16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Is reloading the 16 ga economical - now?
Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:47 am  Reply with quote

Another reason to reload is to make loads that you can't find on the shelf. I recently purchase an LC Smith with super tight chokes and I tested some loads with the extreme spreaders from BP and liked them so much I loaded up a couple hundred! Now I just have to order some more!

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235
Jagdhund
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:50 am  Reply with quote

I reload primarily, because I like to craft my own ammo. I like the whole process of perusing the manuals to select a load, gathering the components and popping those newly minted rounds out of the crimping die.

Charlie16ga
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:27 am  Reply with quote

I too find reloading an occasional enjoyment and a way to tailor my ammo to use. Additionally I can color code my shells.

02' Rem 870 Exp
53' Rem 870 Wing
53' Mar 90 DT
50' Mar 90 DT
47' Rem 31L
46' Win 12 (2)
33' Rem 31
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:10 pm  Reply with quote

A recent check of Nice Shot's website shows the difference in monetary cost between hand loading a 1 ounce 16 ga shell and purchasing factory loaded 1 0z shells is negligible- so if you're hand loading with the idea of saving money- you should re-calculate the costs.
BarkeyVA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:55 pm  Reply with quote

If one is starting from scratch, what is the least amount one would have to spend to buy the necessary reloading equipment?

wellshooter
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 7:07 am  Reply with quote

Americameet - A recent check of Nice Shot's website shows the difference in monetary cost between hand loading a 1 ounce 16 ga shell and purchasing factory loaded 1 0z shells is negligible- so if you're hand loading with the idea of saving money- you should re-calculate the costs.

For me the cost is more - if you compare it to buying Herters. I could get the cost down a little more with huge bulk buys.

BarkeyVA - If one is starting from scratch, what is the least amount one would have to spend to buy the necessary reloading equipment?

A used press and a couple of specialty tools cost me about $150. Reconfiguring space to work in about another $200.

But I actually have some loads I like now.

16 ga. Citori White Lightning
3- 16 ga. Remington M 31's
16 ga. Ithaca M 37 Featherlight
Dave In AZ
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 10:19 am  Reply with quote

BarkeyVA wrote:
If one is starting from scratch, what is the least amount one would have to spend to buy the necessary reloading equipment?

16ga reloaders are hard to find used and so cost a bit more. Mec600jr might be $100 if you wait around a ling time. watching craigslist and ebay. I got one for $45 after about 1.5 years. You can buy a Lee Loadall II for 60 or so, I used one for years and years to make acceptable hunting loads. Wouldnt go back to it now though.
Brewster11
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 11:02 am  Reply with quote

Quote:
A recent check of Nice Shot's website shows the difference in monetary cost between hand loading a 1 ounce 16 ga shell and purchasing factory loaded 1 0z shells is negligible- so if you're hand loading with the idea of saving money- you should re-calculate the costs.

If you zoom in on the picture, it looks the offer is for a box of 10 rounds. That makes the Nice Shot factory loads roughly double the price of ITX handloads ($3 per round vs $1.50). The specs on ITX are very similar to Nice Shot. Both are outstanding notox pellets.
Charlie16ga
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 12:14 pm  Reply with quote

As far as cost to start from 100% scratch is an expierence I recently have (2 years or more ago).

I tried to be both patient and opportunistic.

Mec - $55
Tools - $75
Manauals - $0 (Hodgdon, alliant, and claybuster can start you out).
Powder - assume at first your testing I'd grab some unique, green dot, and longshot so $65.
Shot - this gets expensive, I figure about 300 to 375 rounds per 25 pound bag and $1.50 a pound.
Hulls - grafs. Buy enough cheddite there to keep delivery price per round low, my goal is wait for free delivery or in store pick, manage to keep most mine around $10 per 100.
Wads - figure on private or store deals to keep 250 around $8.
osc - with tool this should be free using cereal boxes.
Wad filler - with a tool this should be free using a old wool coat from 2nd hand store or cereal that came with box (see above).

I'd say a good start for someone serious about making a home of the gauge would be around $300 to $400 over the course of 6 months as you wait for the right deals to come along. I was able to beat some of these prices above by luck and patience and effort. Had to have some cash on hand occasionally to take advantage (sp16 for $7 a bag, cheddite hulls for $5 per 100, powders for $18 a pound, free hulls, shop closing doors selling me shot for $1 a pound).

02' Rem 870 Exp
53' Rem 870 Wing
53' Mar 90 DT
50' Mar 90 DT
47' Rem 31L
46' Win 12 (2)
33' Rem 31
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 1:47 pm  Reply with quote

Economy in reloading is all about how much you shoot. If you only shoot a half dozen boxes a year -- hunting I presume -- reloading isn't for you, for sure. However, if you want to be a proficient shot, a couple of boxes per week on average is a good start. If you shoot just 2 boxes a week, that's 100 boxes a year -- ten flats, 2500 shells. If you can't beat retail prices and pay for loading equipment at even 1000 shells per year, then you're just not trying. So anyone saying reloading doesn't make economic sense should kindly open their eyes to the fact that it certainly does to many of us.

I can beat those Herter's 1 ounce loads by right around $1 a box, even with today's $40/25 lb shot and $20/lb powder. There is no need to spend $2.50 to $3.50 per box for new primed empties!! Those Herter's shells are a great value, and a great way to get good, versatile Cheddite empties, with good crimp memory. Those new primed Cheddites will never crimp as nicely, nor will they last longer.

The savings reaped by reloading also depend on what loads you want to shoot. If I want good hunting loads, I can beat the prices of factory loads by at least half, even with small quantities. If I want special loads (short length, light loads, spreader, buffer, non-toxic, etc. etc.), I can again, beat retail prices by at least half. Anyone can if they want to. And that includes justifying the price of tools.

It is not uncommon on forums to hear some whining about the prices of a good reloading tool. The answer is always the MEC 600 Jr. That's all you'll ever need unless you are reloading several thousand per year. The cost is easy to recoup if you're committed to shoot enough to maintain your skills and enthusiasm. Can't find an inexpensive used one? Again, you're just not trying hard enough. MEC 600's are everywhere. Can't find a 16 ga 600? Buy a 12 or 20 gauge cheap, and call MEC and buy a set of 16 ga dies appropriate to the version of 600 you've got. MEC offers a wealth of experience and assistance.

Sorry about the rant, but I'm tired of hearing folks say reloading is not worth it.
wa chukar hunter
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 3:33 pm  Reply with quote

I have a MEC 600 Jr 16 ga that I have had for years - I bought a few new components that got lost over the years $50 or so - can't find powder for less than $25 per pound and shot was about $42 for a bag - Wads I ordered 750 for $30 for BP

Brewster11
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 11:49 am  Reply with quote

Reloading really makes economic sense for me mostly for nontoxic, which is required in much of WA. I detest steel shot, but the retail price of tungsten etc is almost prohibitive.

But I also reload for the enjoyment of it all. And having wandered down the lesser-used path of 2 1/2" shells, the challenge and satisfaction has been all the greater. It has been a pleasant surprise that most of the popular 16ga loads actually fit much better in the 2 1/2" hull, no spacers, breakfast cereal, or whatever needed.