16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns Wanted or For Sale  ~  WTB:16 ga O/U (inexpensive but not junk)
Msuiceman
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:37 pm  Reply with quote

Looking for an inexpensive, yet functional 16ga o/u. I have several 16s, (sweet 16, stevens single, 11-48, 870), but I don't have an o/u. Though at this time I don't have a lot of money to throw at one either.

Does anyone have a functional, reliable o/u with 28" barrels (screw in chokes preferred) that is somewhat affordable?

Even though I drool at the krieghoffs and the faustis and the like, they just aren't in the cards right now for me.
Jakeismydog2
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:16 pm  Reply with quote

I don't know what your wanting to spend. However there is a nice Marlin model 90 on Gunbroker now. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=551122062 If you really wanted choke tubes you could send them off to Mike Orlen.
gunsrus
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:46 am  Reply with quote

Browning ?
putz463
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:20 am  Reply with quote

What price range is affordable to you?

skeettx
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:47 am  Reply with quote

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=551122062

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=550970637

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=551735161

Last edited by skeettx on Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Msuiceman
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:55 pm  Reply with quote

yeah, I saw the stoeger and the tristar. I personally don't care for marlins (had a bad experience).

I would pull the trigger on the stoeger other than his asking price is the same as it was used, and its no collector piece nor in pristine shape. He had it higher than new, so I'm seeing if a couple more no-bid postings he will come down in price.

the tristar is far above what it was new for the gun, and its no collectors item either. I just refuse to pay a premium like that. I can get it for about 300 cheaper new.

I guess my next question... if you had to choose between a stoeger condor or a tristar hunter ex, which would it be?
Jakeismydog2
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:37 am  Reply with quote

I would take the Marlin in a heartbeat over those options. I would be really surprised to hear you had a bad experience with a model 90.
skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:31 am  Reply with quote

I also had issues with a Marlin.
The gun was GREAT
BUT it beat the heck out of my middle finger and caused
it to turn black and swell and throb, YUK
So the gun went away

Mike

Last edited by skeettx on Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total
JNW
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:02 pm  Reply with quote

Msuiceman,
I appreciate your dilemma-you want a good shotgun but can't/won't spend a lot of money. You haven't told us your budget, but may I assume it's under $1,000? If so, then a Marlin M90 is far and away your best bet. With shotguns, as in much in life, you get what you pay for. If you want a really good gun with choke tubes to last the rest of your life save up for another 6 months, sell some other guns, work some overtime or sell some plasma. The other guns mentioned above are all serviceable, but the Browning is exponentially better.
Of course, sometimes amazing deals do show up and if you are fast and fortunate you can snag a bargain. Some undeserving yahoo scored a 16 ga Merkel 200E on this very website recently for a mere $750. What a butt head!

I don't ever buy toys with a credit card, but Browning only makes 16 ga Citoris every few years and there are still new ones available. Do yourself a favor and buy yourself one now.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Over-Under-Shotguns/BI.aspx?g=300003&mfg=1000049

Regards,
Jeff
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:52 pm  Reply with quote

I had a Tristar in .410. The gun was a turd to put it mildly. Poor quality and often would not fire the second shot.
If you can find one, the American Arms Silver or Silver II has a reputation as a nice gun for a low price. The DeHaan U2 16ga. (made by Huglu) is supposedly a good gun for little scratch as well.

bigboyd4466
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:26 am  Reply with quote

I have a Stoeger Condor I in 16ga . The fit and finish are not the finest in the world , the grip is a bit thick . It goes bang every time I pull the trigger , and orange things break , birds fall from the sky and furry things stop running . For a $300 dollar , I don't give a fat rats patootie about taking it out in weather or through ugly brush , it's been a fantastic shotgun . I'd buy another in a heartbeat .

Msuiceman
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:42 pm  Reply with quote

Found a citori made in 1988 for a real nice price... It was a user but the metal is real nice, wood has a few dings and very shallow scrapes. Nothing that I wouldn't put on it in the 27 years this has existed. Picking it up on Friday.

28" barrels
Blued receiver
Comes with a set of chokes and wrench.
rjlance
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:05 pm  Reply with quote

You made a wise decision. You can't go wrong with a Citori. Then again, I am a little prejudiced as I own 7 Citoris . All gauges covered. 5 lightning models and 2 (410 and 12) skeet models. My hunting buddies give me the business on this but have noticed that all of them own at least 1 and covet a few of mine. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Sounds like your Citori has what I would call carry wear and has been hunted. As long as the tang lever is not past 6 o'clock it has a ton of life in it.

JNW
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:34 pm  Reply with quote

Congrats!
I know you'll like your "new" Citori. I shot a Browning SxS today and thoroughly enjoyed it. Please show us pics when you get it!
Regards,
Jeff
Msuiceman
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:30 pm  Reply with quote

I'm already chomping at the bit to pick it up. I can't wait... In like a little kids at Christmas.