16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Collecting one make of gun only?
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:53 am  Reply with quote

Related to the previous thread about 16ga only shooters, I'm curious if anyone here collects only one make of gun? The idea of a single maker collection appeals to me for some reason. I'm currently heading in that direction with Husky's, although I do own a Belgian hammer gun also.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:33 am  Reply with quote

I definitely have my favorites but appreciate the differences in workmanship and style that different manufactures bring. I like my Fox's best but also enjoy LC's, my AYA, NID, Lefever, Rizzini, Sauer and a few others. One brand would be boring and mundane to me. However when I stick to shooting one single gun for a while my efficiency increases.
Beagleman
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:35 am  Reply with quote

I know of two- one collects anything Winchester,rifles, shotguns, advertising... anything. The other has strictly Parker and they are something to see. I ,on the other hand, am subject to collecting anything from a hammer gun to single shot It to an old pump or the occasional sweet 16. My only criteria for buying is will I shoot and use it. The guy with all the PARKER'S NEVER shoots them!

Last edited by Beagleman on Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:40 pm; edited 4 times in total

jschultz
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:35 am  Reply with quote

I'm not much of a collector and until recently I had 3 Browning BSS's, 2 in 20 GA. and 1 12 Ga.
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:37 am  Reply with quote

I have a fetish in my collection(I use the term loosely) of Beretta shotguns. The 16 gauge leads the list with a few 12s and a couple of 20s. The collection is really a group of well maintained shooters. They have been fitted with recoil pads and some with Briley chokes. Their configurations are pretty close to the same being good right hand shooters. The 16 ga. is my favorite and my primary hunting gun. I'm not certain if I am cured yet, but I do think I maybe in remission.
Shoot Straight and often,
Ron,
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:52 am  Reply with quote

Good responses. I think maybe the reason I'm narrowing it down is because I've owned, sold, and worked on so many different makes. The advantage to that is that I've been able to shoot and handle a bunch and see what works and feels best for me, which is why I've settled on husky hammer guns. They are light (The heaviest are my mod. 48 12b and mod 44 14b, both at 6 1/2lbs, followed by my mod. 100 16b at 6lbs even), well regulated and shoot to point of aim, and I seem to shoot them very well. And unlike Lefevers, I don't feel I'm potentially ruining a classic piece of American history by customizing/working on them. It's only taken me a hundred or so different guns to figure all that out. Rolling Eyes

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Laxcoach1
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:15 am  Reply with quote

I decided several years ago to stick with a "subcatagory" of one brand--- pre-'13 L C Smiths. My reasoning---1) quality and workmanship, 2) relative scarcity, 3) related to 2---- the difficulty of finding them in nice original condition has put limitations on my spending.
So far I have accumulated nearly all of the examples of the grades in nearly all of the gauges, and the quest continues !
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:27 am  Reply with quote

I was thinking last night as I tried to fit another gun into the closet that houses my gun safe which is full, that I should get a second gun safe dedicated to anything Ithaca. Would have a long ways to go to fill that one though have found myself working on it as of late.

Really like my Italian guns anything with Rizzini in the name or Benelli or Beretta. Not sure that I am ready to sell off any of them like the girlfriend suggested I do. But am starting to narrow things down and thinking of start trading or selling off for Ithaca acquisitions and focusing on 16 ga. I won't buy a gun unless I will shoot it, however have more than a few that I have inherited which I have no plans on ever selling either.
skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:27 am  Reply with quote

Mark, your stock work is AWESOME but as far as one type and brand of gun

Nah!!

In the course of a week's dove hunting I may shoot
a pump, auto, O/U, SXS, and Lever shotguns.

Variety is the spice of life for my shotgunning.

Mike

p.s. but in dove hunting I may shoot between 200 and 300 doves in a year so I have lots of chances to use different guns, maybe this is different with northern western hunters??

Last edited by skeettx on Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:51 am; edited 4 times in total
fred lauer
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:51 am  Reply with quote

Collecting one make is like shooting trap with only one gun. You'll have a better score but my goodness it is boring. I understand your focus though Mark, having tried many and worked on a few myself. Your stock work is nothing short of amazing.

grousepointer16
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:52 am  Reply with quote

I am too weak willed to resist buying a double barrel I like that has a price tag on it. Here is a list of brands of shotguns I provide shelter too; ATA, Akkar, Browning, Bettinsoli, Franchi, Savage, Remington, Winchester, Rizzini, Zoli, Laurona, Fausti, JP Sauer, Thalmann, Simson, Mossberg, Weatherby, Lucio Loyola.......

Charlie16ga
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:59 am  Reply with quote

I limit myself to guns that go bang
Razz

02' Rem 870 Exp
53' Rem 870 Wing
53' Mar 90 DT
50' Mar 90 DT
47' Rem 31L
46' Win 12 (2)
33' Rem 31
Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:40 pm  Reply with quote

Mark, I couldn't even think of having only one type of gun. You are still young, and even though you have seen a bunch of different types, and think now that the Husky's are the Bee's Knee's, I'll bet sooner than you think, you will find something else that you just can't live without, and want to collect them!
I speak from experience, Skeettx knows what I am talking about,why do you think he has had to build a separate building for his guns?

Whatever you do, as long as you are collecting guns, you can't go wrong. More power to you! Wink

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:29 pm  Reply with quote

Cheyenne08 wrote:
Mark, I couldn't even think of having only one type of gun. You are still young, and even though you have seen a bunch of different types, and think now that the Husky's are the Bee's Knee's, I'll bet sooner than you think, you will find something else that you just can't live without, and want to collect them!
I speak from experience, Skeettx knows what I am talking about,why do you think he has had to build a separate building for his guns?

Whatever you do, as long as you are collecting guns, you can't go wrong. More power to you! Wink

Dale

You may be right Dale. Being a typical artist, I don't have unlimited funds (yet), so I have to be selective. Point well taken though!

Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:52 pm  Reply with quote

Mark, none of us on this forum has unlimited funds, you are an artist, you may never have unlimited funds. I am a broke, old, retired Army sergeant, most of my guns are NOT pristine, but are greatly valued by me for various reasons.

Time will send more firearms to you, you don't have to be rich to have quite a collection, only time and love for what you keep.

Wait a bit, my friend, you will be surprised what the future holds for you.

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...