16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Sticky Firing Pin Q's
Terry Imai
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:41 pm  Reply with quote

I've just got off the phone with my gunsmith who probably knows more about doubles that most anyone else in this country (he is originally from Purdeys). I explained the situation to him and he knows the recent 525 are having trigger problems and that you should return the gun for warranty work. If your trip is coming up too soon for you to return your gun, maybe taking a backup gun is smart insurance (it's smart any time). I asked this gun maker his feelings with WD40 and fine guns. He sprays it on various components and then uses an air compressor to remove all excess fluid. He believes WD40 works fine for protecting metal where lubrication is not the number 1 consideration. For the hinge pin, he recommends a spot vaseline with a little 3 in 1 oil already mixed in with it. He doesn't bellieve in putting any lubricant in the firing pin channel since most Americans have a tendency to over oil their guns and leave them standing barrel up with the oil messing up the trigger and stock. I do put a spot of Breakfree CLP every 1k rounds and let the gun stand barrel up. After that, I store all of my guns barrel down.

To each their own and just my $.02....
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:30 am  Reply with quote

Sounds like the man's experience and use is pretty much in line with mine Terry. Break open shotguns of any type are old technology. The types of lubricants that will work well and the application techniques have changed very little in a hundred years. In some ways, the new modern lubes will have added benifits like better rust prevention and better lubricity. However, hinge guns must be frequently cleaned and relubed on their external parts and not done internally very often unless they are exposed to high moisture and corrosive conditions like salt air. By the very nature of any double gun, the externally applied oils and greases will pick up grit and grime and must be wiped off and reapplied often. So using those lubes and oils that are inexpensive and easy to get might be a wise thing to do.

CLP, Breakfree, and other modern spray or drop on lubes work best on repeaters where working parts are constantly sliding, rubbing, and banging against each other. Also, heavy greases and oils just gum these actions up. I use Remlube with Teflon in all my repeaters, because I got a case of it cheap. The stuff works fine, but needed frequent wiping off and reapplication internally. Otherwise, the same problem with grit and grime collecting in the interior of the gun will happen and will accelorate wear.

As far as the newest batch of Citori 16 ga. giuns, there seems to be a quality control problem not typuical of Miroku standards. I did hear from an insider that Miroku had wanted to postpone shipment for several months but had its feet held to the contractual fire so to speak. Perhaps they wanted some time to check the guns out and do any refitting to fix the minor problems they found. However, the wholesalers might have been wanting to fill pending orders before the hunting season, and before anticipation cooled off.

I'd say this is probably about as close to the facts as any other scenario. Miroku also has an international name to protect and has been pretty reliable quality wise over the last decade or so. Either way, Browning America will make it right. They will honor any warranty work and look to Miroku to help out with replacement parts and compensation for any added expenses. As a buyer, I would not get too worried. The guns will be made right.