene it isn't likely that there will be much data for their combined use. I have used W540 in the 16 ga but it was with WAA 16 and SP16 wads and with 1 1/8oz loads. A load that I used from an old Hodgdon manual shows WWCF hull, W209 primer, 26 gr HS6/W540, WAA16 wad for 1234fps and 10,300LUP.

There are a few variables here- different hull, load and wad, I would expect a load with 3.5 gr less powder and 1/8 oz less shot and a more spacious hull to result in less pressure- but as noted, it would need to be pressure checked prior to actual use.
mike campbell
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:23 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total
kiwicharlin
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:57 am  Reply with quote

Messers Meet and Campbell, thank you.

In looking at the data above, one thing that dawned on me is that it shows 571 in play amongst the 1oz loads. As I understand it, 571 is slower than 540. So I'm wondering: If a slower-than-540 powder will work in a 1oz load, maybe 540 will push 7/8oz along ok? Maybe a highish velocity 7/8oz load, if there was a use for such a thing.

Also, if I'm reading Mike correctly he's suggesting pitching for the edge of the envelope for the LOAD TO PRESSURE TEST with the idea being I can retreat from that a bit with charge and/or payload and reasonably expect only a reduction in pressure. (granted, inconsistent bangs if I come back too far). Makes sense. Hadn't thought of that approach.

My primary goal is a viable 540 + dr16 + 1oz + cheddite load. That seems like it should be doable. A 7/8 option would be a fringe benefit.

So my plan for a test load is to come up a bit from the 22.5gr I was going to try, and test instead at 25gr 540 under dr16 under 1oz in a cheddite hull. See what pressure and velocity that measures. Then, assuming that is inside 11,000psi I can reduce powder and or shot a bit for actuals loads to try shooting.

I am new to this. Does the above strategy seem OK to the experienced hands?

Cheers

Richard.
eng-pointer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:13 am  Reply with quote

This is close to what you have in mind so I thought they may help. I developed these loads several years ago. I still have about 8# of HS6 fortunately. Let me know what you come up with.

Cheddite 2 9/16" hull Cheddite 209 primer 540/ HS-6 23.0 gr SG16 wad
1 oz lead fold crimp 6900 psi 1138 fps Tested by Tom Armbrust

Cheddite 2 9/16" hull Cheddite 209 primer 540/ HS-6 25.0 gr SG16 wad
1 oz lead fold crimp 9600 psi 1261 fps Tested by Tom Armbrust

James

"My degree of optimism is negotiated daily" Bill Snyder, Former Head Football Coach, Kansas State University
mike campbell
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:12 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
kiwicharlin
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:15 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks guys, that’s great info and advice. Curiosity and caution will see me test before shooting anyway. I have a couple of other experimentals to test so will get the 540/DR16s done at the same time. It will be May or June. I will report back.

Meantime, I can’t help but reflect on how this sort of information exchange just did not happen 20 years ago. We all reminisce about the good old days. But aside from winding back to get more miles out of the clock, which is a different issue, would you really trade the advantages of today for those of yesteryear (over-the-counter AACF hulls anyone?). And for those of you answering in the affirmative, I bet one of the things you’d miss keenly would be the knowledge, comradery and downright decorum displayed in these threads at the tap and swipe of a screen. This is a special site.

Have a great Easter everyone.

Richard from New Zealand.