16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Economics of reloading shotshells
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:50 pm  Reply with quote

AmericanMeet wrote:
Dukxdog-

"...I trust that if you're going to post such information on the internet..."

A lot of things have changed since 9/11. Not all have been for the good. Think first before putting your business out on the Net. Nobody knows who might be monitoring our discussions or why.

LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS.
Roadkill
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:55 pm  Reply with quote

SAAMI is not a US Federal agency and its recommendations are advisory, and are not US law and are not enforceable - UNLESS your local fire/building code has adopted them!
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:11 pm  Reply with quote

While the SAMI powder storage guidelines are helpful, as noted they aren't laws. However, the United States Code is Law and the Code of Federal Regulations have the power of law. they are what the Dept of Transportation, the BATFE and other agencies enforce. While they don't address solid propellants (which is what smokeless powder is) as an explosive, they do list several chemicals that are considered explosives and that listing includes ingredients in many powders, particularly double base powders. the definitions include statements such as chemicals that can be made to explode. Put a triple charge of Bullseye in a cartridge and see if the resulting firing meets the definition of explode. The regulations also prohibit storage of explosives of any amount in a residential area.

Now in case you haven't noticed, several government agencies have shown the propensity for interpreting laws and regulations to fit their desires for expanded enforcement. So go ahead, why don't those of you that claim there is no law against you having large quantities of powder in your loading room print-up an inventory and post it on the internet for all to see. then let us know how that works out for you.
dukxdog
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:40 am  Reply with quote

I'm sure you know that smokeless powders are legally classified "propellents" not explosives. Your analogy of "a triple charge of Bullseye" is no more relevant than someone shooting a canister of Tannerite (which is also not considered an explosive).

AM you were called out and you have diminished your own credibility.

"A gun should be a thing of beauty, something which gives its owner pride and pleasure. For that reason, most men will buy the best gun they can afford. With a good gun on his arm, a man becomes a sporting gentleman, both on the field and off."
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:31 pm  Reply with quote

dukxdog wrote:

AM you were called out and you have diminished your own credibility.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA.

I wasn't "called out". I merely noted the current regs and that the courts/agencies trend toward stepping on individual rights. But if you want to post the inventory of your propellents, feel free.
Dave In AZ
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:39 pm  Reply with quote

kennedy756 wrote:
16gaugeguy wrote:
For many of us, reloading is not about economics. It's about freedom and independence. I'm certain many here would agree with me on this.

I agree, I like my freedom to load what and when I want...

I'm pretty sure that invoking Big Brother possibly monitoring 16ga.com and visiting you for possibly having enough supplies stockpiled to possibly violate what may possibly be applicable and enforceable regulations... is the EXACT OPPOSITE of the "freedom and independence" spoken of above.

I'm not sure if anyone is actually disagreeing here, but there are certainly two different mindsets at work here.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:59 pm  Reply with quote

"I'm pretty sure that invoking Big Brother possibly monitoring 16ga.com and visiting you for possibly having enough supplies stockpiled to possibly violate what may possibly be applicable and enforceable regulations... is the EXACT OPPOSITE of the "freedom and independence" spoken of above.

I'm not sure if anyone is actually disagreeing here, but there are certainly two different mindsets at work here."

Revealing too much of our personal business on the I-net can have some very tragic consequences. There are far too many cretins of all persuasions prowling the I-net looking for info about what others do or have or where they are to consider.

I'll be the first to admit I've been as guilty as anyone here of divulging perhaps too much info about my pastimes, what I own, or where I spend my time. But based on what I've recently been seeing, I've not been all that wise to have done so.

So I would not worry too much about the much fabled "BIG BROTHER". BB is mostly urban myth. There are too many other real predators out there watching and waiting for the chance to swoop in for a kill. Just sayin'.
Charlie16ga
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:29 pm  Reply with quote

Since in some circles I am considered an agent for the man I'll tell you that most government interest in you begins with a complaint usually by a neighbor or a frenemy (I think that is accurate use). Very little comes from internally driven research or aggressive investigation.

This statement includes city, county, state, or federal interest. I hate to say it but locals that have a beef with you or how you act make up nearly all the time of law enforcement from local to state. Hell, us local governments struggle to ever get follow up out of a fed (and i have plenty of experience with Epa, FEMA, Fbi, Dea, Hud, and Fda).

02' Rem 870 Exp
53' Rem 870 Wing
53' Mar 90 DT
50' Mar 90 DT
47' Rem 31L
46' Win 12 (2)
33' Rem 31