16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Fiochi hull vs cheddite?
old colonel
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 3:42 pm  Reply with quote

How close are fiochi hulls to cheddite?

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:39 pm  Reply with quote

Well . . . When you set them right next to each other, they are about that close! Wink

Sorry, Har, Har . . . I suppose you mean how equivalent they are for reloading. If I recall correctly, Ballistic Products (FWIW) seems to consider any of the Reiffenhauser hulls with the plastic base on the inside equivalent, such as Fiocchi, Cheddite and their Multi-Hull, which is made by some Italian company whose name starts with "M" and ends with "i", that I cannot remember now. For sure they load the same -- capacity-wise. For sure, they work well with the same kind of wads -- Gualandi, B&P, etc. I have noticed occasional slight differences in base-wad shape in 12 gauge, but not in 16's, 20's, 28's and .410's. They seem to have just a flat basewad with and upturned edge of maybe a millimeter or two height. I consider them to produce equivalent internal and external ballistics. Others might not, and I'm sure we'll now hear from them, but I've seen nothing to make me think they they should not be equivalent.
scraggley
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 2:54 pm  Reply with quote

Has anyone noticed that the current Fiocchi hulls as offered by Ballistic Products now have the same base stampings as the Cheddite hulls they have sold for years? This could be a paine in the butt if they get mixed in together. Especially as they use different primer sizes. I believe the Rio hulls (which also use a different primer) have the same headstamp. Maybe a good idea to avoid having different hulls with the same colors and/or base height!
Art

byrdog
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 4:14 pm  Reply with quote

RIO has a heavier ribbing I like RIO hulls the best. Nobel primers fit like the Rio's. If you use Win 572 I have read that the hull type is not an Issue. I have seen no discernible difference in performance of the various Reifenhauser type plastic shells. I have some New Primed TULA hulls in 12 ga, the seller said that they were Fiocchi but they are not. the head is identical to the russian ammo a walmart called Suprima. I shot 100 clay targets with them today and reloaded them with Chedite primers and shot another 100. and they are good to go again. Very economical

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 5:22 pm  Reply with quote

The oversize primer thing is a nuisance so I have not mixed any Rio/ Fiocchi hulls into my reloading stuff. It's not worth bothering with getting yet more types of primers. The two hulls sell new for about the same price last I looked (too much). When Cabela's has the Herter's (Cheddite hull) on sale it is almost as cheap just to buy the ammo.
Now if a large supply of once fired hulls were available for a real low price, I would say grab them.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 11:40 am  Reply with quote

old colonel wrote:
How close are fiochi hulls to cheddite?

The internal capacity and base wad shape are close enough to allow them to be safely reloaded if the load recipe is also a safe one. However, I advise folks to keep the hulls separated and not mix them together when loading them up or when shooting them. Doing so will help preserve ballistic uniformity and performance. The hulls may also wear out at different rates. Why ask for problems. Keep them separate, and you'll have no worries.