16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Imperial shotshells
MagicD
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:37 pm  Reply with quote

Ran across 16 gauge shotshells in green boxes labeled Imperial.
The writing on the boxes other than the word Imperial is Spanish.
This lot are 7 1/2 s 27 gr mm67.
My memory of Imperial was a Canadian manufacture,clearly these are not.
Anyone familiar with hem?
skeettx
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:19 pm  Reply with quote

Nope
Picture of box??

Mike

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:17 pm  Reply with quote

Imperial was a name for cartridges from CIL -- note the red CIL oval brand on the top of the box in your photo. That is Canadian Industries Limited. Those shells in paper or plastic were quite common in North Dakota when I was a kid. We did not regard them highly, as we though they were down there in quality below Federals, and the hulls certainly did not re-load well or last long if reloaded. We had plenty of compression-formed hulls then, even in 16, as well as the original Remington and Peters fiber-bottomed SP's.

Remember Holiday brand shotshells? I think they were made by CIL, if I recall correctly. They were a cheap unsophisticated shell without the new fangled one-piece wads like Remington Power Pistons, or protective sleeves like the Win-West Mark V's (early days for Double A's). Same hard to reload hull and weak brass base as CIL's, though not an un-handsome and durable shell as originally loaded. They had the same swirly sealed inverted type of crimp as original Rem-Peters SP's. Very hard to re-crimp properly with a MEC 300. In my college days at The University of North Dakota I would buy gas at the Holiday station close by on N. Washington Street and University Avenue (around $.35 per gal.), and fill the back seat and trunk of my '64 Dodge Dart GT with Holiday clay pigeons (about $1.35 a box of 135 on sale) for our hand-thrown games at home. Being a devoted reloader, I left the Holiday shotshells to others. The pretty boxes with the wildlife scenes are really collectable nowadays. I didn't think much of the art then, as I was hooked on the Peter's boxes, as well as The Federal mallard box and the various Win/West boxes, even though they didn't have anything for game scenery by then.
madtrapper143
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:38 am  Reply with quote

My limited search revealed a shot shell marketed by Eley hawk in the UK. It is loaded by MAXAM (Spain I believe) Box is marked Imperial and all other markings are in Spanish. Options vary from game loads to target loads. Hope this helps.

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/madtrapper143/media/maxam20imperial20cartridges_zpsv34mbgtc.jpg.html] [/URL]

Darryl

Last edited by madtrapper143 on Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:41 am; edited 1 time in total

MagicD
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:39 am  Reply with quote

Here it is

skeettx
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:06 am  Reply with quote

Thank you
This is a new brand and not the old brand
Mike

gloftness
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:23 am  Reply with quote

Max Smoke,,

I bought a case of the CIL shells at the 16ga shoot. They should smack some big ND or SD roosters this fall.

[URL=http://s1049.photobucket.com/user/gloftness/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps7u09gq3j.jpeg.html] [/URL]

But they came in a UMC box

[URL=http://s1049.photobucket.com/user/gloftness/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpswpj3xscm.jpeg.html] [/URL]

The Winchesters Rem's and the Federals were in a PETERS box though....

[URL=http://s1049.photobucket.com/user/gloftness/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsmvttzojb.jpeg.html] [/URL]

You missed a good shoot! And some neat stuff for sale.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:11 am  Reply with quote

Damn, you scored big, Gary! That's a pretty heavy load in those CIL's, eh? (Read with a Canadian accent, eh.) And yeah, I big time missed this years 16 gauge shoot. Cheers!
gloftness
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:11 am  Reply with quote

Good loads for my 30" m12 or 30" m21
Very Happy
Jagdhund
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:04 pm  Reply with quote

gloftness: If you have access to a chronograph, you might want to check the velocity on those old CILs. I found part of a box of 20 ga. CIL rounds (although not the Imperial variety, but the cheaper "Canuck Standard") in my dad's stash. The box and rounds looked factory fresh. However, I put them over my Chrony and the velocity was around 920 fps. I'll just add them to the collection.

Carlos
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:32 am  Reply with quote

MaximumSmoke wrote:
Damn, you scored big, Gary! That's a pretty heavy load in those CIL's, eh? (Read with a Canadian accent, eh.) And yeah, I big time missed this years 16 gauge shoot. Cheers!

We talk normally. it's Y'all that fall strangely on my ear. Smile Wink
grousepointer16
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:29 am  Reply with quote

Gloftness
Are those shells the plastic case or are they the waxed paper cases? When I was a teenager just starting my official hunting career I shot the 1-1/4 loads almost exclusively out of my Dad's model Win model 12 16 ga. I used to buy all my ammo at Home Hardware or Canadian Tire. I harvested hundreds of ducks with those heavy load 16 gauges.

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:00 am  Reply with quote

I'm an inbe-tweener, Carlos! North Dakota is pretty far north, and half the kids in my dorm at UND were Canadian (and all the hockey players except two), so their accent sounds pretty normal to me. ND is pretty Scandanavian in accent -- like my ancestors (Norwegian -- not Swedish -- puh-leeze!). Then again I spent some summers as a kid in Mississippi, so I can even understand the sing-song of "the deep south". Frankly, accent-wise, my preference is Walter Cronkite. Laughing

Cheers!