16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Powder Scale
john555
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:28 am  Reply with quote

I am thinking of replacing my old powder scale. I have been looking at the electronic models as compared to the manual style. Any suggestions or recommendations.

Regards
John
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:04 pm  Reply with quote

I bought a Dillon cause of their reputation for good products. It was the original digital that is no longer offered. 1500 grain capacity. Household current or 9V battery. Very big slanted display. I love it and use it for all my handloading needs. Much easier to use than trying to get those little poise into those tiny notches!

I kept the old Ohaus M5 cause it wasn't eating anything but I rarely use it anymore.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:39 pm  Reply with quote

What's wrong with the old scale???did it get damaged????Mabey I am a dinosaur but I still prefer a balance beam to the digital.No batteries or other related electric problems.The digital are faster but I am not in that big of a hurry Wink
Foursquare
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:32 am  Reply with quote

I've had a PACT BBK for 12 yrs and love it.
I kept the old RCBS balance beam as a backup and to check the electronic model. They always agree within .1 grain.

The only fly in the BBK ointment, and this is true of all elec. scales, is that I have to turn off the a/c when using it. The air flow will throw off the readings by a few tenths of a grain.

Pete

" .......you have learned patience and stubbornness and concentration on what you really want at the expense of what is there to shoot. You have learned that man can as easily be debased as ennobled by a sport....."
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:42 am  Reply with quote

hoashooter wrote:
What's wrong with the old scale???did it get damaged????

No, the old 1971 vintage Ohas M5 works fine, thank you. (So did my plastic vernier caliper. But my new stainless digital one is easier to use and more foolproof.) BUT, my eyes are now 35 years older and if I have it on a workbench or table I also have to put my chin on the work surface to read the beam indicator properly. That gives me a crick in the neck. Or move it up to an eye-level shelf which makes it uncomfortably out of reach.
The scale pan balances on the beam hook which gives plenty of space for a few bullets or gunpowder. But try to weigh something bulky and you're up sh$t's creek. And it still doesn't have the 1500 grain capacity of the Dillon or the big flat platen or the really quick readout. Mine is run on household current. I guess that could be a problem during a power outage but my backup generator kicks in within seconds to power the lights anyway, so that's no big deal. I wouldn't even think about weighing gunpowder by candlelight. Get my drift?

What kind of hypocrite are you? You claim to be satisfied to live with a StoneAge type scale yet you use a new-fangled computer to communicate instead of carrier pigeon or Morse code. Use what you like and feel comfortable with. No skin off my ass. I was just giving the questioner another option which I have direct experience with.
john555
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:18 pm  Reply with quote

Good Evening Onefunzr2

Thanks for the information and saving me the trouble of responding to Hoashooter. I am a few decades older than your 35 years and along with my eyesight not being as good as it used to be, my fingers are not as nimble. The large electronic readout and no balence beam to fumble with should solve the problem.

Regards
John
hoashooter
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:46 pm  Reply with quote

Onefuzz-this old hypocrite has a Lyman scale what will weigh 1500 grains Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil And it is a balance beam Wink Wink There just needs to be moderation between the old established what works and the new------Yeah I have a computer but and by no means a geek at it---I do have 30 years of loading experience and will help anyone what has trouble whether it be advice or a few extra parts I have laying around Shocked Shocked Bottom line --what works for you don't for me Idea
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:59 am  Reply with quote

hoashooter wrote:
I do have 30 years of loading experience and will help anyone what (sic) has trouble...

John, who started this thread, is thinking of replacing his beam scale with a digital scale and specifically asked for suggestions and\or recommendations before he spent his hard-earned money. Instead of flaming me, why don't you shake the cobwebs out of your braincells and tell him all the reasons he should keep what he's got?

John, the Ohaus M5 is 35 years old, not me, and I used it exclusively until about 1997 when I decided to modernize my handloading operation. I've used the Dillon since then without one single problem. Is it more accurate than the Ohaus? No. But I find it to be more functional. I stand corrected on the capacity; it is 1200 grains, not 1500.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:49 am  Reply with quote

I was recently given a used digital scale by a retiring shooter. Its about 5 times faster and 10 times easier to check weigh powder or shot drops on.I wish I'd gotten one sooner. Always thought that my limited use would not justify the cost. WRONG--especially now that I'm slowly turning into a fumble fingered, fuzzy eyed, flubdub myself. Laughing
Highcountry
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:04 pm  Reply with quote

I have a RCBS digital model which is about 8 yrs old, and it replaced my RCBS analog model that I used since about 1980. The digital version is much easier to setup and use.

birddog
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:43 pm  Reply with quote

Evening gents,
Here's my 2 cents, looking real hard at the new digital scales and electronic powder feeders. would cut the hassles of dribbling powder by hand, punch in desired load weight and Cool there it is. I've had a Dillon electronic for 17 yrs and still have the original Herter's beam scale I got in 1974, shoot where did the time go? The old are good and so are the new, make your choice with confidence that you have done the right thing Wink
Very Happy They come out with new toys for use all the time and it just gets better Cool
Good luck, Charlie