16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Off topic neighbor boy
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:09 pm  Reply with quote

About 18 years ago, I had a neighbor who's wife died of brain cancer, leaving him with two little kids, a boy of 8 and a girl who was 4.

The brain cancer was an ugly death, and it took a toll on the entire family.

I had in my possesion two 12 gauge Mossberg 500s in 12 gauge that had been intended for two other kids, older, who both ended up in trouble with the law shortly before the Christmas they were to get them. The guns had been around my house perhaps five years at that point, new, in the box.
The boy was constantly around my home, as his Dad worked construction, and his hours went longer than the boys school. He had a key to his house, but, forgot it often, and would show up at my house, and get a snack and hang out in the garage with me, working on my cars, or, whatever, until his Dad came home. I had no kids, and was unmarried at the time, and made it a point to be home to take care of my dog, so, Trent was always welcome. I was home anyway. Eventually, that just became the routine, his Dad showed up at my house, picked up Trent, and went off to pickup the other kid at daycare. Maybe three years of that.
Well, his Dad remarried, and moved north with his new wife. Before he left, I handed one of the Mossberg's off to the boy.
We did not do a great job of staying in touch, just a few phone calls over the years. But, this past June I came home from a late shift of work to find a handwritten note, saying that if Ted still lived here to give Trenton a call. I did just that later that weekend. He is now 23 years old and will graduate from college next spring with dual majors in accounting and computer science from Mankato State university, I think. He is putting himself through school working at an oil change place, and he got a few scolorships, and he thanked me for sparking his interest in tools and the shop. He doesn't get up this way often, but, told me his sister and he stopped by while he was visiting his Dad, hoping I hadn't moved away.
We had a great conversation, with a promise to spend some time together at a later date. He told me that the gift of the shotgun was the greatest gift that anyone had ever given him, and that he had spent a lot of time shooting clays with it off the back porch with his Dad as he grew up, and wondered why I had done that for him. I just told him I thought he was a great kid, and would grow into it, learn to use it safely, and hoped he would think of me from time to time. I told him the gun hadn't cost me too much (I was an FFL dealer back then) and, I did tell him it had been intended for someone else. Things just worked out that he got it.
I still have it's twin. I haven't had the opportunity just yet, but, when I do, I'll pass it along to another kid.

It has to be a good kid, though. Good on everybody who gets hunting and shooting tradition into the hands of a deserving kid.

Best,
Ted

Savage16
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:00 am  Reply with quote

Great story Ted. Thanks for sharing.

jschultz
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:08 am  Reply with quote

More good news for Nathan!
My son is picking up the FFL and shipping costs, which means that Nathan is getting the gun at no cost. Very Happy
skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:23 pm  Reply with quote

Shocked Very Happy Laughing
AWESOME!!!!!

Tedthesurveyor
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:32 pm  Reply with quote

All great stories, and good news for Nathan! I think this kind of thread is what I like so much about this forum, some really great folks here.

wellshooter
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:47 pm  Reply with quote

Not everything worth knowing is taught in the school. I applaud those who take the time and spend the effort to introduce kids to the outdoors. If it requires them to miss a day or two of school so be it.

16 ga. Citori White Lightning
3- 16 ga. Remington M 31's
16 ga. Ithaca M 37 Featherlight
jschultz
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:27 pm  Reply with quote

I thank you guys once more for the kind words. Very Happy
Ben, one of my hunting buddies came over this morning to help me with ranch work and Nathan was cutting our lawns. He asked Nathan how things were going and Nathan told him of his good fortune and because the gun was free he was saving his money for reloading components.
Ben told him that he had a MEC Jr. that he wasn't using and offered it to Nathan. I'm sure that the gun is full choked and we're probably going to work up some spreader loads. The time at the pattern board will help Nathan become comfortable with the gun
When the gun arrives, I'll take a pic of Nathan and the gun.
Griffon
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:08 pm  Reply with quote

Very nice post! There are a lot of Nathans out there that could use a friend and mentor.

WHEAT
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:22 pm  Reply with quote

Great post! Thanks to all. Bless you Ted S. RB

Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:09 pm  Reply with quote

jschultz wrote:
I thank you guys once more for the kind words. Very Happy
Ben, one of my hunting buddies came over this morning to help me with ranch work and Nathan was cutting our lawns. He asked Nathan how things were going and Nathan told him of his good fortune and because the gun was free he was saving his money for reloading components.
Ben told him that he had a MEC Jr. that he wasn't using and offered it to Nathan. I'm sure that the gun is full choked and we're probably going to work up some spreader loads. The time at the pattern board will help Nathan become comfortable with the gun
When the gun arrives, I'll take a pic of Nathan and the gun.

Full choke can be tough for a newbie to deal with. In my collection of Mossberg 500 stuff is one of the old C-Lect choke barrels for a model 500, in 12 gauge. These were about 27" long, had no rib, and you screwed the collet in or out to adjust the choke to what you needed, from about cylinder to way extra full. I don't need it, and if Nathan can use the barrel, get me an address to ship it to, and I'll find a box and get it off to him.

I know you will take the time to show him how it works, and to pattern test it at the different settings, so he will learn to use it. I can testify that it can be screwed too tight, and will leave shredded bits of wad in the fingers that form the choke section.

Let me know when you have a chance.

Best,
Ted

jschultz
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:44 am  Reply with quote

Wow! Thanks Ted, you are a generous man. I'll get Nathan's address ASAP and Pm you. Thanks again.
jschultz
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:45 am  Reply with quote

Wow! Thanks Ted, you are a generous man. I'll get Nathan's address ASAP and Pm you. Thanks again.
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:57 am  Reply with quote

Let's do this. Tell me when the gun shows up at Nathan's house. Then I'll ship the barrel TO YOU, and you can see that he knows the correct way to install it on the gun, because you will show some supervision.

That way, we can hopefully avoid the vise grip marks on the knurled nut, or any other problems that too much enthusism, with not enough experience, sometimes causes-he is just a kid, after all. I've seen that movie, already.

It will bring further hero status in his eyes to you.

PM me your address, when the gun arrives to him.

Best,
Ted

jschultz
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:26 am  Reply with quote

Ted, PM sent.
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:22 am  Reply with quote

" Son-of-a-Gun, now where did that thing get off to?"

My thoughts to myself, as I began to look about for the C-Lect choke barrel, promised to an aspiring wingshooter. I looked in the first most likely place-no dice. I looked in the second most likely place-same deal.

What the heck? Jim will be ticked if I don't come up with that barrel!!

Checked the last place it could be, and, there it was. Whew. Now the kid will get it.

Shown here with the "New Haven" model Mossberg it came installed on. Hard to believe there was a cheaper version of the Mossberg 500, but, there was.

The New Haven came to me at no cost, so, like a slimmer version of Homer Simpson, I'll share the wealth. It wears a replacement barrel that I got from Zander's on closeout for less than $30.

The Mossberg 500 is a great starter gun, the safety is in the right spot to move on to a double or O/U, and not much goes wrong with them. I have friends who never advanced beyond one, and never needed to. I shoot the New Haven very well, use it for trap when I need to run 50 straight, or as a loaner.

Got to find a box, now.....

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/50815_600x400/] [/URL]

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/50816_600x400/] [/URL]

I always thought this would be the hot ticket for a kid, just dial up what you need, no explaining to your Dad how you couldn't find your choke tubes, or, the wrench.

Hope it works out great for Nathan.

Best,
Ted