16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Double XX Magnum loads
Chopperlumps
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:10 pm  Reply with quote

The Winchester XX magnums were not buffered in shot sizes 4or smaller. Federals "Premiums" were #4 or larger. Federals 1 1/4 mag 16ga has copper plated shot and is not buffered now. they run $25.00 a box.
The winchester xx load was put in thier compresion formed hull.It was intended for duck shooting.It is a SLOW Load. The buffering reduces deformity of the shot at ignition by supporting the pellets at the interstiscies ( the spaces the spheres dont fill )when the primer is fired. If you add a long forcing cone and a bore of .670 and an almost modifeid choke( a constriction of .11 for 16 ga) the pellet counts are truely full choke counts (at 40yds) but the patterns are very even instead of to dense in the center. the rounder pellets in higher numbers will travel down range farther because they fly a truer straighter path, so by using 6 or 4 shot that carry more energy farther, that 16 ga has more range than a mod choke should have.
I used to have a fellow named Stan Baker rebore barrels fo me and he taught me a lot about not banging up the pellets on the way down the barrel. Stan is dead now,but he built a lot of barrels for profesional gamers.
I rebor my own barrels now and I love working on adjusting and tweeking a 16ga gun to do the impossible. very rewarding as it results in consistant performance and birds in the bag.
Did you know that Balistic Products 12ga "BP12" is a 16ga size wad. Use it with thier 16ga gas seal and buffered magnums of 1 1/4 oz are easy to make.