16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  shot velocity
john555
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:45 pm  Reply with quote

I have been shooting skeet all summer with my Sweet Sixteen, but now that the rains have set in, I want to use my Browning Feather. ( no bending over to pick up the hulls ) A while back there was a reload posted that went like this; 16 grain Green Dot
3/4 oz shot
CCI 209 primer
Black Remington Hull
Rem R16
2 28 gauge cards

I wonder if the originator or anyone else could provide the velocity of this load? I normally run my 1 oz loads at around 1150 which provides a nice pattern and works well on clay birds as well as upland birds.

Regards
John
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:20 am  Reply with quote

I found this load in my files

Rem Black Hull 2 ¾” 6 pt. crimp, ¾ oz. shot, Alliant Promo powder, 13.5 grains, Win 209 primer, SP-16 wad, with 28 ga, ½” fiber wad in shot cup, 1167 FPS @ 7600 PSI
john555
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:56 pm  Reply with quote

Dave

Thanks for the load information. However, what is Alliant Promo powder?
I checked all my listings for Alliant and Hercules and come up with nothing of that name.

Regards
John
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:49 am  Reply with quote

John, I honestly don't know. Never used the stuff. I think 16gg is a big Alliant powder guy. Maybe he can chime in with the answer. I hear alot of guys talk about it, so it most be available. Sorry.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:58 am  Reply with quote

I did come up with this3/4 ounce load with some help from the folks at Alliant. I'd stay with the 16 to 16.5 grains of Green Dot. Promo is a faster powder designed to burn very much like Red Dot.

Green Dot operates at a lower pressure. your velocity will be about 1200 FPS with the 16 grain load and 1250 with 16.5 grains if you want a slightly faster hunting load as well. Recoil will be very light with either. I'd not be too concerned with the added velocity. You will not notice any difference in lead or effect. The load pressure will be below 9500 PSI with either. Enjoy.
john555
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:34 pm  Reply with quote

16gg

Thanks for the information. I have a supply of Green Dot on hand and will try the loads thid weekend.

Regards
John
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:01 pm  Reply with quote

I'd like to know what you think of them. Just be sure to weigh out those first few powder drops. MEC bushings throw light. You might have to go up two sizes to get a proper drop. you'll want all of that 16 grain charge. Any less will be too low for a 3/4 ounce shot load and might cause bloopers. A tenth of a grain or two over is better than under. You can safely take the charge up to 17 grains with 3/4 ounces of shot, but you don't have to th get an effective velocity. I hold it at 16.5 for small birds and short work. If I need any more range than 25 yards, I go to at least 7/8 and the same charge of Green Dot or 1 ounce Unique loads.
john555
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:12 pm  Reply with quote

Good Evening 16 Gauge Guy

I have been meaning to get back to you on your loads but have been busy hunting pheasants. I loaded up two boxes and took them down to the skeet range last weekend. The loads are everything you promised. Nice light recoil ( Browning Feather ) and they break the birds just fine. The only thing I changed was to substitute a 1/4 cork spacer under the shot in place of the cards.
I am running low on R16 wads and was wondering if Ballistic SP 16 wads could de used in place?

Regards
John
birddog
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:50 am  Reply with quote

Morning John,
Go to graf and sons web site and look at the gualandi 1618 or 1621 wad. Both have similar lengths as the rem r16 which is longer through the column than the sp16 by rem. rem wads are of slight taper design and the gulandi's are straight, pressures usually a little higher. Good Luck
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:43 pm  Reply with quote

John, I would not use the Gualandi wads in the Remington hull. The fit is too tight. You will have a time seating them and probably will ruin the wad guide fingers very quickly too as well as ruin your hulls in a short time. Stick with Remington wads for Remington hulls. You can use three 28 ga. 1/8" thick card wads in the SP16 remington wad or one 1/4" fiber and one 1/8" thick card wad.

An altrnative is the 20 ga Federal 20S1 wads in a Remington 16 ga hull. they are just a tad small (.620" plus or minus .002") but will plump up on firing them to seal the hull and bore. They will work for 3/4 ounce of shot with one 28 ga. card wad. Everything else should be the same including the powder charge.

The best solution is get into the next R16 order from Recob's. Contact Kris there. He'll fix you up.

I'm not trying to pick a fight Bird Dog. I've tried the Gualandi 16 ga. wads and had nothing but headaches with them in Remington hulls. So have most everyone else. That is why a number of folks went to the largest diameter 20 ga. wads they could find for light loads in the 16 Remington hull. The newest Federal 20S1 wad is the biggest available. Some folks use the Gualandi 20 ga sport wad. I think the Federal wad is better for a couple of reasons and was using it with good results until I got my order of R16 wads through Recob's over a year ago now.

The longest B&P Z style 20 ga wads might also be good, but they are not presently available in the US.