16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Punctured primers
Little Creek
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:57 pm  Reply with quote

A fellow at the range yesterday showed me a fired 16 gauge reload with a punctured primer. The reload was a 1 ounce, Remington hull, with a W 209 primer. The gun was a near new CZ sxs. The primer was flush with the base.

What is the probable cause? How dangerous is this condition?

I have seen this happen in various shells from time to time, and in various guns sometimes with factory loads. The CZ is the newest gun I've seen do this.
gjw
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:05 pm  Reply with quote

Hi, what brand of primer is he using? Some are more "soft" than others and may tend to puncture more (Cheddites for one). Also the length of the firing pins can cause this. A case in point is my 16ga D. Gotobed 16b hammergun. When I first got her, almost every primer was pierced, I was using RST's (which use Cheddite primers)and solved the problem by having the strikers shortened up some and the headspace adjusted. Some guns will pierce primers more than others, just depends. As to being dangerous, not all that much to worry about. The problem will be firing pin erosion from the primers if they are not cleaned.

Hoped this helped some.

Good Luck!

Greg

usafa71
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 6:10 am  Reply with quote

What was the reload? What powder and what wad was used in the RGL hull and WW 209 primer? Was it a published load, and from what source?

wellshooter
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 6:16 am  Reply with quote

I have had trouble with punctured primers on factory RGL's in 16 gauge. I switched to Herters and never had one since. I'm reloading Herter's with W 209 primers and haven't seen a punctured primer yet.

The danger is to the gun's firing pin. With enough punctured primers the firing pin will start to erode, leading to more punctured primers at first and eventually not enough pin left to ignite the primer.

JMO. Smile

16 ga. Citori White Lightning
3- 16 ga. Remington M 31's
16 ga. Ithaca M 37 Featherlight
gjw
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 6:37 am  Reply with quote

Hi, guess I should have put on my glasses. I see the primer was a Win 209, sorry. Then the problem should be the firing pins.

Best!

Greg

Square Load
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 8:23 am  Reply with quote

I have loaded a ton of Rem GL and Win CF hulls with Win 209 primers and shot them in many different guns and have never had a pierced primer.

Like wellshooter I have also had pierced primers using new factory Rem GL's. The last box I shot had 4 pierced primers in one box! Shocked

Current 16ga. Stable

Browning Citori Gr I
Browning Belgium Sweet 16
A.H. Fox Sterlingworth
Remington 11-48
Remington 31
Remington 870
Geco/J.P. Sauer BLNE
Winchester Mod 12
Griffon
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 1:09 pm  Reply with quote

I've had numerous punctured primers with the Remington RGL 16ga. I've had numerous boxes of RGLs with two different types of primers in the same box. I've had no punctured primers Win or Cheditte 209 with my 1000's of reloads. Try some different shells.

DanLee
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 6:03 am  Reply with quote

My experience with pierced primers is that they tend to be gun dependent. Citoris are prone to it. Remingtons are not, probably because their firing pins are a little larger and more rounded. Some of the German guild guns are very prone to it, but that may be because their firing pins are already eroded and need to be replaced.

As for which primers are most likely to pierce, I'd put Cheddites ahead of the others. The least likely are probably Wolf 209s. Those are so hard that they barely exhibit a dimple after firing.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 1:43 pm  Reply with quote

DanLee says, "My experience with pierced primers is that they tend to be gun dependent. Citoris are prone to it..."

Based on my own experience, I strongly disagree here. In fact, this is only time I've heard of this problem as being common to the Citori. Frankly, I'm baffled.

I've owned and shot quite a bunch of Citori models in all the gauges over many years. I can't remember ever having the problem. It might have happened, but it's certainly been rare enough that I've not noticed it. This includes all the factory loads and my reloads I've ever fired in any of my Citori models. That would make a considerable pile of spent hulls.

I have had a few failures to fire in a couple of my Citori models caused by overly hard primes and too deeply or too loosely seated ones (mine or the factorys' fault). Others here have too. But pierced primers has not been a problem commonly reported about the Citori. Perhaps others might want to comment.
DanLee
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 3:06 pm  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
pierced primers has not been a problem commonly reported about the Citori. Perhaps others might want to comment.

Indeed they might. I can only report my own experience.

Dan
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 7:46 pm  Reply with quote

Once the primer has been pierced, the entire charge of that particular round of ammunition has a vent hole, in addition to the large one at the muzzle.
Depending on design, age, and strength of the action, the danger could be to the action, the head of the stock, or the shooters face, eyes or hands.

It isn't anything to take lightly.

Best,
Ted