16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Heavy metal?
jschultz
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:21 am  Reply with quote

Over on SW there has been a discussion on wearing protection while reloading and most of the comments made fun of the OP.

I have been reloading for over 55 years and 15 years ago I had a blood test that indicated heavy metal was in my blood. The cause may or may not have been related to reloading, but I could think of no other source of heavy metal and began taking precautions. I try not to touch the lead and I do wash my hands after reloading. No, I don't wear a mask, but my blood tests no longer indicate the presence of heavy metal.
If you have been reloading lead a long time, a blood test could be a good thing.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:02 am  Reply with quote

like JS , I have been reloading a LONG time - since 1970 . My BT's haven't showed any heavy metal that I know of ... However ... just empty a bag of shot into a pop container etc when there is a bright ray of sun coming thru a window , and you'll see the cloud . Have always felt it would be smart to run a vac to have the air filter at least some . Same goes with powder . On an adjacent note , dust explosions occur occasionally and have felt a reloading room could be the next big bang !!

AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:26 pm  Reply with quote

I thought this was going to be about Rock 'n Roll. but the laws of diffusion work with all substances even lead, so it is wise to take preventative measures.
Zrexxer
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:46 pm  Reply with quote

jschultz wrote:
Over on SW there has been a discussion on wearing protection while reloading and most of the comments made fun of the OP.
IMO anyone who laughs at someone over taking safety precautions while reloading is a fool who doesn't merit the time of day.

I'm an NRA certified reloading instructor and I teach safety as a work ethic. It's interwoven in everything my students learn and do, including lead exposure.

I have no time or patience for those who think safety is a waste of time.

DanLee
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:56 pm  Reply with quote

16gaDavis wrote:
empty a bag of shot into a pop container etc when there is a bright ray of sun coming thru a window , and you'll see the cloud

Unless the bag is old enough for the shot to be heavily oxidized, what you see is graphite. When I find a bag old enough to have oxidized, I melt it down and use it for cast bullets.
Dave In AZ
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:03 pm  Reply with quote

jschultz wrote:

I read that same thread, and believe jshultz is incorrect in his comprehension of folks replies. No one made fun of the OP. There is a difference between having a sense of humor, and making fun of someone-- if you can't accept the occasional bit of humor in life without getting your feathers ruffled, you in all probability DO NOT have a sense of humor.

That said, I enjoyed jshultz's posts, this one too, and he's convinced me to get a metals test included in my next physical, which I wouldn't have done without his post, so good on him! Thanks!

I would think that a lot of folks have read that thread and decided to make a few changes to improve their lead avoidance, including me. That's helpful to folks; it's STILL a funny thread, and if you've ever worked in Safety, you know that making a safety message entertaining instead of doom-and-gloom is ALSO helpful.

In fact, virtually everyone posted their personal responses accurately to the OP question of "face mask while reloading?", and the general thrust of the thread is that it's better to be safe than sorry. Many guys said "No mask", but probably came back several times to see what other funny pics might have been posted... and thus actually READ several good thoughts on the matter, and probably are being a bit more careful now.

Lots of people work in Safety; it's no reason or excuse to abdicate your sense of humor and refuse to have a chuckle now and then, or be offended if someone else does. As a guy who was a Safety Officer for over 20 years doing OSHA inspections in hazardous worksites and training/enforcing safety equipment use, and has written a lot about particulate safety and dust mitigation in woodworking, and has over $5,000 of dust mitigation equipment sitting in my garage right this very instant (money where your mouth is), I think I have at least as much right as anyone to have a valid opinion here...

When a guy makes a thread titled "Face Mask While Reloading?" and asks, "Washing hands asap after reloading or shooting is a given but what about wearing a face mask while reloading and filling bottles. If you do what do you use? "...
Well, that's just ripe fruit hanging there, and THIS is both appropriate, funny, and gets the Safety Conversation moving! Wink
Stay healthy, laughter is the best medicine Wink
Dave In AZ
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:14 pm  Reply with quote

Oh... and truth be told, I actually wore the dang filter mask and gloves above when I refilled the lead and powder tubes this week... What the heck, I wore the mask for 3 hours today cutting the grass at 90F, along with leather boots, gloves, long pants and long-sleeve shirt and hat. Allergic to grass a bit, so I always do, better than sniffling for days.

So popping it on for a bit of shot pouring is no big thing for me, and it was sitting right there from the pic Wink Feel free to make fun, I can take it.
Dave In AZ
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:30 pm  Reply with quote

16gaDavis wrote:
Have always felt it would be smart to run a vac to have the air filter at least some . Same goes with powder .

DanLee is right about the graphite dust.
That being said, if I could figure out how to get an overpressure airflow situation, or some suction near the machine that didn't affect my scale, I'd probably do it-- I already have a 5hp cyclonic vacuum dust collector with ducting and custom designed dust collection hoods running to 15 tools or so, and run it non-stop while wood-working. As well as overhead dust-filters on 8-hour timers to circulate and clean the air afterwards. Putting in a dust shroud/hood near the reloaders would be no big thing, and the obvious step if you already had that equipment set up to every tool in your garage, which I do...

The problem is that most of my reloading is steel or HW shot, and I hand weigh every single powder charge and shot load, and when weighing powder even a slight breeze will change your digital scale results by .1 or .2 grains, breathing on it wrong can do it-- that's a lot of air pressure force when air movement is applied over 9 sq inches or so. So I can't have any air movement going on for that.
byrdog
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:59 pm  Reply with quote

I have almost no sight and am missing a finger because I did Not follow My own saftey advise. I dont think it can be said enough. Wear Saftey Glasses, Respirators, gloves and anything else that will protect you from the hazards of having fun. the irony here is that you will probably never notice when the stuff is doing what it is for.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:50 pm  Reply with quote

I thought heavy metal went out with big hair and orange pants 25 years ago.

byrdog
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:06 pm  Reply with quote

Who is Lemmy? this is a 10 point question

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:33 pm  Reply with quote

Motorhead never did much for me to be honest but if you had to listen to heavy metal would have been at the top. Keith Emerson of ELP passing last month was a hit in the gut however.

I don't use #9 shot much anymore and for years have used 4 bags of it for sound and vibration damping between the floor standing Polks and the Velodyne Sub. With a Denon amp of course for that classic rock sound. Still looking for pixie dust to sprinkle on the cables.

And of course, be safe while at the loading bench!